South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 11:08 PM   #1  
Who needs sleep?

Smile Tommorrow's the big day!

At last, I'm starting the SBD tomorrow morning. We just got back from a prolonged bout of low-carb, low-fat, sugar free shopping (other than sandwich bread for DS). The fridge is packed with veggies. I forgot tahini, though, so I have to go back out again tomorrow <sigh>. I couldn't find a sugarless salmon spread, either, so now that I've found some recipes, I need the ingredients to make it! We're getting rid of all our pasta, rice, etc - all that stuff we can't eat - except for fruit, some homemade jam (strawberry and raspberry-rhubarb), a little pasta (mostly little raviolis), and whole-wheat bread for DS. Our custom-smoked breakfast beef STILL hasn't come in, so I guess we'll eat lean turkey links until then (Hopefully will be ready very soon - it's been almost 3 weeks now!).

As we've been slowly improving our diet over the past couple weeks (preparatory to starting SBD), I've been glad to see that DS seems to have a natural taste for healthy foods - he loves raw veggies, hummus, avocado, and olives, for example. He likes some not-so-good stuff, too, but doesn't mind not getting them all the time. For a long time, his cousin refused to drink any milk but chocolate. DS likes chocolate milk, and appreciates it as a treat, but loves plain milk just dandy. Whew!
Old 08-14-2005, 11:50 PM   #2  

Heather.. you really sound right on track - good luck!
Old 08-15-2005, 12:22 AM   #3  

Wow!! What an awesome start!!! That is wonderful that your son likes the good foods you will all be eating!!!
Have a great first day "on the beach!!!"
Old 08-15-2005, 12:35 AM   #4  
going places

Heather - I just realized that you are near Seattle! I was born in Tacoma and raised in Washington! The last 5 yrs I lived there I was living on the peninsula at Sequim Bay, right across the water from John Wayne Marina. Oh my goodness, I can't tell you how much I miss the mountains, the forests...and just the GREEN of everything!

You're gonna do great - you're already such a great contributor to the threads...I look forward to cheering you on as your weightloss starts
Old 08-15-2005, 03:22 AM   #5  
SoLdIeRs WiFe

hey girlie, good luck on your SBD! stock up on plain non fat yogurt! they are great and they come in handy, i have one everyday... keep us posted.

on SBD for almost 5 months!!!
Old 08-15-2005, 03:44 AM   #6  
Who needs sleep?

Thanks, everyone! I'm looking forward to being healthier, and to setting a good example for DS.

Val - it IS beautiful here - and the peninsula is really lovely! It's getting so expensive and crowded, though. I don't know how long you've been away, now, but it's really hard to find anything affordable within decent commuting distance of the Seattle/Eastside area. DH's new job is in Tukwila, and we live in Everett. Ouch! He'll be commuting by train so he can study while commuting (he's going back to college, too). Sadly, salaries don't seem to be keeping pace with the inflation!

Soldierswife - thanks for the advice! I don't like to eat yogurt, though - I only like it as an ingredient or as tzitziki/raita. I ended up getting lowfat, not nonfat - for the amount I'll be eating I figured that would be lite enough, and DH will like it better (and so be less tempted to dive into DS's full fat Greek yogurt!).
Old 08-15-2005, 09:11 AM   #7  

Height: 5'-2"

Heather, good luck, girl! I know you'll do well. As Val said, we look forward to cheering you on.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:47 PM   #8  
Who needs sleep?

Well, I weighed myself this am for my "official" before weight - I dropped 7 lbs before even starting SBD! Just cutting way back on sodas and being more sensible about what carbs I eat, and how, and when, made a big difference. What a great kickoff!
Old 08-15-2005, 03:01 PM   #9  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Good luck! Sounds like you are well on your way!
Old 08-15-2005, 05:40 PM   #10  
cranky & determined

'Good Luck, HEATHER!!!!

I'm sure you'll do grrreat - what fun that you already dropped 7#! You've gotten a good headstart.... :d
Old 08-15-2005, 05:58 PM   #11  

good luck!
Old 08-15-2005, 10:20 PM   #12  

How did your first day go?? Good I hope!! What an awesome surprise to get on the scale and find that you have already lost 7 pounds!! Woo Hoo!!!
Old 08-15-2005, 11:42 PM   #13  
Who needs sleep?

It went pretty well, I think. Breakfast was a fried egg and a piece of string cheese. Elevensies was a stalk of celery and a cherry tomato stuffed with Garlic and Herb Laughing Cow Lite. Lunch was a shrimp salad with vinegar and oil dressing. Afternoon snack was a No Pudge ff sf "fudge" bar (not too bad, a little too sweet for me though). For dinner, we had Taco Bake (thanks KPW!) on a bed of lettuce, topped with lowfat sour cream, salsa, currant tomatoes, and olives. It was yum! And very filling! Even DS seems to like it!

I popped off to the store for some smoked salmon earlier, and I noticed that I could smell the bakery products VERY well! I have a terrible, almost non-existent sense of smell, so for me it was a very unusual experience! Low carb shock? Who knows!

In a little bit I'll nibble some pistachios, then I'll call it a day (once I've done the dishes, cut up veggies for tomorrow, and made DH's lunch). Talk to you tomorrow!
Old 08-17-2005, 01:03 AM   #14  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Heather, with such great preparation, Phase 1 will be a breeze! Good for you! Congrats on having a son that likes to eat healthy! He sounds like Barb's son Brian. I really hope that our kids have that inclination too!
Old 08-17-2005, 09:25 AM   #15  
I will be-SEXY mom of 6!

Good luck!! You sound so well organized, way to go!!
Closed Thread