South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 01:50 PM   #1  
Crispy Mama...

Default New here--intro

Hi fellow SBDers!!! My name is Vikki. Couldn't find an intro thread so here I am, lol. I started SBD on May 1 and am down 34 lbs. Went off the diet for the July 4 weekend and am needing to get myself back on track now. I have 15 more lbs to lose, and really need to stick w/this so I don't gain it all back!

I have a HUGE garden (3000 sq ft!) and have all the fresh organic veggies I could ever want. TOO MANY, lol! I literally am bringing in 40-50 squash per day, more than that w/the toms, and cukes, and carrots, and fresh herbs, etc... Now back to actually eating them!

I was so proud of myself and was feeling soooo good and thought I'd never be able to go back to my old habits, but lo and behold, they snuck themselves right back into my life. My worst time of the day is late at night when everyone else is in bed. I am a night owl, and that's something I need to work hard to change. Just can't seem to get to bed earlier! I feel that if I can get into bed earlier, I won't be so tempted while I'm relaxing in front of the tv (the only time I watch it). ********sigh********

Soooo, I thought I'd search out some more support and that should help keep me in check.

Last edited by theherbmama3; 07-20-2005 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:03 PM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Welcome, Herbmama!

I think you'll love it here...you did just the right thing. There is a Bio thread in the FAQ that you can add to, if you like, but started your own thread to introduce yourself is exactly what we do here. Join us in the daily chat (just check for the thread with the name of the day in it) so we can get to know you better! Be sure to read the stickies in the FAQ for more hints, and I think you'll love the recipe section. Try the zucchini patties for a YUMMY way to use up some of that squash!

You might think about adding an extra snack after dinner instead of dessert and eating it three hours after dinner. I stay up late too, and sometimes I need another snack. Just make it something that has lots of veggies and some protein...like three bean salad, peppers and hummus, or celery with laughing cow, okay?
Old 07-20-2005, 02:20 PM   #3  
Crispy Mama...

Thanks for the welcome, beachgal!

We NEVER eat dessert. If I make one, I send it to work w/dh. Just made zucchini cobbler and no one knew it was zucc, lol. Fooled 'em!

I usually try to eat some nuts and a boiled egg, but *someone* (hanging head in shame) brought a bunch of pure crap that can be easily grabbed and scarfed. BAD mistake. Will NOT be doing that this week at the grocery store! I was doing soooo well, and then just got human all of the sudden, i guess.

Has anyone noticed that foods taste different now (after going on phase 1), smell different? Even my long-time-fav incense smells bad to me now, lol. Micro popcorn smells awful, most sweets taste like dung to me now. Some of the icky carbs don't taste so bad, so I feel that I should completely start over on phase 1 again so that they start tasting awful again.

One thing that has been on my mind is the change in my body odor when on phase 1. I know that it doesn't happen to everyone, but it sure did to me. I still smell different (not bad, just different), but one phase 1 it actually got pretty bad--ketosis. Ugh. My dh swears he didn't ever smell it, but my teen dd did. I told her that's my losing weight she smelled. It got to the point, though, that I skipped a baby shower because I was soooo embarrased. I had to take 3 showers a day! Anyone else experience this?
Old 07-20-2005, 02:20 PM   #4  
Started SBD 1/26/04

Hi Herbmama welcome to the Beach!!

Your garden sounds wonderful. Ours isn't doing very good this year with the exception of the tomatoes. And OK I'm already getting sick of them but boy do they taste so much better than the store bought stuff.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:23 PM   #5  
Kyemom

Welcome!!! Never heard of smelling bad from weightloss.....Hope I don't have that issue to add to my pot of issues!!!
Old 07-20-2005, 02:24 PM   #6  
Crispy Mama...

HIya Karla! Mmmmmm, we eat about 4 toms a day each. We eat 'em like peaches, they are sooo yummy! Just a bit of sea salt sometimes. We'll all be standing over the kitchen sink w/juice running down our chins, lol.

I have been grating zucc. for the freezer for months now! I probably have 200 cups of it in my big freezer. No canning or freezing toms yet, though, 'cause we can't stay out of them. But the zucc...oh my. I have about 60 sitting on my counter screaming for my immediate attention...
Old 07-20-2005, 02:32 PM   #7  
Crispy Mama...

I feel like I'm the only one on the planet who went into ketosis from this. None of my other friends who've done this w/me had that problem. I know I'm not the only one, but it feels like it. I found out about it on a low carbers site when I googled in 'stinkin' from low-carb dieting', lol. Why me?
Old 07-20-2005, 02:38 PM   #8  

Welcome! I am sure you will love it here =)
Your garden sounds amazing. My husband is obsessed with his plants and veggies in his garden!!
Old 07-20-2005, 04:32 PM   #9  

Height: 5'-2"

Vikki, welcome to the Beach!

The reason you couldn't find a Bio thread is because old Ellis here inadvertently deleted it while "house cleaning".

I'll go and start another...
Old 07-20-2005, 06:01 PM   #10  
going places

Welcome to the beach, Vicki! I want your veggies!! You'll love it here...the girls are great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theherbmama3
I feel like I'm the only one on the planet who went into ketosis from this. None of my other friends who've done this w/me had that problem. I know I'm not the only one, but it feels like it. I found out about it on a low carbers site when I googled in 'stinkin' from low-carb dieting', lol. Why me?
theherbmama3 - I don't know if it's ketosis or not...but I noticed the smell about 4 days ago while exercising and have had it ever since. I know it's not a normal 'exercise' smell...it's different and even after I wash it seems to linger. I thought that maybe it was toxins being worked out...whatever it is I'm sure that it signifies a change in our bodies...hopefully for the good
Old 07-20-2005, 06:47 PM   #11  
Crispy Mama...

Hi Val. How many days have you been dieting? MIne started on about day 4 or 5, I believe. It cannot be washed away, as it is coming from inside, if ketosis is what you are experiencing. Showering helps to some degree, but it'll come right back. It is, however, a really good sign! It means that instead of burning sugar for fuel, your body is actually burning fat! Yay!

Read this.... http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips011.html for more info.

Be sure to eat enough protein so you don't lose muscle!
Old 07-20-2005, 07:12 PM   #12  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

I thought you weren't supposed to go into ketosis on this diet?? Maybe eat more veggies and legumes??
Old 07-20-2005, 07:18 PM   #13  
going places

day 4 or 5 sounds about right...I've been exercising every day, too. It's funny because I had spent several months in ketosis while I lost over 100 pounds on Atkins and I don't EVER remember smelling this bad. The other thing that's funny is that I had to really try hard to stay in ketosis while on Atkins...I haven't even worried about it on SBD. By the way, I found a bottle of ketone testing strips and tested just out of curiosity...and yes, I'm in fat burning mode. YAY US!!!!

It's strange too...because I've been eating beans and legumes every day. Maybe it's all the exercise.

I'm gonna go in the lab and work on a special new cologne for that smell
Old 07-20-2005, 08:20 PM   #14  
Crispy Mama...

There's not one word about ketosis in the 3 SBD books I own. I had to go in search of what was making me smell funky. From what I've read about it, though, only some ppl get it. No idea why, either. I'll see what else I can find.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:47 PM   #15  

Height: 5'-2"

Vikki, you definitely should NOT be going into ketosis on this diet. If you are, you're not eating enough carbs. This isn't a low-carb diet, it's a good-carb diet.
If it isn't ketosis (if you're eating properly with lots of veggies, etc), the odor may just be part of the detoxification period for you. Some people actually sweat the junk out of their systems.
Closed Thread