South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 11:20 PM   #1  

Default What is my problem?????

I am so depressed and mad at myself. I have totally fallen off the wagon. I have ate everything I wanted for about a week, maybe a little over, could be close to 2 weeks, who knows I've lost my mind also. I was so proud of myself, I was down to 198 lbs from 238 (after delivery of DS in Dec), I was 198 just a few weeks ago I remind you, this morning I was 204.6, my feet and legs burn from being so swollen, I am out of control, I eat because I can, I am sneaking food so nobody knows I'm eating it because they may ask for some, I'm not kidding, what is wrong with me???

I started school last week and a new job which is not very stressful (actually it relieves some stress, I get away from DH and 3 kids, tee hee hee), so it shouldn't be stress related, and I have been spotting for the last few weeks, every since my tubal ligation I have not had a normal period, in the beginning I was too heavy, then I started low carbing (Atkins) and hardly had one at all, and now I am spotting for a day or 2, stopping for a week or so, then spot again for a day or 2, etc. So I don't know if it is my *time* making me crave and go crazy or if it is all in my head and I am talking myself into believing I have to have it because it's my time.

Any advice on getting back on the ball....I can't take it no more, I have even stopped walking, outside, treadmill, stationary bike you name it I stopped it, and now I feel my body getting soft again. I don't want to go through this again, I actually saw a body change in myself and now it's looking all lumpy again (ahahah). Advice/ personal success stories would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Amy
Old 09-28-2005, 11:36 PM   #2  

Don't be so hard on yourself! You have a lot on your plate (no pun intended) ... perhaps staying away from junk food and just eating vegies and fruit and such. I don't think anyone ever got fat from binging on fruit or carrots!
Old 09-29-2005, 03:56 AM   #3  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Amy, failure is just not getting back up again...while success is getting up again, one more time. You can do it! It sounds like cravings and some bad planning hit you all at once.

First, admit this slip to your family. Tell them what you've been doing and ask for their help in keeping you out of the situations where you eat. I know that this might be a stopgap measure, as ultimately you need to control your own eating, but it'll get you through a week of P1 so you can control your actions without the cravings driving you nuts, okay?

Second, get everything out of your house that tempts you. If you honestly think that some of it has to be in there because of your family (and I'd take a serious look at asking them to replace these either with similar items that don't tempt you, like starburst instead of snickers, or having them buy them and consume them outside the house. Your family should be willing to do these things for you in order for you to gain your health, IMHO), ask them for help in getting them out of the house until next week so you can get through P1 first.

Third, evaluate what led to this problem and take the necessary steps to ensure it won't happen again.

Fourth, think of positive ways to deal with the problem in the future (i.e. I'll take a bubble bath, a walk, journal, call a buddy, or vent online in my journal).

Fifth, do P1 again...use the recipes in the recipe forum to make it easier and more palatable, and jump on a P1 thread in here to help support you through.

Sixth, make sure you keep all sugars out of your diet so the cravings don't come back.

Seventh, start exercising again! It'll make you feel good and give you so much energy!

I know you'll be back on track before you know it and kissing 200+ pounds goodbye forever!
Old 09-29-2005, 07:28 AM   #4  

Oh dear Amy I'll bet there isn't one, not ONE lady registered to 3fc that's hasn't felt what you are feeling!

My heart goes out to you because I, too, have been in your shoes. Sometimes making suggestions are difficult for others because we all have our own personal triggers, but you did a smart and self-loving act by reaching out to the group!

When I am barrelling out of control I find that I need to slow down and get more sleep. Fatigue can be a tremendous emotional eating trigger . Personally, I eat well all day until about 4:00, then I start to disintegrate. As my energy level dips, so does my resolve and then my sugar consumption rises. Make sure you are getting enough sleep, naps and do-nothing time.

Drink more water! A great book to read is "Your Body's Many Cries for Water", by F. Batmanghelidu, M.D. (www.watercure.com). We often feel hungry or tired when we simply need to drink water.

You might want to put a sign on your fridge/pantry/drawer, etc. in the shape of a stopsign (octagon) that says "STOP! THE ANSWER IS NOT IN HERE" and put another sign that says "THE ANSWER IS HERE" and put in on your treadmill , sneakers, pillow, waterbottle, bathsalts or anything that helps you honor your committment to self-care (this is from Pamela Peeke's booK).

Finally, like Laurie said, keep the junk carbs out of the house! Especially your personal trigger food (for me it's cereal...I could eat an entire box of Golden Grahams in one sitting). With kids it can be tough, but they need to eat healthier things, too.

Also, tri to keep healthier binge food around if you have too like cool whip or sugarless pudding.

Okay, I've blathered on enough Pick yourself up and dust yourself off and stay in touch when you need support

-Liz
Old 09-29-2005, 07:44 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Amy, there isn't a thing I can add to what these wise women have written except this.....the chicks who have been successful in this forum seem to be the ones who check in frequently, whether they are on plan or off plan. It helps to get and give support. Lots of us post on the daily whether it's just to chat about our daily lives, whine (not encouraged) or rejoice in small successes and NSVs which are non-scale victories. Believe me, it helps! You will overcome this funk and start losing again. Think veggies and water. (((Amy)))
Old 09-29-2005, 08:37 AM   #6  

Ruth, you said..

"the chicks who have been successful in this forum seem to be the ones who check in frequently, whether they are on plan or off plan. It helps to get and give support. Lots of us post on the daily whether it's just to chat about our daily lives..."

Whew! So glad you said this!! I was starting to wonder about the "appropriatness" of chatting simply about daily events in our lives vs daily weight issues (yeah, like there's a difference) ;-)

I think this helps to build the kind of bonding that leads to the support we are all here for.

Just my oh-so-deep thoughts this morning. Geez. Enough coffee for me.

-Liz
Old 09-29-2005, 08:51 AM   #7  
Kyemom

Amy- stay strong dear. We are all here for you, and we believe in you. I know sometimes it is very hard. One thing that works for me...no laughing please....is, if I am craving something (and I too am a hide and eat girl)...I make myself go upstairs into my bathroom, take off all of my clothes and look at myself in the mirror. It is usually only a very quick glimpse from the back that I need to know...I do not need or want this food that is going to make it look any worse back there!!!!
Get rid of those trigger foods, and be good to yourself...We are here, post often, we will listen and help all we can.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:57 AM   #8  
RNMOM

Default Hugs

Sounds like you're pretty normal to me. Agree with everything the others have said!!! HUGS
Old 09-29-2005, 09:08 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I think every one on the great weight loss journey has slipped and fallen. We either see the weight loss and get complacent about it and gain it all back or get down/depressed because we aren't seeing results as quickly as we want and so stuff it, I'm going to eat what I want. Or some other stress in our life hits and we turn to food for comfort.

You've come up for air after the big binge, so brush off the food crumbs pick yourself up and focus on right now. Don't think about losing all the weight, focus on now. I will walk now, I will not eat the cookie now, I will do something else now. Eventually, you'll need to plan for the week a little bit so you'll have food to eat, but just for today concentrate on the now.

Maybe start a journal, keeping track of what you are eating when and why, the emotions behind it. Maybe you'll discover something that suprises you. Start writing about what you are feeling when you lose control, it might help.

Keep in touch,
Sarah
Old 09-29-2005, 12:44 PM   #10  

Thank you all so much..
I have brought my exercise bike out from the bedroom (where I thought I would use it after kids went to bed, yeah right), I brought it out into the living room w/ my treadmill ( I don't care how bad it looks) and have made a comittment to myself to daily do the treadmill during the first half of my favorite soap (All My Children) and do the bike during the 2nd 1/2 hour, as long as my baby let's me, I watch it anyways, so might as well do that.

I have still not got back to eating right as of today, I need to seriously go to the grocery, even the kids are complaining now, so I will go tonight, I have put it off long enough, but I am gonna do my walking/biking. At least that is a start in the right direction.

Thanks again, I feel much better.
God Bless all you ladies.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:37 PM   #11  

I have no wise words other than to agree with much of the wonderful posts that have already been done.... just wanted to offer you hugs and support.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:21 PM   #12  
prc
Professional YoYo Dieter

AMY - Good Luck!!! Don't Give Up... You'll get back in the groove - You've already gotten passed the first hurdle (realizing you lost your focus)... You'r heart's in the right place - Just need to get back on track Sending lots of good thoughts your way...

Please post again and let us know how you're doing....
Closed Thread