3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Sugar Shakers (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sugar-shakers-62/)
-   -   Sugar Busters Support Board 7/28-8/3 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sugar-shakers/29842-sugar-busters-support-board-7-28-8-3-a.html)

Rosalie 07-28-2003 12:43 AM

Sugar Busters Support Board 7/28-8/3

http://members.aol.com/eldemila/sb_sign4.jpg

This is the
SUGAR BUSTERS WEEKLY SUPPORT BOARD
where all of you who are following this WOE, or are thinking about doing so, are welcome to come join in and be a part of our wonderful group.

Other than finding support and friendship on this board, we also try to do something during the the week to add a little difference to our board.

MONDAY-MOTIVIATIONAL MONDAY
TUESDAY-TUESDAYS TIPS & FACTS & CHAT AT 9:15PM EST
WEDNESDAY-WEIGH-IN WEDNESDAY
THURSDAY-THURSDAY RECIPE DAY
FRIDAY-FRIDAY FUNNIES

Please take some time to check out our extensive recipe boards. Our RECIPE BOARDS can be located at the link below:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...php?forumid=89

Look for our QUARTERLY RECIPE BOARDS to post your favorite recipes and to see the most recently posted recipes. Recipes from the quarterly boards will be archived in proper categories at some point.

We have SEVEN INFORMATIVE BOARDS!!!! Please take a few minutes to visit them! New information is continually being posted, so please make sure you visit them often!!! The boards are listed below as well as the link that will take you to the boards:

THE RECOMMENDED READING BOARD
THE TOOLS & TIPS BOARD
THE FOOD INFORMATION BOARD
MOTIVATIONAL & INSPIRING THOUGHTS BOARD
MY FAVORITE SB LEGAL FOODS
SB 2002 BIO BOARD
SB 2001/2002 PHOTO ALBUM BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...php?forumid=87

We also have a SB WEEKLY EXERCISE BOARD that you can log your daily/weekly exercises on which is located on our weekly support board:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...threadid=29841

Then there's our latest addition to the SB BOARDS which is called OFF THE EATEN PATH This board is for everything NOT related to SB. You can use this board to post questions or comments on just about anything (okay, within reason). A book you recommend, a cleaning tip, a great website deal, etc. etc. Here's the link:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...php?forumid=90

NEWBIES! (aka new members) If you would like to REPLY to any of our threads, please hit POST REPLY not NEW THREAD, then type your message in and hit SUBMIT REPLY. If you need to edit your reply, just click on edit located in the body of your post and make changes as you need to, then hit SUBMIT NOW.

WELCOME! :D

http://members.aol.com/debelli/welcome_bear.gif

Rosalie 07-28-2003 12:46 AM

GOOD MONDAY MORNING EVERYONE!

Here's this weeks
MOTIVATIONAL MONDAY
message. It's a bit different than the usual, but I thought, if you read between the lines, you can see why it's being posted:D

http://members.aol.com/debelli/monda...ng_thought.jpg

But I Don't Want to Wait THAT Long
by Charles Burke

Years ago I worked in a camera shop with a man named Sam who was constantly bemoaning his bad luck. He often talked about Mr. Dawson, a man in his seventies who was really lucky. Dawson owned buildings all over the western suburbs of Chicago.

One day when he mentioned Dawson, I commented, "Hey, Sam, you're only thirty-five now. Why don't you start buying buildings this year? By the time you're seventy-five you'll have become as rich as Dawson."

He glared at me and stated huffily, "But I don't want to wait THAT long."

It took me a while to figure it out: Sam didn't want to BECOME rich. He wanted to BE rich. No time delay, no learning, no work.

The last time I saw Sam, fifteen years later, he was fifty and still working in a camera shop for about the same pay. Still not wanting to wait.

The point here is obvious, so I won't belabor it.

However, if you have ambitions for greater wealth, here are 5 tips I've personally found useful.

1. Find somebody who's doing it

I'd never had much success until I met John, who said he'd lived in Japan for years and had made good money there.

