Success Stories! Share your success stories! Let's work together to make this the busiest forum of all!

Old 04-05-2006, 11:31 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Meg, I haven't lost 100 pounds -- YET, but I started at exactly your weight and have lost 75 pounds since July. My story sounds like so many of these other stories, so I won't bore you with that.

But I did notice this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovermeg
See, I blow it at night, every night! I've already had the other 1/2 pint tonight. I'm sure soon I'll head for some chips.
boy, does that sound like a self-fulfilling prophecy ready to happen!!
Want to make it NOT happen? Throw away the chips!!!!! Stock the kitchen with healthy food. Prove to yourself one night that you can do it. Then you can delete that "every" from your statement and work on making lifelong changes!

Before I started this journey, I bemoaned to my husband "Why bother starting, I'll only gain all the weight back!" And he said "Well, with that attitude you sure will!" I was pissed at him for saying it at the time, but realized he was right. If you believe you will fail, YOU WILL.

Believe that you can do this, Meg. You may have doubts along the way, but you have to be able to pick yourself up and try again.

BTW, can we sticky this thread? It's very inspirational!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:38 PM   #17  
Going goal.

S/C/G: 316/ticker/140

Height: 5'6" & 3/4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllenn
BTW, can we sticky this thread? It's very inspirational!
I agree! This thread is full of very inspirational posts.
pixiefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:52 PM   #18  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

Me too! I've lost a little over 125 lbs over the last 4 years with no surgery & no fad diets. It's completely doable.

If you're feeling overwhelmed it can be really helpful to make changes one at a time and only add more as you really get your good habits established.

Of course some people do better by just jumping in the deep end and changing everything at once. Success at weight loss is a lot of trial and error to see what works for you.

I can't recommend enough though to add in exercise early. It makes everything so much easier.
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:04 AM   #19  

Hi Meg. I haven't lost one hundred pounds yet either. But I'm on my way! I'm another calorie watcher and exerciser. Exercise at home is great, but if your still finding your way, it can be useful to use a gym. Can you go to the Curves centre and see if others might have the same childcare problem? Perhaps you could watch someone's kids whilst they go to Curves and then they do the same for you? Just a thought.

Weight loss, and whether you succeed or fail, has a lot to do with how you think. I found I needed to spend a lot of time addressing the reasons why I ate the wrong things, when I knew better. I grew up in a very healthy household, but tended to sneak eat bad stuff, a habit I kept into adulthood.

It's so important to plan. Perhaps if late night eating is your problem, eat half your evening meal at meal times, then eat the rest a little bit later. We eat late because of our schedules, and I find that helps, because I am not reaching for cheese and crackers at 9.30pm (who me?)

When I first started out I completely thought I wouldn't stick with it. It was only because I was struggling with exercise that I found 3 Fat Chicks. And met people who had lost 100 and 200 pounds. I learnt I had to stop feeling pitiful and sorry for myself, and just get on with it. I am suprised at just how much fun I have had on the way, and how supportive friends and colleagues have been. It's so worth every effort you make!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:30 AM   #20  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

very inspirational thread.....weight loss can definitly be acheaved with hard work and determination
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:16 PM   #21  
rethinking myself...

S/C/G: 276/256/175

Height: 5' 11"

Meg,

YOU ARE NOT ALONE! I'm right there with you (and so are so many other people who visit this site). I have been obese for so long, I can't remember ever not being overweight. The last time I wore anything misses sized was when I was in middle school! I tried to exercise at some point a year or two ago and quickly gave up. This time I'm trying to stick with it, and watch my portions too.

I'm 26. Like you, I've just gotten sick and tired of towing all of this weight around (the flabby arms, the huge butt, the thunder thighs, and all of that). I also had some health concerns that helped boost my motivation this time.

All I can say is make whatever changes you can. You will feel better, you will look better, and the changes you see and feel can boost your motivation!

150 oz of water? I would drown! I have a hard time with 64 oz. Water is a wonderfully satisfying thing sometimes. I think about 1/2 the time I used to think I was hungry, I was actually thirsty. If you don't already drink 150 oz, I'd say just start by replacing anything you drink that's not water by water and gradually increase until you get to a point where you feel well hydrated. I have a huge weakness for soda. I'm trying to wean myself off of it and replace it with water.

Wyllen is right about the ice cream. Don't be too hard on yourself. Tomorrow is another day, start again and do it right. If eating at night is your problem, can you tell if it is only a habit and not really a craving? If it's just a habit, you might be able to kick it by replacing ice cream with something healthier and eventually not eat late at all. If you really crave ice cream, maybe you can limit your portions or start to have it every other day and then less and less.

To the rest of you: thank you so much for posting your inspirational stories! I keep checking back here to see if anyone new has posted about their success or success in progress.
kittymuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:17 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 288/235/190

Height: 5'6"

I have lost more than 100 pounds without surgery or diet pills. I, too, have been overweight most of my life (I’m 32 now) and had NO self-esteem. Even though I still have a long way to go, I have more self-esteem then I’ve had in the past 10 years.

For me, the key is changing your eating habits. I do not count calories. I learned what a true serving size is and try to stick with it. I starting eating more vegetables (which I HATE!) My mother always told me, “Eat to live, don’t live to eat” and I try to follow that everyday. Also, something really important for me is that when I eat something I probably shouldn’t have (like a pint of ice cream), I would berate myself and stop the diet. This time, I have learned to move past it and continue.
tlynn1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:01 PM   #23  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

Well, as you can see from my tracker, I've lost over 190lbs so far and I would still like to lose a little more, but seemed to hit a plateau about a month ago. I am currently working on maintaining and seem to be doing well.

The first thing I did, when I started just over two years ago, was not bring ANY more junk food into the house. I allowed myself to have treats outside of home, such as at work if there was a morning tea or when I went shopping, but I could not have them in the house. I still had healthy treats at home, such as dried fruit and nuts and my dietitian friend got me to add marshmallows and licorice to that if I needed something, but I didn't let myself have that most of the time.

I needed to take this step because, like you, I couldn't resist the temptation of having them around. Hubby was totally supportive of this and didn't mind not having these things in the house. He ended up losing too much weight after a while and had to start eating a little more of other things. Wouldn't it be nice to have that problem?

I have written a Word document about where I have come from and what I have done and there is a link to it on my pic page, which is underneath my tracker. If you are interested, you can read a lot more there and I will be happy to answer any questions you may have. I think it would take up too much space for me to post it here. It is still a work in progress as it was written a while ago and I haven't been able to get back to it to add updates. I have holidays coming up and will try to do it then.

Basically, I agree with the other posters though and I have totally changed my lifestyle with healthy eating - note 'healthy', not less... I am actually eating more now than I did before, but it is VERY 'clean' eating - and lots more exercise. I started slowly and now am fitter, healthier and lighter than I have ever been in my adult life. I haven't counted calories or measured food, just changed what I eat.

Good luck with your own journey.

Take care,

Zelma
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 01:22 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 562.3/404/195

Height: 6'3"

Smile

Congratulations on taking the first steps for a new healthy lifestyle. Like so many others have already posted - you can do it. I have a link to my journey to fitness so far - (I am still a work in progress ) in my signature.

It absolutely can be done and you can do it! I have been morbidly obese for the last 25 years. I was overweight as a child. I can't change the past, I can't predict the future - but I can sure have an impact on my today.

I just made a post about coaching my daughter's soccer team - you can do it.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81232

I wish you the very best.
Charles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 02:08 PM   #25  
Someday soon"ThinAtLast"

S/C/G: 270/153/122

I've lost over 100lbs. The big one was to lose the first 71 lbs and get below 200. I did it in near 6 months--then I rebounded for about 2 months.
My next goal is to get below the 150"s because I remember 149. I hope my head doesn't do what it has done to me in the pass. Anyway I've got your support and I feel the renewal coming
cybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 04:45 PM   #26  

Hi, and welcome. I've lost 120 pounds , most of it gone in one year. I started by keeping track of my calories/portion sizes on Fitday.com as someone has mentioned above. Depending on my current weight, I adjust the calories up or down to account for "lapses' in my usually good eating habits. I started at 1400cals/day and followed some simple rules, most of which are outlined in the posts above. I'll repeat my favorite: No eating after dinner. That's the simplest one to change if you're feeling particularly likely to binge. Exercise is critical, I do 5-6 days per week for at least on hour of cardio/weights combined.

Good luck and best wishes. You'll find lots of support here.
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 05:10 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 260/258/160

Smile 100 lbs or more

Hi Meg,
I'm new to this site. (First post today...this is it!) I too need to loose over 100lbs and have also considered surgery. I too am scared of dying on the table or worse yet spending the rest of my life throwing up!
I started to read the other Meg's accomplishments and saw she was drinking LC met....what is that? Am I right that you are eating raw eggs? I thought that was unhealthy...share your wisdom. I want to look like you do.
Thanks, Jackjoyce
P.S. I started out talking to one Meg and ended with questions for the other. I hope I haven't confused everyone!
jacksjoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 05:29 PM   #28  
Meg

Hi Jackjoyce and to 3FC! Too many Megs, eh?

I think you're asking about what I eat in my Fitday journal - right? The LC Ultramet is Low-carb Ultramet by Champion Nutrition. It's a low-carb protein shake mix that comes in a packet. It's what I have for breakfast every day (w/ water and ice and cinnamon in the blender ). As for the egg, I'm not eating it raw - I mix it in with the Eggbeaters and cook it all like an omelet. Unfortunately, Fitday only lets you enter individual ingredients, so sometimes you have no idea what people are actually eating!

3FC is a wonderful place for support and encouragement, no matter how you choose to lose the weight. Poke around and ask questions - you'll find lots of help and friendly folks!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 01:28 AM   #29  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

What a nifty thread!
I lost my 100 pounds in a year (a couple years ago) with calorie counting and walking. I added weights and ellyptical much later...it has helped immensely with toning. Still working on the last few pounds -

My trick for my ice cream addiction - (been there and done that with the B&J pints ) I control the portions by putting them in a small cone. (20 calories for the cone) I also buy Show Churn ice cream (they should put me on a commission - or maybe I should buy stock )....I can't taste the missing fat...it comes out to 150 cals for the whole cone. Quite satisfying and way better than 500 calories the way I used to eat big piles of ice cream. You can do this, Meg!! Planning meals in advance is key! I know I have to save those 150 cals for after dinner if I want to have my cone.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:29 PM   #30  
Princess to Be

S/C/G: 267/270/175

This is very encouraging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
Hi Meg! I'm a Meg who's lost more than 120 pounds and kept it off for almost four years now. You bet it's possible! I counted calories and learned to love exercise (and became a personal trainer!) You can read more about my story here.

You can do it -- Meg Power!!
Tiffany_Bracelet is offline   Reply With Quote