Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Old 08-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #1  
Keep on Swimming!

S/C/G: 293/See Ticker/Healthy

Height: 5'6"

Default I'm very scared...

I was told by my Doctor that I am borderline Diabetic and I was put on Metformin to control it. Now the next part is up to me and I am sacred to death. I am nervous and my heart is pounding with the thought of giving up all the comforts that my sugary sweets have given me through out the years. But then I think, look at what it has done to my body. I really do now believe that it is like crack. I just pray that I can make it through the next 30 days without breaking down and taking out a doughnut shop!
Nursie2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

You Can Do This!!
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:56 PM   #3  
Keep on Swimming!

Thank you for the confidence. I need all I can get!
Old 08-20-2009, 09:18 PM   #4  
Getting back to it!

S/C/G: 323/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

Hi Nursie2b,

I was told by my dr in january that I was pre-diabetic too. I have to say I wasn't shocked between my weight, lack of exercise, and family history of diabetes. I just never thought of it being so real before. The thought of actually being diabetic scared me and I immediately started my new way of life. Since then I have lost 52lbs, and hope to be down another 50 by January. It took me until April to actually get my carb/protein/fat ratio and caloric intake just right for optimum fat loss...so I figure from here til Jan I should be able to get another 50 off.

I wish you the best of luck on beginning your journey to a healthier new you. You can do it! And it's great to start now before you have to deal with any health problems down the road.
motivatedbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:24 PM   #5  
Keep on Swimming!

Thank you Motivatedbride. It's a scary thing to have told to you. In my family we have a history of Diabetes, Heart Disease, Cancer...My Mom had breast cancer, my father has heart disease and High Blood Pressure. The odds are against me and out of 4 children my parents had, Im the only one who is overweight. My sister was overweight for a few years but she got it under control. I want to know what control feels like. Now with all the health problems that are in my DNA, I REALLY need to pay attention and stop thinking that I will worry about it later...There is no "later".
Old 08-20-2009, 09:35 PM   #6  
Getting back to it!

You're welcome! I am in the same situation as you are. Both of my sisters have always been thin and athlethic, parents overweight, and myself overweight my entire life! with the exception of 7 years ago i lost 100 lbs and was down to 155 and a size 8/10. Then 4 years ago, I slowly started gaining it back, then the past year rapidly gained a whole lot of wait. My mom is diabetic along with hmmm 3 aunts, 2 uncles, and my late grandfather. My dad has had 2 heart attacks, high cholestorol and blood pressure and same goes for his brother and his late father. So like you, I have the odds stacked against me.

This just makes it even more important to start sooner than later. like you said there is no later. The last thing I wanted to do is sacrifice how much of my health just because I wanted to eat like garbage for the weekend before "starting on monday". I really hope you can find the strength and motivation to just get started and stay determined to keep going
Old 08-20-2009, 10:11 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by motivatedbride View Post
Hi Nursie2b,
It took me until April to actually get my carb/protein/fat ratio and caloric intake just right for optimum fat loss.
Hi! I wondered what you found to be the optimum ratio for you? Thanks!
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:27 AM   #8  
Keep on Swimming!

Motivated: My father has all the same health problems that your does. and Im so glad Im not the only one who has stated "This starts Monday". What is it with Monday? lol
Old 08-21-2009, 11:59 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

If all you do is "give up" things, it is indeed daunting. But I find it helps a lot to think more in terms of discovering new pleasures. I absolutely adore the wholefoods, and Mediterranean and Asian style food I've discovered. It's a real pleasure. I don't think I could do this if I were trying to continue eating crap but "less of it." Also, when you limit sugar, your sweet tooth gets more sensitive, and I find I crave nonsweet foods a lot of the time, and that's just a wonder to me now. So, you won't necessarily always be "battling" your sweet tooth. Of course, I don't know how you're eating now.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:17 PM   #10  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

We do have a Diabetes Section in this Forum. Come and check us out. There are lots of folks with the same problem and lots of good info in the stickies in there.

Diabetes is NOT a death sentence and can be managed well.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:24 PM   #11  
Getting back to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJZee View Post
Hi! I wondered what you found to be the optimum ratio for you? Thanks!
Hi CJZee,

I have been going to see a Bariatric non-surgical weightloss Dr. and she put me on a low calorie eating plan in January that gave me guidelines as to what to eat 6 times a day. For example breakfast is 1 fruit, 1 grain and 1 dairy...and you have an exchange list of 1 fruit equals 1 cup of watermelon, 1 grain would be a slice of wheat toast, and dairy would be a cup of skim milk. throughout the day you have more protein and less carbs. you still can eat carbs but you just eat more of them in the morning and more protein as the day goes on. once you get on the right ratio you can start switching it up with different foods. So now i have about 1,200cals 85gcarbs, 110g protein, and 15-20g fat a day and I am not hungry our craving anything anymore other than watermelon!! I know it sounds complicated and restrictive..but it really is the best thing that has worked for me. And I have tried everything including low carb, which made me lose weight only to put me 60 lbs heavier than my heaviest weight ever. I would suggest seeing if you can find a Bariatrician. Mine is covered by my medical insurance so I only pay a small co-pay with each visit.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:28 PM   #12  
Getting back to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursie2b View Post
Motivated: My father has all the same health problems that your does. and Im so glad Im not the only one who has stated "This starts Monday". What is it with Monday? lol
Nusie2b: I know! It's either Monday...or the 1st of the month. And usually the day comes around and it goes good for a few days and then its ehhh I will restart again on Monday. Crazy!
Old 08-21-2009, 10:32 PM   #13  
Keep on Swimming!

JulieJ: Im eating like crap. High calorie, high sugar, high carb, you know, the tasty stuff. But I can't go on like this anymore. The stuff I think is tasty now is killing me. I am very excited to try new foods and find something tastier and healthier than I am consuming (or was) now.

Motivated: It is crazy! I don't know why we do this to ourselves.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:03 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursie2b View Post
JulieJ: Im eating like crap. High calorie, high sugar, high carb, you know, the tasty stuff.
I think that's actually a great sign. Because you really can change your taste, and it's not even that hard. You have to apply some willpower initially, but then it's such a revelation to realize how much your taste changes. After a while you're amazed at what you used to think was tasty.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:04 AM   #15  
Getting back to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
I think that's actually a great sign. Because you really can change your taste, and it's not even that hard. You have to apply some willpower initially, but then it's such a revelation to realize how much your taste changes. After a while you're amazed at what you used to think was tasty.
JulieJ08: you are absolutely right! I noticed that I think things that I used to love, candy, soda, cake, etc... are just too sweet now. i now crave sweet things like mango and watermelon, and i even crave sugar snap peas!! lol but i agree with at first its more willpower to not drink the sodas, eat the candy or cake, but it does evolve into more of a change of taste. i figured as a treat every so often i would allow myself to have one of those miniature (i mean an inch long) twix bars, since i always LOVED twix...i started chewing it and actually spit it out because it did not taste the same. it was overwhelming. who spits out a twix?!?! haha but it's true!