Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Old 09-10-2007, 11:54 PM   #1  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

Question Am I on the Sugarbusters path?

Hi there!
I know that there is a book on the SugarBusters diet. I am notoriously BAD with following prescribed diets (i.e. eat 2 g of protein for every 0.5 carb, only eat x, y, z for lunch, etc.).
BUT, I HAVE made a serious committment to eliminate as much sugar from my diet as possible, and when I mean "sugar", I mean processed refined foods such as white rice and white pasta and white flour (replacing them with whole grains, of course), AND pre-packaged ANYTHING, AND checking labels for added sugars such as fructose, corn-syrup (which is the Devil as far as I am concerned), AND added sugars (i.e. juice which is more like a punch), AND fake sugars (I seem to crave sweets, so this is the easiest choice for me). I include fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, milk, legumes and proteins in my diet. I limit the starchy veg and fruit (think corn and bananas and peas) -- I essentially treat them as a bread product, which I control fastidiously to avoid my carb binges.
Am I on the SugarBusters path? Is this forum appropriate for me? Or, do I need to buy the book and follow a strict outlined plan?
Thanks
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:03 AM   #2  
Addicted to potato salad!

It sounds like you have it down to me, Freia! Come join us on our Weekly Support Board. A lot of new-to-sugarbustin people post their daily menus and we check it over and let them know how they're doing. Pretty much, one protien with two fruits and/or veggies (or more, as in salad) with grains as an added bonus here or there, keeping them to a minimum.

I hope you join our Sugar Busters group!! It's Weekly Support Board. Monet will probably post a link soon.

Last edited by techwife; 09-11-2007 at 06:03 AM.
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:09 PM   #3  

Hi there! As Tech said, it sounds like you are doing Sugarbusters pretty much! The great thing about the plan is that it is NOT strictly laid out. A lot of it is common sense. The only rules are these:
Do NOT eat corn, white flour, white rice, white sugar, white potatoes, bananas, pineapple or watermelon. These are all high glycemic, and the diet is based on the glycemic index of foods.

DO eat whole grains, 100% whole wheat bread, sweet potatoes, brown rice, and lots of fruits and vegetables.

Check labels and limit the sugar grams per serving to 3 or less.

Try to limit starchy carbs like bread, sweet potatoes, brown rice, etc. to three or less servings per day for weight loss.

It is really rather simple. And it works!

Please come join us on the monthly support thread. That is where most of the folks check in, so any questions you have will be more readily answered on it. Here is the linK:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121829

It is in this same area, so it should be easy to find! Oh and congrats on your weight loss! You are doing great!

Hope to see you there, and I look forward to getting to know you!

Last edited by Ellen; 09-11-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:25 AM   #4  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

Hi! I'll check out the forum. Thanks!
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote