South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 01:09 PM   #1  
Kyemom

Default Beans

I don't mean to sound stupid, and I am actually a very good cook...but....
I have never really made beans from a dried state. How do you do it...I saw something about soaking, boiling...HELP
Old 07-27-2005, 01:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Rinse them, pick out any rocks (the directions always say that, but I've never seen any rocks in my bags of beans.) Put them in a bowl and cover with water for several hours to overnight.

There's also a quick soak method usually on the bag, you pour boiling water over the beans and then you can cook them in an hour or so.

Soaking helps them cook faster and many people think it helps with the gassiness of beans. I think the longer soaking helps with that, but the research says it doesn't matter...so who knows.

Then drain the water, rinse the beans pour them into a pot, cover with water and simmer for about an hour until beans are tender. Don't add salt until they are done.

Sarah
Old 07-27-2005, 01:48 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Cooking 101:
Soak overnight in cold water to cover. Drain, rinse and pick out any discoloured beans. Cover with fresh cold water and bring to a boil. Skim off foam and then reduce heat to keep it just simmering. Depending on the type of bean and the age, they will take about 40 minutes to a half hour. Check package directions if any. (My test for doneness is to blow on a spoonful. If the skins curl back, they are done for the next step in baked beans.)

There is a quick soak method too. Cover with water and bring to a full boil for ten minutes. Take off heat and let them sit for an hour. Then drain and cook as above.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:52 PM   #4  
Kyemom

Is there a way to do them in a crockpot?
Old 07-27-2005, 01:55 PM   #5  

I really like beans but I don't like gas!!! So what I have learned is to quick soak my beans by bringing them to a boil for 10 min...let them sit for 1 hour and then rinsing and rinsing them again...until all the coloration is off and the water is running clear. I then cover with cold water and cook until they are tender (varies due to different sized beans).
Lentils and peas I do not pre-soak as they cook well on there own without soaking!!
Good luck! I love beans!!
I also like to "re-fry" my own pinto beans. After I have cooked them I put them into a pan that has about 1/2 tsp. olive oil for each serving. I put enough beans and some juice with them. I mash most of them with a fork but I do leave some of them whole. I cook them until they are the desired consistency. I sometimes add a little bit of salt and I like to add some minced garlic...yummm!!!
Old 07-27-2005, 01:59 PM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Sure you can cook them in the crockpot but they still need to be pre-soaked. 5-8 hours at low should cook them. I sometimes do them overnight.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:00 PM   #7  
Kyemom

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!
Closed Thread