South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 09:53 AM   #1  

Red face Hi! I'm new here

Hi everyone! My name is Jenn and I live in Southeast Missouri. I'm getting ready to start phase 1 on Monday. This weekend I'm going through the recipes and making a list for my first week of shopping and cooking.
My hubby is also starting SB, but he doesn't have as much weight to lose as I do. I'm afraid he'll be done and happy in phase three while I'm still in phase two. SO, I decided to find some additional support to help me through this. I'm excited, but nervous. I'm not sure I totally understand the plan. I guess I'm so used to weighing and measuring and counting that this seems foreign to me.
For instance, when I buy salad dressing, do I have to find one with no sugar at all? I'm confused by that....
I'm so happy to have found this site!!! Your stories are very inspirational. I've made a promise to myself that I will make it though the first two weeks without cheating. And I will walk every day that it's not raining. I just want to see what I'm capable of!
Thanks for listening!!!!
Jenn
Old 04-09-2005, 10:13 AM   #2  

Hi Jenn -- I'm at exactly the same place. I just finished reading the book, I am making a grocery list, and planning menus. They'll be a bit boring for the first two weeks, no doubt, but hopefully I can get past it, knowing that there's an end to the strictest part. My husband is also going on the SB plan with me, and like yours, has less to lose than I do. But there's no way that I will be able to do this without him. I have a double motivation -- my cholesterol is up, and my daughter is getting married in 12 weeks!

Good luck! I'm sure we can both do this.

Deb
Old 04-09-2005, 10:25 AM   #3  

Welcome! I make my own salad dressings (love to cook!) so that I know exactly what is in them, but I believe that I've seen it posted here that 3 grams of sugar or less in your salad dressing is what you are looking for off the shelf. Longtimers, please correct me if I am wrong about that

As for your walking, can you get a dvd or video for days when it is raining? Walk the local mall? I have found that the exercise not only helps me feel good physically, it makes me feel good mentally. I am keeping my commitment to myself each time I exercise and I use the time to think about my progress, goals, etc. Just a thought.

Have a great Phase 1 and post often!
Old 04-10-2005, 04:57 AM   #4  

That is correct about the salad dressing. Look for one with 3 grams or less of sugar and check which oils are in it to make sure there is no saturated or trans fats. Olive and Canola are the best oils but others are okay too. The Good Fats/Good Carbs Guide is a great reference on what is allowed although I don't often need to reference it any more.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:33 AM   #5  
GARDENING ADDICT

Welcome Jenn and Barb!!!
Old 04-10-2005, 02:53 PM   #6  
A Lily from my yard!

Welcome aboard chicks!
Old 04-10-2005, 08:08 PM   #7  

Height: 5'-2"

Jenn, welcome to the Beach!
Old 04-11-2005, 03:42 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 216/193.5/130

Welcome. Like you, I'm also starting on Monday (well, today!).
Old 04-11-2005, 07:04 AM   #9  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Welcome all you new chicks, you will love it here. Pull up a chair and stick you toes in the sand.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:28 PM   #10  
mommy2

Default Hello!

I'm new to the beach too, Jen. I'm on day 7 of the beach. Phase 1. It is SOOOO much easier than ADK!! Also, you have the added reward of knowing in two weeks...you can have FRUIT!!! And POPCORN!! And wheat BREAD!! Ohh ....did I say BREAD???

~The first step in reaching your goal is setting your goal~

YAY for you! You've already had ONE success!
Old 04-11-2005, 03:15 PM   #11  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Welcome Jenn and Deb!

Jenn, the info on salad dressings is correct. You want 3 or less grams of sugar and you want the dressing to be made with good fats. If the word "hydrogenated" is in the ingredient list, drop it like a hot potato! Instead, search for canola, olive, and soybean oils.

Deb, trust me, Phase 1 isn't boring at all! You'll miss fruit and starches, I'm sure, and the cravings can be bad during the first 3-5 days, but it is so worth it! And with things like the chicken and eggplant casserole (SBD cookbook), Taco Bake (see recipe forum), Stuffed chicken (recipe forum), Almond Dijon Chicken (recipe forum), and Peanut Butter Cup (recipe forum), you'll be in heaven with variety and yumminess.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:10 PM   #12  

Hey Jenn

I am a Missourian too. I live in St. Louis. What part are you from?

Good luck with Phase 1

Jamie
Old 04-13-2005, 09:54 AM   #13  
Conquering with SBD

Welcome to the beach, Jenn.
Closed Thread