South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 09:24 AM   #1  

Question Is anyone a paid member on the SBD online?

Hello everyone I keep seeing the posts for the online SBD club and was wondering is it worth the 65.00? I thought it was a bit expensive for my blood lol but also wondering for those who are a memeber is it worth it?

Thanks in advance

p.s I am extremeley happy here on 3fatchicks but I just wonder am I missing something by not being on the sbd online.

Old 05-10-2005, 09:33 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I've not been a member myself, but I have read that others who have paid have said that the boards are much better and cheaper too.

But, if you do decide to do it, please pass on what you learn. We always are interesting in more information.

Sarah
Old 05-10-2005, 12:05 PM   #3  
it's always something

I'm a member I think it's really a shame they don't offer a trial period, even if it was just for one visit. They have the "tour" but it's not the same as actually getting in there and digging around.

They have a lot of recipes for all the phases. It also will generate daily menus for you, including recipes. If you don't like the meal that appears, you can click to choose from a variety of other meals. This would be really handy for someone that isn't sure what to eat.

Q/A's for the diet, answered by Dr. Agatston They include tips, health articles, and more. There aren't LOTS of articles, certainly not as many as in eDiets, but they are still good.

They offer a journal (public or private) where you can log your feelings, etc, as you diet. We also offer free journals, though they are always public, not private.

Their forums are good, though we think ours are just as good, and free However, they do have "Ask the nutritionist" which lets you get accurate advice from a registered dietitian, and you can learn a lot just by browsing that forum. I wish we had that

Whether or not it is worth $65, it's hard to say. If it was just $30, I'd say it was well worth it.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:23 PM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Suzanne, thanks for chiming in!

I know several people on here were members for a while and then stopped. They felt they had gotten enough after a couple of months. They stayed here. I think the support here is fantastic, but I can see how some of the items on SBD online might be worth it, depending on what you need.

Hopefully a couple of people who used it and stopped will chime in. I seem to remember that Barb was a member there once. Is that true?
Old 05-10-2005, 12:30 PM   #5  

Nope, Laurie, it wasn't me. I do get the Daily Dish but I just balked at spending the money.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:39 PM   #6  

Height: 5' 2"

Is that $65.00 a month or a year? If it's for a year then that's not bad, but for a month.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:42 PM   #7  

I receive the daily dish and there was an advertisement for a SBD PDA software, when I clicked on it, I say an ad for a trial subscription to the SBD Site. IF i find the link I will post it.

I thought the membership was $5.95 a week?
Old 05-10-2005, 02:05 PM   #8  

http://www.skyscapeonhand.com/eStore...BeachDiet.aspx

Here's the Link. Please keep us posted.

Thank you,
Old 05-10-2005, 04:24 PM   #9  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander
Is that $65.00 a month or a year? If it's for a year then that's not bad, but for a month.
It's quarterly, so that's $260 per year. I think $10 per month is much more reasonable.

Connieliv, thanks for the link!
Old 05-10-2005, 08:33 PM   #10  

Thumbs up

Thanks Ladies I am going to dl it on my PDA for 19.95! I love this website I swear lol

Carol
Old 05-10-2005, 09:22 PM   #11  

Ok everyone I got a 1 week free subscription to SBD online and the website looks great!! It has inspirations, the foods to eat what to avoid, a motivation section, success stories, diet buddies, health info, recipies, health center, excercise guidelines etc... it's Jammed pack with information!

This is the adaption plan for phase 1.

How to adapt your meal plan - Phase 1

The South Beach Diet™ is designed so that you can easily swap meals and ingredients. If you don't like eggs for breakfast, have low-fat cottage cheese or lean meat instead. Not a fish lover? Then choose lean beef or poultry. In Phase 1 of the diet, you can eat as many proteins and vegetables as you like, plus fats like olive oil. Fruit and starches aren't allowed until Phase 2. Here's a look at some general eating guidelines. For specific food choices, check out the Phase 1 Foods to Enjoy & Avoid list.

BREAKFAST
Protein: Vegetables: Fruit: Starch: Milk/Dairy: Fat:
Quantity is not limited. Start with a 2 oz. portion, eat slowly, go back for seconds if still hungry.

Minimum 1/2 cup or 6-8 oz. tomato or vegetable juice.

None

None

2 cups allowed daily (including yogurt)

1 tsp mayonnaise, trans-free margarine, or oil (optional)

SNACK
Snacks are required. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, or nuts/seeds. A snack that combines protein (1 oz.) and vegetables is encouraged.

LUNCH
Quantity is not limited. Start with a 3 oz. portion, eat slowly, go back for seconds if still hungry.

Minimum 2 cups.
We encourage you to include a serving of beans (1/3-1/2 cup) as part of your vegetables.

