3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Sugar Shakers (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sugar-shakers-62/)
-   -   Sugar Busters Support Board 7/28-8/3 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sugar-shakers/29842-sugar-busters-support-board-7-28-8-3-a.html)

groovia 07-30-2003 06:19 PM

Basmati rice

I remember seeing somewhere that both white and brown basmati rice are legal.

HOWEVER, per our beloved SB book (both original & new) says the GI of basmati rice is 60 (equivalent to the GI of white spaghetti) and that is considered a high GI.

I even looked at Rissa's website http://prettyimpressivestuff.com/sug.../sb_pantry.htm

and she has basmati on her list of legal stuff.

Any thoughts?

Kelly

Pancho 07-30-2003 07:40 PM

Good afternoon everyone:

I can't believe I am on here twice in one day. I actually have been pretty busy today, but this is always a good way to unwind.

groovia: Thanks. I have lost 26 pounds since March. I guess I lost it in about 4 1/2 months & have maintained the past few weeks. I think I am at goal. I originally set my goal at 130 because I wasn't sure if I'd ever get below that. I am 35 and have had two children now, and wasn't sure how low I could actually go. I haven't lost lately, so I may be where my body feels comfortable. I am 5'5" so this is a fine weight. I have to maintain and keep feeding my body healthy food. That was my post on the cereal and as far as I've always known, the Hi-Lo is fine, and I eat it sometimes for breakfast. I would say that those cookies you found are not legal since they have the enriched flour; enriched flour is not allowed on SB. I would keep them around thought and splurge every once in awhile. If you can have a few and not overdo it, it will probably not hurt you in the long run at all.

Rosalie: Congrats on the 2#; that's great! Thanks for the support. I'm not bothered by it anymore; I know that is how some people justify their behavior and I feel great for doing so well!

thunder: Wow! I also have two girls; my oldest is 5 and my youngest just turned 1. I gained 60 pounds with my oldest (I was on bedrest for two months, and did nothing but eat). I only gained 33# with my second, but I still had some extra weight from my first hanging on. I am 95% sure that we are done having kids, so I decided to get rid of that excess baggage now. I never really did too much in between knowing that I'd probably have another one eventually. Pretty lazy, eh?

bashful: Hang in there; sometimes it takes a while for the scale to reflect your true efforts. Some weeks you'll see nothing, and other weeks you'll see a whoosh. Muscle tone does weigh more than fat, so that is a possibility. I have also heard of some women gaining several pounds that TOM. I am pretty sure that Hi-Lo is a legal ceral on SB. I eat it from time to time, but prefer the Post shredded wheat better.

angehaley: Welcome. I don't know your height, but my weight was 152 back in February when my daughter was 7 months old, and that is when I decided to get serious (I am 5'5"). I did Atkins for 2 months (bad idea), and lost a few pounds but have been doing SB ever since and am now fluctuating between 125-127 pounds. I am feeling great and so happy I found this WOE & WOL. You will get there soon if you stick to the plan and feed your body the healthy food it deserves. It sounds as if your bread is probably o.k. as long as it has under 3 grams of sugar per serving, and is not enriched or bleached at all. You'd be surprised how many breads aren't legal because they seem to sneak all kinds of stuff into them. Good luck to you.

Monet: What a fun lazy day. Good for you!! I guess I'll have to wait to get these kids up a little older before I can spoil myself for a day like that. I can't even sleep beyond 6 a.m. these days; one of the girls always seems to be up early (even with the room darkening shades we bought). I hope your work schedule is getting lighter for you. Have a great rest of your day, and good luck staying OP tonight!

Well everyone....enjoy your evening, and I hope to check in tomorrow a.m. sometime.

Take care!

beachfan37 07-30-2003 09:27 PM

:dizzy: Hi All...I was so busy today that I felt dizzy from running around and trying to keep track of all the work.

I was exhausted when I came home, so we ordered chinese. There's a mom and pop restaurant near me that will fix my order SB. I had shrimp and brocolli with a light butter sauce (no sugar added) and then the inside of the egg roll :smug: Yes I was able to avoid the crust of the egg roll. Sometimes I can't :nono:
I'm lucky to have teens and hubby that like chinese, because we have it a lot.:o

BOB: Love the funny especially the why I fired my secretary.:lol:

Pancho: You've done so well on SB. I remember when the kids were small. Enjoy them because before you know it that will be off to college :(

Newbies: I have such a hard time answering some of your questions....I've been doing this so long and in a habit of buying what I know is legal that your questions on food I never looked into stump me. I know that Pancho is on target with the cereal. I also know that rye bread and rye is legal. RE: the question about the beans and barley...I've always counted nuts and beans as a protein. On the basmati rice. I've always considered it legal. Ok, I took a stab at answering your ? Anyone else know for sure?:?:

Rosalie: :cb: Way to go on the 2 lbs. I know this has been a long process for you. Looks like the weight is coming off much faster for you than before. Congrats.

Monet: Sleep for me. :D Way to go on cutting out the sugar.

Bashful: 1.5 is GREAT :bravo: Keep it up.

Thunder: You'll get right back on track and feel so much better.

Jecrites: I wear glasses and the last pair cost over $500. Luckily I have insurance that paid $300 but I was still left with $200 to pay...Oh well it's one of those things you have to have...gotta see! ;) Like you it hit my budget hard. We have 2 teens and are trying to save for college, have car insurance increases etc. The expenses never stop!

Gotta run hope I didn't miss anyone.

Have a great day tomorrow.

Anna

Ellen 07-30-2003 09:55 PM

Evening all! Wanted to report on the dinner at small group tonight. We stopped and got Mrs Winner's chicken for us and a couple others. I really wanted a biscuit, but Tom would not let me have one. I needed his strongarm tactics, but I made it through the dinner with just chicken, cole slaw, and green beans. :)

Thanks for the encouragement! Off to beddie bye! Gotta be at the store at 6am!

Rosalie 07-31-2003 12:16 AM

Hi

Bashful - Not everyone loses weight at the same rate. Some lose a lot at the beginning then it tapers off, others start off losing slowly. But 1-2 pounds per week is just fine. If you eat well and lose it slowly it is more likely to stay off. It is important to eat your veggies. Hope you can find some that you like. There a lots that are low carb/low gi and I personally find veggies much more filling than just having salads. And it might help you to cut down on your portion sizes of other foods. Regarding your oat question, I've not heard of 'whole oats' but oats are what oatmeal is made from. If you are going to be eating oatmeal you should use the regular one and not the instant or quick cooking one. The more refined they are the higher the gi. Steel cut oats are the best ones to have as they have the lowest gi.

Angehaley - Barley would be counted as a starchy carb but it is a good one to have as it's glycemic index is very low - only about 28. I would count pinto beans as a protein or vegetable sooner than a starchy carb. Most beans/legumes are good to have as they have quite a low gi. Whole Grain rye bread is o.k.

Monet - Hope you feel better after your relaxing day.

Groovia - Basmati rice is considered legal, both brown and white. I remember reading something on the SB website by one of the authors saying that white basmati was o.k. The Aussie GI Database gives a gi of 58 for white basmati. The list I have gives white spaghetti a gi of from 27-58. It all depends on how long it is cooked. Any pasta cooked 'al dente' has a lower gi than one that is well cooked. We have a FOOD INFORMATION BOARD that you might want to check out. It has articles on both RICE and PASTA plus other foods. To get there go to the top of the page and click on Sugar Busters then click on Food Information Boards.

Good night. Time to get some shut-eye.

Marie.

Teensybean 07-31-2003 12:54 AM

Good evening ladies-- Hope all of you had a great WIW. I forgot to weigh this morning as I had to get up early to go have my Mammogram. It is an hours drive into town. Wanted to get up at 5, but dh got home last night instead of today. So I was up later than I had planned to be. DIDN'T get my exercise in either!!

Oh ladies, it has been soooo hot here. Over 100 degrees the last couple of days. I hide in the house all day and avoid going out for anything. The poor little stray kitten that I am trying to get close to just lays under the truck sleeping. She finally let me pet her today, but still hisses at me when I go near her. But she comes a running when I shake the cat food bag!! I am hoping to be able to tame her enough to be able to get her into the vet. Would like to have her spayed, and keep her around. We get alot of moles, and mice (in the winter). She is not the prettiest kitten I have ever seen, but she is an "Itty Bitty" thing, and I would love to have her for our kitty.

Got the results back today on my blood tests, and echocardiogram. Every thing was okay, cholesterol was a little bit high, but I am working on that. It was alot lower than in 1997 though. So I am headed in the right direction. They said my heart was normal so that is a relief!

Won't get to replies, sorry for that. Hang in there ladies, and we will win this battle!!

beachfan37 07-31-2003 10:09 AM

Hi All...

Not starting my day off too well. Last night my 15 year old son had 2 friends spend the night. They are usually very good but something happened and my glass coffee table was broken in half. They woke me up at 1:30a.m. and we cleaned it up. Glad no one was hurt but I couldn't go back to sleep. Finally did about 4a.m. but when I woke up this morning I was bloated, up 2 pounds and had a bad headache. I've had to take 3 migraine pills already this week and really don't want to take another. Does anyone take imitrex like medicine? If so, do you ever take it a lot in one week. The package says don't take more than 2 in a 24 hour period but I worry about taking it multiple times in a week.