After he returned to Japan, he phoned and invited me to come on over, too. "There's lots of work and the pay's terrific," he told me.

I didn't quite believe it would work for me, but I tried it anyway. And that was the start of a great new career - and leap in income.

I found success by following the example of somebody who was already succeeding.

2. Feel like you DESERVE success

If there's something inside you that feels you don't deserve good things, it'll try to sabotage you at the most unexpected times.

Old habits may pop back up to dilute your energies. Or you might start unintentionally alienating your most important employees, customers or suppliers.

There are a million ways to defeat yourself when you don't feel you deserve success.

How do you lock in a feeling of deserving?

Some people set aside a certain amount of time to devote to worthy causes. Others donate a tithe of their income to charity or church. Still others meditate on their oneness with their Creator.

The best approach for you will be the one that satisfies your own inner need for reassureance and a feeling of worth.

3. You're not ENTITLED to success

A common wrong turn is the attitude of entitlement.

Please understand, life does not OWE you or me anything.

It strews untold riches and joys at our feet, but it's up to us to recognize them, to reach down and pick them up.

Russell Conwell was famous for telling the story of a man who sold his farm and went off in search of diamonds. He traveled the world for decades without success.

But the man who bought that farm from him found one of the largest diamond deposits ever discovered on the African continent. The black sand in the stream running through his property was loaded with diamonds, and he became enormously wealthy.

The first man had sold his land for nearly nothing and walked away from the riches that life had literally strewn at his feet. True story, by the way.

4. Sometimes it's a grind

Most times, opportunities come in kit form. You ask life for a chance at becoming rich, and circumstances send you a problem or a puzzle.

You may notice that many other people have that same problem. Once you solve it for yourself, you can then make a very nice profit helping other people to quickly overcome the same difficulty.

Life has just given you a rich opportunity. It does that all the time, but mostly we don't notice because we're so busy griping about what a grind life is, what a raw deal we have.

5. Be thankful in advance

It's just as simple as managing well what you've already got. Appreciate and be thankful for the things you already have. Love the people who are already in your life.

Then, just to prime the pump, be thankful for even more than you have - for stuff you haven't received yet.

It is said that nature abhors a vacuum.

When you give thanks - real, soul-lifting, jubilant thanks - for things you don't have yet, nature rushes in to fill that vacuum.

It'll fill that void with all the things and qualities and people that are bubbling joyously in your heart and mind.

Of course, you can say, "Nah, it can't be that simple," lay this aside and surf on to the next site.

Or you can try these ideas.

If you do try, I believe you'll discover that life is EAGER to hand you more of what you want.

To summarize, you can simply:

1. Follow in the footsteps of somebody who's already successful. They can save you countless wrong turns.

2. Master those feelings that you don't deserve good things. Make sure your success benefits others even more than it does you.

3. Accept that life doesn't owe you anything - besides you're not yet recognizing all that it's offering you now.

4. Remember that some assembly may be required. Ask life for a cake and it may hand you flour, water, sugar and eggs.

5. Be thankful BEFORE you receive. After ordering a book from Amazon, you relax and believe it's on its way. Why not start trusting life as much as you trust Amazon?

beachfan37 07-28-2003 07:56 AM

Happy Monday

:strong: Hello Everyone

I love Mondays...it's the start of the new week and to me, it means anything I have done last week that I was not happy about I can forget and start anew! Here is my contribution to Motivational Monday:

Eliminate A Bad Habit

"We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence then, is not an act,
but a habit -"

- Aristotle -
How many little counter productive things do we do each day as a matter of course just because of little bad habits we have developed that have gone uncorrected? Bad habits are like parasites, they subtly eat away at us and we tolerate it because it is easier than making a change. They become part of our routine, always present, almost like a familiar friend.