None

None

1 Tbsp mayonnaise, trans-free margarine or oil, or 2 Tbsp salad dressing

SNACK
Snacks are required. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, or nuts/seeds. A snack that combines protein (1 oz.) and vegetables is encouraged.

DINNER
Quantity is not limited. Start with a 3 oz. portion, eat slowly, go back for seconds if still hungry.

Minimum 2 cups.
We encourage you to include a serving of beans (1/3-1/2 cup) as part of your vegetables.

None

None

DESSERT / EVENING SNACK
Desserts are optional. Enjoy some of your Sweet Treat allowance, a dessert, or any of the snack choices.

SWEET TREATS
Sweet Treats are products that contain sugar alcohols. You can enjoy them throughout the day to satisfy your sweet tooth — just limit yourself to roughly 75 calories worth per day to avoid any GI distress.
See a list of Sweet Treat options here

BEVERAGES
Diet, decaffeinated, sugar-free drinks are not limited. You can enjoy caffeinated coffee or diet sodas with caffeine added, but limit to 1 - 2 servings per day.

**SWEET TREATS for phases 1, 2 and 3**

SWEET TREATS (Limit to 75 calories per day)
Sweet treats are items that contain sugar alcohols, such as:
Candies, hard, sugar-free
Chocolate powder, no-added-sugar
Cocoa powder, baking type
Fudgsicles, no sugar added
Gelatin, sugar-free
Gum, sugar-free
James and jellies, sugar-free
Popsicles, sugar-free
Syrups, sugar-free
Some Sugar Free Products may be made with sugar alcohols (isomalt, lactitol, mannitol, sorbitol or xylitol) and are permitted on the SBD. They may have associated side effects of GI distress (abdominal pain, diarrhea & gas) if consumed in excessive amounts.

SUGAR SUBSTITUTES
Acesulfame K
Fructose (needs to be counted as Sweet Treats, Caloric Limit)
Nutrasweet (Equal)
Saccharin (Sweet & Low)
Sucralose (Splenda)

BEVERAGES
Decaf Coffee and Tea
Diet, decaffeinated, sugar-free sodas and drinks
Herbal teas (peppermint, chamomile, etc.)
Milk (1% or fat-free) and soymilk (low-fat plain). See MILK/DAIRY.
Sugar-free powdered drink mixes
Vegetable Juice
Note: caffeinated coffee or diet sodas with caffeine added are allowed, but limited to 1 - 2 servings per day.

** Phase 2**

BREAKFAST
Quantity is not limited. Start with a 2 oz. portion, eat slowly, go back for seconds if still hungry.
1 fruit serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 3 total servings for the day.
1 starch serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 2 or 3 total servings for the day.
2-3 cups allowed daily (including yogurt)

LUNCH
Minimum 2 cups.

1 fruit serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 3 total servings for the day.
1 starch serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 2 or 3 total servings for the day.

DINNER
Minimum 2 cups.

SNACKS AND DESSERT
Snacks and dessert are optional. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, artificially sweetened non-fat flavored yogurt, nuts/seeds, or some of your Sweet Treat allowance. A snack that combines protein (1 oz.) and vegetables is encouraged.

SWEET TREATS
Sweet Treats are products that contain sugar alcohols. You can enjoy them throughout the day to satisfy your sweet tooth — just limit yourself to roughly 75 calories worth per day to avoid any GI distress.

BEVERAGES
Diet, decaffeinated, sugar-free drinks are not limited. You can enjoy caffeinated coffee or diet sodas with caffeine added, but limit to 1 - 2 servings per day.

** Phase 3**

BREAKFAST

3 fruit servings allowed daily.

3 to 4 starch servings allowed daily.

LUNCH

Minimum 2 cups.

DINNER

Minimum 2 cups.

SNACKS AND DESSERT
Snacks and desserts are optional: Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, artificially sweetened non-fat flavored yogurt, nuts/seeds, or some of your Sweet Treat allowance. A snack that combines protein (1 oz.) and vegetables is encouraged.

SWEET TREATS

BEVERAGES

** Some of this my be dulpicated but I hope this helps **
Old 05-10-2005, 09:27 PM   #12  

Default Part 2 the reintroduction phase for part 2

Hi everyone this is the re introduction phase for phase 2. I am sure that this is posted probably somewhere but this is from the website :

Phase 2 Foods
You can enjoy all of the foods allowed in Phase 1 as well as those listed below.

Foods you can reintroduce
to your diet

BEEF
All hot dogs (beef, pork, poultry, soy) can be enjoyed occasionally (once/week) if they are at least 97% fat free (contain 3-6 grams of fat/serving).

FRUIT (Start with one daily serving, gradually increase to 3 total servings daily)
Apples - 1 small or 5 dried rings
Apricots - 4 fresh or 7 dried
Banana, medium-sized (4 oz.)
Berries, all - 3/4 cup
Cactus Pear Fruit (Prickly Pear)
Cantaloupe - 1/4, or 1 cup diced
Cherries - 12
Grapefruit - 1/2
Grapes - 15
Kiwi - 1
Mangoes - 1/2 medium (4 oz.)
Oranges - 1 medium
Papaya - 1 small (4 oz.)
Peaches - 1 medium
Pears - 1 medium
Plantain
Plums - 2
Prunes - 4

MILK/DAIRY
(2-3 cups allowed daily, including yogurt)
Yogurt

artificially sweetened non-fat flavored yogurt (limit to 4 ounces daily and avoid varieties that contain high fructose corn syrup)

STARCHES (Start with one daily serving, gradually increase to 3 total servings daily.) Unless otherwise stated, choose whole grain products that have 3 grams of fiber or more per ounce.

Bagels, small, whole grain - 1/2, or 1 oz.
Barley - 1/2 cup
Bread - 1 slice (1 oz.)

homemade breads using whole grains (buckwheat, whole wheat, spelt, whole oats, bran, rye)
multigrain
oat and bran
rye
sourdough (may be used, but whole grain is the best choice)
sprouted grain
whole wheat

Buckwheat - 1/2 cup cooked
Calabaza - 3/4 cup

(considered a starchy vegetable; count as a starch/grain serving)

Cassava - 1/4 cup

Cereal

Hot - 1/3 -1/2 cup, uncooked. Choose whole grain and slow-cooking varieties (no instant types).
Cold - 30 grams/1 ounce/3/4 cup. Varieties with 3.0 - 4.9 grams are “good” sources of fiber. “High” fiber cereals have 5.0 grams of fiber or more per serving. Choose a cereal with enough fiber to be at least on the upper end of “good,” and make sure it has less than 8 grams of sugar per serving.
Couscous, whole-wheat or Israeli - 1/2 cup cooked
Crackers, whole grain with 3 grams of fiber or more per ounce and no trans fats
English muffins, whole grain - 1/2, or 1 oz.
(most contain 2.5 grams of fiber per half a muffin—varieties varieties with 3 grams of fiber are the best choice.)

Green Peas - 1/2 cup

Muffins, bran - 1 small, homemade

sugar-free (no raisins)

Pasta

Whole wheat is best choice - 1/2 cup cooked (3 grams of fiber or more per 1/2 cup)
Soy is second best choice - 1/2 cup cooked (3 grams of fiber or more per 1/2 cup)
Pita - 1/2, or 1 oz.

stone-ground
whole wheat
(most contain 2.5 grams of fiber—varieties with 3 grams of fiber are the best choice.)
Popcorn, 3 cups popped

Air popped
Microwave, plain, no trans fats
Cooked stove-top with canola oil

Potato, sweet, small

Pumpkin - 3/4 cup

Quinoa, 1/2 cup cooked
Rice - 1/2 cup cooked

basmati
brown
converted or parboiled
wild

Rice noodles - 1/2 cup cooked
Soba noodles - 3/4 cup cooked
Taro - 1/3 cup

Tortillas, 100% whole grain, 3 grams of fiber or more per ounce, no trans fats - 1 small
Winter squash - 3/4 cup

Yams, small

VEGETABLES
Carrots

OCCASIONAL TREATS
Chocolate (sparingly)

bittersweet
semisweet

SWEET TREATS
Pudding, fat-free and sugar-free (1 serving per day)

BEVERAGES
Wine (1 - 2 glasses daily with or after meals)
Foods to avoid or eat rarely

STARCHES AND BREADS
Bagel, refined wheat
Bread

refined wheat
white

Cookies
Cornflakes
Matzo (exception: whole wheat varieties, which are allowed)
Pasta, white flour
Potatoes

baked, white
instant

Rice cakes
Rice

white
jasmine

Rolls, dinner

VEGETABLES
Beets
Corn
Potatoes, white

FRUIT
Canned fruit, juice packed
Fruit juice
Pineapple
Raisins
Watermelon

MISCELLANEOUS
Honey
Ice cream
Jam
Old 05-11-2005, 12:23 AM   #13  

Height: 5' 2"

Wow... Thank you Connieliv for information and link. I'm printing this out. One week free!! Yay!!

Suzanne, I agree $10 a month is more reasonable.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:50 AM   #14  

I just got the free week when I purchased the SBD for my pda and the website is AWESOME too. I might just auto renew it I know it's 65.00 for the 13 weeks but it looks really cool. I will see how I feel about it when my time comes up to re new
Old 05-11-2005, 10:01 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Thanks for sharing. Those of us who are frugal (ok, ok, yes, I admit I'm cheap ) would love to read more of what you discovered on the pay site.
Closed Thread