I'm at work feeling pretty bad. Will try to get somethings accomplished but my thinking is very poor right now.

Teensy: :D So glad you had a good report on the heart! Also, tht the cholesterol is better. You are right on track.

Rosalie: Glad my advice to the newbies was right. You are so knowledgeable about the foods and what is OP and what is not. Glad we can come to you with the questions when we get confused. :?:

Well have to run...wonder how much a new coffee table will cost? :eek: But maybe that is the bright side of the mishap...I get to go furniture shopping...should I push for matching end tables too :lol:

Anna
222/178 :mad: /140

Pancho 07-31-2003 10:58 AM

Good Thursday Morning:

FOR ALL THE NEWBIES: If you are interested, you can go to www.low-carb.com and you will find the Sugarbusters book on sale for $11.98 (regularly $23.95). They also have the SB Shopper's Guide for $3.59 (this was an absolute God-send for me when I started - it lists the acceptable and forbidden foods in it). They also have some of the SB legal pastas & pancakes if you are unable to find them elsewhere. To find the Shopper's guide and the pastas & pancake mix go to the SugarBusters Approved section. To find the SB book, go to the Clearance Items section.

My morning has been alright so far. It is just that time of month and I feel bloaty and gross.

I did get to Old Navy and they were having a pretty good sale going on. I bought two pair of shorts & 2 belts. It's tough to shop for too long with two little ones. My 5-year old daughter thinks that shopping for clothes is BOOOORRRRIIIINNNGG! I'm sure that will change as she gets a little older. But I was able to get one size 4 short & one size 6. I thought when I bought those size 4's at Lerner New York, they just ran big, but I was thrilled to find another 4 to fit me. When I started this venture 4-5 months ago, my husband said that I wouldn't get back into a size 5/6 after having 2 kids and being 35 years old with a slower metabolism. Well, I am throwing these size 4's in his face whenever I can :lol:

beach: I do enjoy the heck outta my girls. My husband and I often talk about how fast they grow up, and "outgrow" us so to speak. Right now, they live to be with Mommy & Daddy, and we spend every minute we can with them; that is the reason I quit working when I had my first daughter. I was crying the other night thinking about when my daughter starts 1st grade; the school will actually have her more hours out of the day then I will. It's very sad to think about!:( How nice to have a Chinese Restaurant that will cater to your needs. I wouldn't even know how to order from a Chinese Restaurant. Sorry to hear about your table - THANK GOD no-one got hurt. We got rid of our coffee table and side tables when we had kids, and thought we'd replace them when they got a little older; maybe we'll wait until they are grown ;) I hope you feel better soon. I've never had migraines (Thank God), so I can't answer the question about the meds.

Teensy: So glad to hear all your tests came back good.:cb: Now you can concentrate on your good health, and just get that cholesterol to the best place you can. My mom has high cholesterol; it runs in the family. It doesn't seem to change too much regardless of her diet. She just does her best....that's all anyone can do.

Well everyone, have a great day. We are going to a friend's house for lunch. She is a yo-yo dieter and asked me to go through all the things in her pantry and tell her what is good and not good. I told her that until she is ready to make a committment it will really do no good for me to take the time to do that. She will do a diet without researching it. She did Atkins for a few months without buying the book or researching it (lost 16 pounds), quit cold turkey and gained her weight back again. She does Weight Watchers a lot too, but can't decide what she wants to do. I hope she will do SB and stick to it; she needs to lose about 60-70 pounds. I am going to let her know that this book is on sale, and see if she will buy it.

I'll check in later!

THE BIG ORANGE BABE 07-31-2003 11:46 AM

GONNA BE A BEAR

IN THIS LIFE I'M A WOMAN. IN MY NEXT LIFE, I'D LIKE TO COME BACK AS A BEAR. WHEN YOU'RE A BEAR, YOU GET TO HIBERNATE. YOU DO NOTHING BUT SLEEP FOR SIX MONTHS. I COULD DEAL WITH THAT.

BEFORE YOU HIBERNATE, YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO EAT YOURSELF STUPID.
I COULD DEAL WITH THAT TOO.

WHEN YOU'RE A GIRL BEAR, YOU BIRTH YOUR CHILDREN (WHO ARE THE SIZE OF WALNUTS) WHILE YOU'RE SLEEPING AND WAKE TO PARTIALLY GROWN, CUTE CUDDLY CUBS. I COULD DEFINATELY DEAL WITH THAT.

