Success Stories! Share your success stories! Let's work together to make this the busiest forum of all!

Old 03-11-2006, 08:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

Default A great big NSV for me....

I did my first cardio class last night. It was called The Ultimate. It combined Cardiovascular excersize and weight training. It was an hour long class. I told my trainer who teaches the class that I may only stay for half of the class...that i didn't know if i could do a whole hour of cardio. He of course said it was fine.

So, i got started. I was dying after the first 5 minutes of warming up. It was a tough class. Lots and lots of lunges. I mean, we did walk lunges across the class room about 4 times back and forth. It was hard. then lunges using the step. Lots and lots of leg work. and yes, i took mini breaks when i just couldn't do another thing. i would get my water, take a sip, get back to my step and join right back in. I took like 30 second breaks when i really needed them. It was a tough hour class. My legs are sooooo sore today from the work out, but the NSV is .....that i did not leave that class room until everyone left. I followed the whole hour long. I am soooo proud of myself for not giving up. and i am going to do it again next friday. I am not going to give up. I think my trainer was proud of me too. so that made me happy.

but on a side note, i will not wear a large white tshirt again to class. i was the largest person in that class, and i looked like the great white whale in the mirror. next week it will be a black shirt to match my black pants. (of course, i'm hoping to be down to 176 this week so i can treat myself to a new workout outfit any ways)
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:55 AM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Wow, it sounds like a killer! Congratulations on sticking to it, hon!!
(and I hear ya re: the t-shirt. I wore a big red one today, and boy, did I look fat and BAD! It's black for me next week, too!)
Keep up the great work!
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:21 PM   #3  

thanks ellis...i can't wait for friday to get here again to do it again. i just hope it doesn't take too long to get the soreness out of my body.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:55 PM   #4  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

That's great, Lumi! To have the determination to stick it out like that! I'd have probably walked out (crawled out) during that first 5 minutes!

I think one of the things that has kept me away from doing any sort of classes though is just what you were talking about: being the biggest in the room. If you're the biggest at 177... gee...
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 02:10 PM   #5  
Play that funky music!

S/C/G: 290ish/266/250

Height: 5'4"

Wow, that sounds grueling! Congratulations on getting through it... great job!

-lala
dalai_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 04:04 PM   #6  

Height: 5'8.5"

Fantastic, Lumi... so glad you were able to stick with it!!! Way to go!!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 08:26 AM   #7  

Height: 5'-2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less of Lena
That's great, Lumi! To have the determination to stick it out like that! I'd have probably walked out (crawled out) during that first 5 minutes!
And just because you're the biggest, doesn't mean you're the least fit!
I remember once in my college days, my best friend took me to an exercise class. It was the first one for both of us. I weighed 128 (I'm 5'-2") and was very fit, and my girlfriend was about the same weight, but five inches taller. She always thought she was in better shape than me because she was rail thin. Well, half-way through the class she had to run out of the room to be sick. Made me feel really good about myself.

Lumi, enjoy the soreness... it means you've worked hard!!
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 08:47 AM   #8  

thanks guys. i am sooo proud of myself but i am starting to think i really over did it. i have gained 3 pounds this weekend, and i know it is water retention in the muscles because i have not eaten that many calories this weekend. and i really have trouble getting up and down. once i get to walking, the pain in my upper thighs subsides, but when i go to sit....ouch, ouch, ouch. and then get back up...ouch, ouch, ouch. maybe next friday i'll tell me trainer what happened and see if he thinks i should not try so hard on the lunges, or does he think i should just do like i did last week and deal with the pain during the weekend.

but since i am taking my kids to the park today, i am going to do a couple of laps around the track and just keep trying to use my muscles. (i can even really feel the muscles in my calves too*** ouch, ouch)

and you're right ellis, there was an older woman who was in better shape body wise, but i saw lots of times she would stop doing the cardio and just kind of do her weights. maybe she was actually smarter than me to not push herself too hard soo soon. oh well, i'll talk to my trainer next week before the next class and see what he says.

thanks guys for the support.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:27 AM   #9  

I can relate, Lumi! Yesterday when I went to the fitness center in my apt complex, there was only one other person there... a big strong guy doing all kinds of mega exercises that I couldn't have done if it killed me. I felt a little silly but was not about to leave! I just did strength training though and 10 minutes on the treadmill since I get in my cardio with walking outdoors. Although people crack up laughing at me on the treadmill... I dance around on it and do arm exercises, body twists, etc... to me it's a waste not getting that in at the same time LOL.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:40 AM   #10  

i hear ya dance!!! sometimes if a good song comes on i can feel my head start to lull around. i have to be careful not to get into it too much or people might start looking at me. lol.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:52 AM   #11  

LOL for sure, Lumi! I am not even sure where my headset is but I need to dig it out. Great music sure helps. I have a couple of Randy Stonehill CDs that are great! It is Christian music but great for everyone as his songs are funny and appropriate... such as "Great Big Stupid World" and the one about all the junk we eat, etc... hmmmmm got to dig out that thing!!! I can really get cranking with it!!!
Old 03-12-2006, 10:54 AM   #12  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

Lumi-GREAT JOB getting thru your first class. What a great feeling you must have had! I usually get over the soreness in aout 3-4 days when I do a new routine. Hope yours doesn't last any longer than that. I always say its a good ache because I earned every bit of it. Congratulations.
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:27 AM   #13  

congrats! Just take it easy today.. give your muscles time to repair themselves

Beth
healthytoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:38 PM   #14  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

Hi Lumi!! Congrats on getting through that class. I think you might be right though, that you overdid it. I did this step class back in October and I pushed it way too hard, and my knee was sore for weeks which really impeded my exercise. Then I hurt my foot on the treadmill in February. It's frustrating trying to find that line between pushing yourself in a healthy way and pushing yourself too hard.. I'm not sure how to balance it, but it's something we need to watch out for while our bodies adjust to increased exercise.
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:06 PM   #15  

hey futuresurferchick, congrats on your 40 pounds down. somedays i wonder if i am ever going to hit 20 pounds....much less 40 pounds. i really do get discouraged some days. but seeing that others are doing it, really helps keep me motivated that i can do it too.

my legs are feeling better today. i thought about taking half a cardio class today but i really think i should start out slow. so i am going to just stick with friday's class and not push too hard. i have to realize i can't make myself thin by pushing too hard. slow and steady wins the race, right??

thanks all for your encouraging words. it really does mean the world to me to have people praise me for the things i feel are accomplishments. you guys mean so much to me and i dont' know if i could keep going if i hadn't found this website. thanks guys!!