Correcting or eliminating a bad habit is easy. It’s just like all other self-change, you have to start with wanting to change. The first step is acknowledgement. Identify the fact that you have a bad habit and recognize all the subtle little ways it holds you back or interferes with your life. The next step is commitment. Commit yourself to eliminating the counterproductive habit that you have identified. Don’t be wishy washy about it either, develop some determination about your task.

The easiest way to eliminate a bad habit is to replace it with a good habit. Replace smoking with deep breathing exercises, replace always being late with always being early, replace procrastination with a “Do it NOW” attitude, replace fretting with peaceful meditation. You get the idea. At first it takes a conscientious effort to make the substitution, in a short time the substituted activity becomes the habit.

The bottom line is, identify the bad habit, accept that it does exist and commit to making a change. You have to want to make a change, take stock in yourself, work to your betterment You’re worth it!

:) Lately I've really been trying to work on creating new habits. Eating right, excercising, not losing my temper :mad:, and seeing work as positive and something I love (which is how I use to feel).

Today is my weigh in day for Weight Watchers (I combine it with SB) and I've lost a pound which makes a total of 20 since I started back.

Well I have to go get ready for work. Everyone have a great day :p

Anna
222-196/176/140

Toni48 07-28-2003 08:59 AM

Good Monday morning. I love the motivation this morning. Yours to Beachfan. I feel ready to start the week. Didn't do so good on Sat. but yesterday was a great day. Just need to start on that water allot better. Anyway have a wonderful day everyone.

Beachfan- Congradulations on the 1lb. loss.

Melf 07-28-2003 09:03 AM

Good Morning everyone! I'll bet you all thought I was was lost forever. Or maybe it's been so long you just don't remember me at all. Either case, I'm back! Sorry it's been so long.

I spoke with Deb before she left for vacation & she encouraged me to get back to the board, even if it's just to say hello. I've been struggling with my weight as I know the rest of you are. I'm discouraged cause I've just got out of the habit of good, responsible eating & have gained about 15 lbs.

I believe alot of it has come from all the trouble I was having at work. I have since quit my job & am now doing private duty work which is alot less stressful, but it is very confining, so Iam not as active. Where I was running up & down hallways before, I'm in a 10 x 12 room (at best) for 12 hrs a day, 3 days a week. Yes, I am off the other 4 days, but I have not been able to get back into a routine of exercising, especially with the heat . Alot of excuses, huh?

Well, I'm giving it another try. I know I can't just give up because that is defeat & certain failure & I'm not ready for that. :)

Beachfan, I heard you were back. Loved the MM thought you posted. I can really relate to your comment "seeing work as positive and something I love (which is how I use to feel)." That sounds alot like what I was going through with my job. I really hated to give up on it, but it got to whee I could no longer put up with all the stress & felt it would not get better, so I left.

Rosalie, great job on getting the board up & running! Have missed being here to be part of it all.

Rosalie 07-28-2003 09:41 AM

Good Morning All

I had a feeling that there was something missing when I started the board last night and I've just realized that I didn't post the challenges. So here they are.

THIS WEEKS CHALLENGES

The usual challenges of DRINKING YOUR WATER and drinking AT LEAST 64 OUNCES is ongoing, as is getting in 3 DAYS OF EXERCISE and posting it on the WEEKLY EXERCISE BOARD

THIS WEEKS NEW CHALLENGE:

Last week we were posting what we had for lunch. How about this week posting at least one day (or more if you wish) what you had for an legal SB dinner. :burger: :chicken: :chef:

Beachfan - Liked your MM to-day.

Toni - I too need to get back on track this week after messing up a couple of days last week. Here's to a new week and a new resolve.

Melf - Good to see you. Sorry to hear about all the stresses you have had at work and the weight gain but I'm sure if you get back op those extra pounds will come off. Also hope you can find the time and motivation to get some exercise, which we all know is so important. Hope you are enjoying your new job. I know private duty is so different than working on the floor. I tried it once and found it much too confining. Anyway I'm a lady of leisure now - temporarily at least - as I retired in February but will be taking a temporary job soon. I've got lots of activities going but I need something to keep the mind active too.

Gotta go. Have a few chores to do before I head out to the stores, then to badminton.

Have a good day everyone.

Marie.

GatorGal 07-28-2003 10:05 AM

Hi everyone,
Hope your week starts great!! Good MM today. I have just ordered a book called The Power To Change Your Life, by Rick Warren. I hope it will be one big MM. :)

I got my 3 miles in today. Actually, I walked a new route and my pedometer showed almost 4 miles, but I think my pedometer was off a little bit.

Beach--I really liked your MM. I have been struggling with a bad habit that occurs every Sunday evening. We get together with a small group of people from our church and we have a meal together and then a study time and then prayer. It is really nice to have people that know each other better than the usual "Hi, how are you?" on Sunday mornings at church service. However, for the meal, everyone brings something, so it is a little potluck supper. Two couples normally bring "tons" of food, usually gooey desserts and fried chicken or something similar. It's all the stuff that are on the top of my "love to eat list." So, most every Sunday I am faced with the temptation that I normally don't resist. Even when I fix something that is SB legal, I give in to that piece of strawberry-rhubarb pie, etc.
I even snack before we get together. So far, that has not helped.
So, any suggestions from anyone?? What do I substitute??
I am even thinking about dropping out of the group, or only attending every other Sunday. I don't want to say, "would you quit bringing yummy food, even though everyone else loves it. You must only bring SB legal food."

Well, I haven't had breakfast yet, so will talk to you all later.

cherylco 07-28-2003 10:07 AM

Melf
Welcome back! Deb is a good little shepard. She makes sure her little flock doesn't stray very far :)

I swear it's so unfair to be a girl. TOM is due any day and I'm up 5 freaking pounds!! I haven't changed my eating so I know it's not me. It just blows to be fatter one week out of the month because of gender.
On the good side DH is following SB very well. One week today and he said his pants were loser this morning. He also said he's feeling better. He had a terrible coke cola habit. He'd drink at least a six pack a day. Add a 6-pack of beer to the equation and yuck! He switched to diet coke and cranberry and vodka when he drinks so that's better. of course not drinking would be best. One bad habit at a time!

Zanne 07-28-2003 10:17 AM

Hello Gang!

As usual, I'm just popping in. I've been on and off my exercise and eating properly. Had company on the weekend and ate a bunch of stuff I shouldn't have and am paying for it today by feeling really bloated.

I have to get back to my exercise routine. It seems the most I have been able to do is about 4 times a week. Then I slack off on the weekend. DH was on nights for a few weeks and it kind of threw me off too. So now that I'm back to getting up before 6am, I should be able to do my workouts first thing in the morning. The exercise has been working ---last week DH told me my butt is looking good! :lol: :D :smug: Nice compliment to keep the motivation up.

I'm sure there are a couple of people like me who are "starting over" today. This isn't a Motivational piece, but since I'm here so erractically, I thought I'd share it now. Always good to be reminded of things.

Sugar Addicts Anonymous: The 12 Step Program to Beating Sugar Addiction

By James Keller
Watkins Enhancing Lives Since 1868.

Most of us don't realize it, but we are drug addicts. Our drug comes in a pure, white crystal or powder form. We use it even when we don't know we're doing it. It's in salad dressing, peanut butter, soup, pickles, bread, jam, yogurt, canned fruits and vegetables... We crave it after every meal. On an average, each of us consumes about 130 lbs. per year. What is this controversial drug, you ask. It goes by many names, but the most common is sugar.

This deliciously sweet substance is also deliciously devoid of any nutritional value. Sugar passes through the wall of the stomach so quickly that it causes blood sugar levels to skyrocket, then plummet just as rapidly. I'm sure you are familiar with the feeling.

The problem that arises in coping with sugar addiction is that sugar is in so many common foods now, it's practically impossible to cut it out completely. You can't eat a sandwich without getting sugar from the bread or the mayo. You can't eat a salad without getting sugar from the dressing.

Beating sugar addiction may seem like a hopeless battle, but just like any drug addiction, you have to have a structured plan to win the war. I make no claims that it will be an easy battle. You won't be vomiting in back alleys or shivering in bed all night, but you will have the uncontrollable desire for something, anything that will give you your sugar fix.

Here is your twelve step program to beating sugar addiction. It won't be easy, but it will be worth it:

1. Stick to foods that are closest to their original form. Instead of eating corn from a can, eat corn on the cob. Banish white bread and embrace wheat bread. Forget fruit juices; go for the actual fruit. The closer a food is to it's original form, then less processed sugar it will contain.

2. Eat protein with breakfast. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but do you know why? Breakfast is the meal that will make or break you for the rest of the day. Your first meal must create blood sugar stability that will carry you to the next meal without sugar cravings.

3.Eat protein with every meal. As soon as your blood sugar is thrown out of whack, you will be off the wagon again. Eating protein with each meal prepares your body for the increase of seratonin production and keeps your blood sugar stable throughout the day.

4. Read Labels! It's incredible how many things we put into our mouths without the slightest idea what is in them. The longer the list of ingredients, the more likely sugar is going to be included on that list.

5.Don't starve yourself in order to reward your restraint with a donut or a Twix. Not only is this bad for your body, but you won't lose weight. Your body will just go into starvation mode, storing all your calories as fat. So that slice of chocolate cake you eat after a seven hour fast is going straight to fat.

6. Keep a journal of what you eat. You will be surprised, and probably shocked, by the amount of sugar-filled snacks and extras involved in your diet. Write down everything, down to those five M&Ms or that tablespoon of teriyaki sauce.

7. Brown is beautiful: brown rice, wheat bread, brown cereals, etc... Brown foods give your body the positive effects of carbohydrates without unbalancing your blood sugar and creating cravings.

8. Be active and keep busy. Most of us snack the most when we are bored and inactive. Go for a walk. Go shopping. Organize your entire house. Anything to keep your hands busy and away from the cookie jar.

9. Eat a potato before bed. Before your head explodes from the thought of eating a starchy, carbohydrate-filled potato right before bed, consider this: when taken with the right vitamins, that spud will increase your production of seratonin, balancing your blood sugar levels. Besides, it's better than eating ice cream before bed.

10. Try a detox program. Detoxing isn't just for yoga yogis and Enya junkies anymore. There are dozens of detox programs designed for health enthusiasts of all levels. Some last two days, some last two months. But they all have one thing in common: after the initial overwhelming sugar cravings, your body adjusts and you won't even want the sugar anymore.

11. Drink water constantly. The more water you drink, the more your body will be fooled into thinking it is not hungry. Plus, you can rest assured that there is not a grain of sugar in water.

12. Don't get down on yourself if you slip and eat a desert every once in a while. It's okay to reward yourself, just don't start the addiction all over again. There are always healthier options for deserts. Eat berries with some low-calorie whipped topping. Snack on a couple of graham crackers. Maybe you would be healthier if you cut out sugar altogether forever, but people who do things in moderation get the best of both worlds. Enjoy your life, but don't overdo it.

I hope everyone is keeping well. Maybe once school starts back in September, I'll get on here more.

Have a good day all!

Melf 07-28-2003 10:28 AM

Toni, HI! We must have been posting at the same time earlier.

Rosalie, sounds like a retirement plan that I could live with. LOl Hope to make it that long & be able to enjoy retirement one day. DH has 4 hears left before he retires, so I'll be another 7 I guess. I do plan to take it & enjoy what life there is left! But until then I'll deal with it. :lol:

GatorGal! HI!! Girl, I know what you mean about the get to gethers & the eating frenzies. It's always so tempting to give in to all the goodies. I didn't for a long time. That's when I was doing well & loosing. This morning I'm 4 lbs heavier than yesterday morning because of lunch outing after church, then a fellowship after evening worship last night. Any everyone always brings something that I can't seem to resist!

cherylco, Thanks for the welcome back! Great to hear that your dh is doing Sb also! Mine eats anything I fix so it makes it alot easier on me. Now If I can just straighten up my act! ;)

Pancho 07-28-2003 11:10 AM

Good Monday morning all:

This is a very brief motivational Monday saying, but still important:

Tonight I will go to bed and celebrate the things I accomplised today instead of beating myself up over the things I did not get accomplished!