IF YOU'RE A MAMA BEAR, EVERYONE KNOWS YOU MEAN BUSINESS. YOUSWAT ANYONE WHO BOTHERS YOUR CUBS. IF YOUR CUBS GET OUT OF LINE, YOU SWAT THEM TOO. I COULD DEAL WITH THAT.

IF YOU'RE A BEAR, YOUR MATE EXPECTS YOU TO WAKE UP GROWLING. HE EXPECTS THAT YOU WILL HAVE HAIRY LEGS AND EXCESS BODY FAT.

YUP, GONNA BE A BEAR!

jecrites 07-31-2003 11:59 AM

Hi everyone. Just some replies. Nothing else is going on around here. Things are pretty slow right now, thank goodness. Just waiting for school to start back. Got about a month to wait.

Pancho, Oh I hope Katie doesn't need them too. It's already expensive with Kerri having to have them. Hubby wears glasses, his eyes are pretty bad, but thankfully the military covers his.

BOB, Yeah it feels good to be at home, but I wish home was somewheres else. That sounds so bad, but I don't like this area. It was really nice to see my friend/old neighbor again though. I wish I would have had more time to visit with her.

Beachfan, Holy cow!!! That's really expensive. Makes me feel bad for complaining about $160. It just shocked me when the total came up to that much when her last pair, (from a different doc. and in a different area) was less than half of that. I wonder why they charge so much; cause they can?

Well that's it for me right now. I'll talk to y'all later.

Jenn

Rosalie 07-31-2003 01:07 PM

Hi Everyone

Well I'm having a fairly lazy day at home to-day. Got a few chores done this morning that have been on my mind for a while. I can waste more energy thinking about doing certain chores than it actually takes to do them. ;). I've just finished lunch and have to decide whether to stay home and read or watch a movie on my new DVD or go see if I can find some blueberries to make the jam I promised my daughter. What big decisions. :dizzy:

Teensyean- Glad your bloodtests and echocardiogram test came back o.k. That must be a relief for you.

Beachfan - Sorry to hear about your broken table but I'm sure it will be fun going furniture shopping. And why not have a matching end table :smug:. Glad the kids weren't hurt, at least the table can be replaced. Thanks for the compliments. I do read anything I find on the gi and like to keep up on current information. I'm afraid I don't have any personal experience with Imitrex - but I do have a nursing drug book and it says the maximum dose is 300 mgms daily but apart from that doesn't say anything about frequency.

Pancho - Hope you can encourage your friend to do SB. Maybe you could get her to check out RISSA's site (or print it out for her) as it has some good information. This would give her an idea of what to expect on this woe. It might encourage her to get the book and read more about the theory behind this woe.

Have a good day everyone.

Marie.

angehaley 07-31-2003 01:07 PM

help!!

Can someone please tell me how to add a pic to go with my name..... I am just learning my way around this site!!!! :)
thanks in advance.....
a.:?:

Rosalie 07-31-2003 01:13 PM

Angehaley - Go to the top of the page and click on USER CP then click on EDIT OPTIONS. If you go to the bottom of that page it will ask you if you wish to add an AVATAR. Click on yes and you can choose an avatar or add one of your own.

Marie.

cherylco 07-31-2003 02:11 PM

Pancho
Yup people who don't eat right love to pick apart people who do.
Like heartmom I've lost an old old friend who can't be happy for me because I've lost and she's gained. I tried to help her but she just won't stay with the plan. Every day she has a special reason to eat crap. She's trying again. I hope it works.

groovia
If you can go off plan for a few foods then jump back on I would do it. I feel that the more you deny yourself the less likely you are to stay on an eating plan. That's how I am at least. Some folks get off a little then go crazy!

Hey my DH lost 6 pounds in a week! I'm glad he's doing well so he'll stick with it!

thunderwoman62 07-31-2003 02:27 PM

Hello

One day at a time is my motto!!!! But do it legal

Hi everyone,

This is my 2nd day back to the basics and already I am dropping lbs...2 as of this morning YAHOOOOOO. I already feel much much better. Thanks all for the welcome back.

I tryed the ranch chicken recipe yesterday...FABULOUS!!!!!! thanks nomoresugar its great.

Bob-yes Ashley is growing like a weed...lol:lol: I have a hard time keeping up with her now...hehe shes fast freddy:D. I am so glad to be back on on woe. Thanks for the wagon pick-up...lol:cloud9:

Rosalie-Glad to see your still hanging in there hun.:bravo: and thanks for the welcome back. I am going to stay this time because I am doing it for myself.

To everyone else I missed thank you all for the welcome back..I don't know why I ever left this WOE. I allready feel so much better. Hugs to all!:grouphug:

Thunderwoman62(Sonya):balloons: