Success Stories! Share your success stories! Let's work together to make this the busiest forum of all!

Old 04-10-2006, 02:16 AM   #1  
I will not fail!

S/C/G: 282/272/180

Height: 5' 10"

Red face Clean out the closet

After weeks of not wanting to get rid of my clothes my husband finally talked me into it. Ive gone down 3 sizes, and Ive just not wanted to get rid of my clothes in fear I would gain the weight back and need them again. Well I bagged them up and off they are going. It's kinda sad because half of the clothes where only worn 2-3 times. Nice clothes too. It's bittersweet! Lol. Now it's my anniversary this Wed and my husband said he's taking me SHOPPING. I cant wait. But the only problem is. I dont know if anyone else has this problem or not, but I dont like to buy too much and I hate paying too much money because Im afraid if I lose even more weight then I'll just have to buy more. It's tough but I also dont want to keep wearing my clothes that are falling off of me and make me feel like a bum.

Anyway what Im trying to say I guess is it's good to finally get rid of all my size 22 clothes. Whoo hoo.
Jtjoray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:14 AM   #2  

I know how you feel! I just sold a whole bag of stuff to the used clothing store (I made eleven bucks!). There's some stuff I miss but I don't miss being big enough to wear it so I'm not complaining too much. Sometimes I just wish that my clothes would shrink along with my body so I wouldn't have to keep buying new stuff.
Flying Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:34 AM   #3  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

Congrats on your progress. Have you considered buying a few things new and searching the thrift shops/goodwill for some of your intermediate sizes? I dont feel to bad if I dont spend NEW prices and only wear them a few times. I've got quite a few goodwill stores fairly close that I can usually find great things at. Just a suggestion.
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:53 AM   #4  

Yes, see if you can find a local consignment shop for those barely worn clothes. You'll make a little dough for shopping for new ones and might even find some things in a smaller size that you want.

When I have lost weight before, a girl at work and I traded out some clothes. We both had some things that were barely worn and she had gained weight. That worked well. I have also given my big clothes to my MIL as she will seldom buy anything new for herself but she loves going through my cast-offs.

You might want to buy just a few things that will coordinate with other things during your weight journey. It's always nice to get a new outfit in a smaller size, then when it gets too big, off to the consignment shop again!
poohshunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:01 AM   #5  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

Getting rid of those big clothes is the best thing you could do. #1 if you do start putting weight back on you will have no choice but to lose it because you WONT want to get bigger sizes. Trust me...it helps. I think the only time I put more weight on is when I had clothes to support the gain. This past time since I put a few pounds on I didnt have smaller clothes. I said OH WELL.. I'll lose weight or I will have tight uncomfy pants. lol The thin me.. is much stronger than the fat me.
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:34 AM   #6  
~sexy chicka~

S/C/G: 265/185/165 5'5"

Have you ever had a women's night clothing swap?

You invite a group (recommended 8 or more) women to your house and ask them to bring all the clothes they have that either don't fit or they realized they don't like - and you do the same.

Then, everyone tries on everyone else's clothes - and you get to have fun, give advice and critique ensembles - plus enjoy good healthy snacks and plenty of girl-talk.

We also swap books, jewelry and other items.

It saves hauling quite so much to the consignment shops - although you will probably need to take some leftovers down there.

Just a fun suggestion.
Cardiomonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:16 PM   #7  
Is on an Infinite Cut

I dont have 8 women I know I just moved to GA and I know NO ONE!!!!!!!! I need a life.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:52 PM   #8  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Good for you! I really need to get moving on cleaning out my closets for a big Goodwill donation drop. There are so many things in my closet that are too big to wear now, I wish some of the clothes could just shrink along with me. I hate getting rid of things I've worn for a long time, I'm such a packrat
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:58 PM   #9  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

I lived in thrift store clothes for 4 years while I was losing weight. I didn't like spending too much on stuff that I would only be in for a few months. Now I have to be reminded to be more picky about my clothing choices and make sure I'm buying stuff that fits well and that I really like since It's going to be around for a while.
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:03 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

First of all, congrats on going down three sizes!! You totally deserve to go out and get some new clothes!! I can totally relate to not wanting to buy too much because you'll have to get more when you go down more sizes. Everyone had great suggestions so far...one thing that I do is wait for good sales to get a couple of new things (Kohl's is great for this if you have one near you...they're constantly having all kinds of sales). Also, I shop at places like TJ Maxx and Marshall's. I've also had good luck finding things at consignment shops...a couple of times I found some jeans that literally still had the tags on them. Good luck, and have fun shopping!!
lovemygordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:17 PM   #11  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemygordie
I've also had good luck finding things at consignment shops...a couple of times I found some jeans that literally still had the tags on them. Good luck, and have fun shopping!!
Isn't that the best?? I found a beautiful linen skirt at a thrift store for $5 that still had the price tag and extra buttons attached. That's the other great thing about thrift storing, the thrill of finding the buried treasures.
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:29 PM   #12  
Is on an Infinite Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by shananigans
Good for you! I really need to get moving on cleaning out my closets for a big Goodwill donation drop. There are so many things in my closet that are too big to wear now, I wish some of the clothes could just shrink along with me. I hate getting rid of things I've worn for a long time, I'm such a packrat

Can I get a heard on the wishing your clothes could shrink with you?! I have some cute stuff right now, and when I lose the weight I want to lose they wont fit. arrgg.. like Jtjoray said.. its bittersweet
Old 04-11-2006, 07:49 AM   #13  

Height: 5'8.5"

That's great that you are losing and need to get rid of your clothes! Yippeee! I like thrift stores too but it is really hard to find nice plus size clothing in them.

One thing though... your husband is planning this shopping trip as a special gift for you on your anniversary... I say enjoy it and don't take away his joy in doing it!! That's worth the price of a few clothes LOL
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:40 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 221.2/186.4/170

Height: 5'7"

Congrats on needing new sizes and having a husband who will take you out shopping! Enjoy your evening.
Also for the clothes that no longer fit you can always sell them as a lot on ebay. Make a little extra money for smaller clothes that way.
Ciarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:25 PM   #15  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Last summer when I went from a size 20 to a size 12, I had a yard sale and sold pretty much all my clothes. I used the money from this to buy me some new clothes. I have also traded clothes with my neighbor who has been gaining weight. I can't wear her things now either. I never felt bad getting rid of my fat clothes because they weren't that great anyway, because I didn't shop well for myself when I was a lot over-weight. Felt like, why bother, it will look like crap anyway. Now that I am in a much smaller size, I love to shop and buy the best, I deserve it. I have also given a lot of clothes to my aunt that is plus-sized and she appreciated them.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote