South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-30-2006, 07:18 PM   #1  

Question Advice on upping Calories?

I'm on my second to last day of P1, after looking at fitday.com, I'm thinking I'm not getting enougth calories. I'm really only at about 1000 per day.

This is a typical day for me:

Bfast: veggie quiche cup (SBD recipe)
Snack: String cheese
Lunch: Leftovers from previous night's dinner, today it was a SBD cola chicken breast, and broccolli.
Snack: String Cheese again, some veggies (peppers, mostly)
Dinner: Lean ground beef patty with 1 slice FF Cheese, Green beans
Dessert: Sugar free jello w/ 1 tblsp whipped topping (Cool Whip FREE)

For Drinks I have water water water, one cup coffee with 1% milk and sweet n low, and one diet decaf soda.

So - what am I missing here? Do I just need to eat MORE of this stuff? You guys are sooo helpful, I turn to you again!
sfgiantsjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:29 PM   #2  
just a few more...

S/C/G: 138/112.4/105

Height: 5'1"

I'm kinda in the same boat. I eat a lot more than you but all the extra stuff is just more veggies. I'm never hungry either. But when I put it in fitday it comes to 950-1050 and then I burn another 200-300 calories at the gym.

One thing I have started adding are black beans and lf cottage cheese but both are so filling.
batmomm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:08 PM   #3  

Boy - do I need to know too! I've been at 900-1000 calories too. I'm only losing 1 to 2 lbs per week. I work out in the gym 4 days per week. Today I did a stretch class, 45 minutes of treadmill at my target rate, a set of free weights, and a set of machine exercises. Although I find it hard to eat now, I sure was hungry after todays workout.

?Do you think this inability to eat is a type of eating disorder - or do I just not believe that eating fewer calores means a quicker weight loss if your calories are too restricted.

Help from knowing lifestyle members!!
surfdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:15 PM   #4  
Who needs sleep?

Yes, both of you need to get more calories or you'll sabotage your weight loss efforts. Your body needs a minimum number of calories or it will go into starvation/survival mode and you won't lose weight. SBD isn't a starvation diet - it's a sensible way of eating.

It /is/ harder to get enough calories in ph1 without the grains or fruits. Try eating some lowfat plain yoghurt or cottage cheese, or drinking some lf/nf milk (I think you can have 3 servings of dairy per day, not counting cheese - but check the food list in the FAQ forum to be sure).

Also try adding some heartier veggies such as beans to your diet. It looks like you aren't really getting enough veggies, either, although it's just a guess since you don't list quantities. Remember - at least 4 1/2 cups each day of a good variety of veggies. Tomatoes stuffed with lf cottage cheese and green onions or chives makes a good snack and will add some much needed nutrients. While legally categorized as a vegetable, tomatoes are botanically a fruit and are rich in vitamins.

Hope this helps!
H-ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:16 PM   #5  
Who needs sleep?

surfdreams - you ought to consider getting more calories, but your weight loss is a very safe, reasonable rate. 1-2 pounds/week is considered ideal. If you lose too quickly, you are at a greater risk of gaining it back.
H-ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 218/203/150

This may be a bit unorthodox, but I took this advice from my trainer and it's been working for me.

I usually eat as you both have during the week. On the weekends I tend to splurge a bit having grains or fruit with every meal (one serving - portion control does matter) and I don't worry about calories.

This seems to offset the calorie deficit during the week and still encourages weight loss.

Again, this is what has been working for me. It may not work for you and I'm not actively recommending it.
rotten_banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:04 AM   #7  

I have the same problem. I eat good sized portions of all my veggies, smaller portions of fats and proteins. I'd add more, but it would just seem to be adding more fat (like if I had some more cheese during the day). I rarely crack 1,2000 calories a day when I log it into FitDay. Then again, I haven't been able to exercise as much as I would hope, so maybe it's all working out.
SunLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:15 PM   #8  

Thanks to everyone for the advice on upping calories. I finally figured out how to subscribe to a thread!!
Old 02-06-2006, 10:44 PM   #9  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

My advice for upping calories? Super Bowl Party. HAHAHA just kidding. Worked for me though.
weezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 11:14 PM   #10  

That's funny weezle!! I don't even count calories on this plan -- but I'm sure I'm getting enough, I eat a lot, mostly the most enormous SALADS! They have beans, olive oil, tuna or chicken, feta cheese...no I'm def getting enough calories! Hey I've lost 10 pounds as of today (started Jan 3) so I'm a happy camper. I love this diet because I really love the food and am never hungry, and don't fuss about portions and calories too much.
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:46 AM   #11  

Good one!! I upped the calories through too much wine!! But I sure had a good time. Gotta splurge once in a while
Old 02-07-2006, 10:39 AM   #12  
GARDENING ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgiantsjo
This is a typical day for me:

Bfast: veggie quiche cup (SBD recipe)

So - what am I missing here? Do I just need to eat MORE of this stuff?
You need to eat more than one veggie cup at breakfast. The book suggests: 2 veggie cups, V8 and coffee OR 1 veggie cup, 2 slices canadian or turkey bacon and 6 oz tomatoe juice, etc. Omelets with veggies are great, too.
2BFIT1 is offline   Reply With Quote