South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 03:50 PM   #1  

Default Soy Beans/Nuts

Hi, I'm fairly new to this board and South Beach. I've read the book and have the food lists, but still have some questions.

1. Are soy beans or dry roasted soy nuts allowed on Phase 1?
2. Are they considered a vegetable?
3. Is soy protein isolate allowed on Phase 1?
-how about soy based shake powder? (sugar free of course and low fat)
4. Is soy flour allowed on Phase 1?

Thanks much!
Old 06-13-2005, 03:58 PM   #2  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Soy nuts *BLECK* are

I don't know the rest of the answers to your questions but if you do a search of this forum, I am sure they are there!
Old 06-13-2005, 04:03 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome to The Beach! Please note that the food lists in the book are out of date depending publication date.
Soy nuts are listed in the Revised Phase I Food List in the FAQ. They are considered a meat substitute but the amount is limited, like nuts.
Shake powder? We would need ingredients to give an opinion. There are some shakes in the recipe section that use soy and whey protein powders. Soy flour is allowed in small amounts for thickening sauces. Bean flour works too.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:50 AM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

I eat soy nuts all the time ( Jenn)...just a couple whenever I feel a craving coming on, or if I come home and feel hungry but want to wait an hour for dinner, etc. Usually somewhere around 3-6 of them. It's a great snack...has protein to keep you full for a while, but much less fat (and healthier) than peanuts. Dr. A says in the GFGCG that soy can help lower LDL cholesterol. He also says that the green edamame (raw soy beans/nuts) are good. I count the green ones as a veggie, and the roasted ones as a meat sub in small amounts.

Soy protein isolate sounds like an ingredients in frankenfoods and low carb snack. Remember that we are trying to eat less processed food and get away from the type of snacks that helped us get where we are now, rather than substituting a different version of the same foods, okay?
Old 06-14-2005, 10:22 AM   #5  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

It's weird. I HATE soy nuts but LOVE edamame.

3-6 Laurie? I ate 3-6 handfuls and I didn't like them! The brand was not one I recognized but I got them at CVS (and left them at the movie theatre ). They were tiny!
Closed Thread