Last night for dinner, I had grilled chicken, green beans and salad. I bought a new dressing by Annie's Naturals; it is called Shitake & Sesame Viniagerette, and it is delicious. I usually eat Ranch, and it was a nice switch. Tonight I will be going to Fuddruckers with some friends, so will probably have a salad, or burger with all the fixens', no bun.

I will be heading out soon...have to take daughter to swim lessons, go by Wild Oats for a few things, take my youngest to the doctor for her well-check, and get back home and get ready to go out tonight.

Beach: Our computer is 4-5 years old as well, and is very slow; I'd love to get a new one. Enjoy yours. Thanks for the Motivational thoughts this morning.

Teensy: You deserved to have a little splurge; you've done so well! I know what you mean about getting that exercise in during the morning hours; it sets your entire day up to be a better day!

groovia: Welcome. I hope you find all the answers to your questions here.

Rosalie: Hope the meal was yummy! At least you know for next time. Thanks for getting us up and going again this week!

Melf: Welcome Back!

Zanne: Thanks for the information. It was very enlightening.

Have a great day, everyone!

Fillise 07-28-2003 11:16 AM

Hi! This will be just a short pop-in to let you know that (1) I'm still alive and (2) I'm still on the road.

I'm back in Wilmington now. Am leaving for Kinston this afternoon. Will be back tomorrow night and will head for Auburn on Thursday. I will have been gone for three weeks on Wednesday--and I'm ready to head home. I miss the board and everyone here and am looking forward to catching up with everyone!

While at Montreat I was a sugar-holic, but I guess all that walking up and down mountains balanced it out and I actually lost a couple of pounds! Go figure. Anyway, now that I'm down off the mountain I'm back to better nutritional habits.

Just wanted to say hey to everyone and let you know I will be back on the board soon!

Susan

groovia 07-28-2003 11:17 AM

some questions

Good morning! I just joined last night, so there is an intro msg from me on last week's thread.

I've been sugarbusting since Friday and the last 2 days I have felt horrible as soon as 5pm rolls around. Fine ALL day, and then BAM! evenings are awful.

I get very weak/lightheaded and a nasty headache. It gets so bad, I can't concentrate on anything. i can't even turn on the tv, because it just aggravates me more.

What I'm wondering: is this sugar withdrawal? Is it normal to have symptoms like this? Saturday, I just stayed miserable, but yesterday, I decided to eat a clementine (like a small orange) and it really seemed to help.

Any thoughts on this? is it going to last long?

Thanks,
Kelly

groovia 07-28-2003 11:49 AM

Apples & pears

I was researching glucagon and I found this in regard to body shapes:

http://www.totalhealthdynamics.com/bodyshap.htm

and since I'm already sharing my research, I also found something on the relationship between sugar and arthritis:

http://www.e-clipse.com/dsugararticle.htm

Please forgive me if this is already common knowledge stuff- it's just that SugarBusters seems to be a huge revelation since my entire family (generations and generations) is (and were) apple shaped, dies before age 60 of heart disease, is prone to arthritis, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc.

It's terribly exciting, you know, to think that eating low-sugar will combat all these health issues, since eating low-fat does nothing for us.

Kelly

GatorGal 07-28-2003 12:50 PM

Here is another picture of my butterflies--this one before it becomes a butterfly. This is the larval stage of a monarch butterfly. I have about 7 monarch caterpillars in my butterfly raising cage, and they are munching on the only food they like to eat: milkweed. It is amazing to see how fast these grow; these are barely a week old. It is also amazing to realize that those beautiful deep orange and black butterflies come from these white, yellow and black caterpillars.