South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 07:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 157/157/140

Height: 5'8"

Default Does V8 count towards your veggie intake???

Just wondering if I'm getting enough veggies. I've been counting my V8 as part of the required amount but wanted to make sure it was okay.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:23 PM   #2  
it's always something

Agatston recommends v8 as your morning vegetable with breakfast, but suggests whole vegetables for most of your veggie servings, due to the fiber content. I can't find an official answer, so maybe someone else will know, but I would limit it to one or two servings per day and get the rest whole.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:35 AM   #3  

I was Just wondering... can V8 count as a mid-morning snack?
Old 02-10-2005, 05:32 PM   #4  
beachbum

Thumbs up V8 is a good

mid morning snack and for any time of the day.Yes I drink alot of V8 especially when I see my food journal doesn't have enough veggies for the day. Hugs BB
Old 02-10-2005, 06:12 PM   #5  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

V8 was suggested by Dr. A, I think, because many people are used to having juice as part of breakfast. It's a juice substitute, but NOT a veggie substitute. It's better for you than juiced fruit because it doesn't have the same amount of sugar, but the same rules apply for juiced veggies as juiced fruit...lots of calories for very little fiber.

You want to be eating more whole veggies so they fill you up and give you fiber. Drinking V8 won't hurt you, but it won't help you, either. When people on the boards say that the more veggies they eat, the more they lose, they aren't kidding. But they aren't talking about V8 either.

My nutritionist said that unless I was craving juice, to stop drinking the V8 and eat veggies instead. So now I have a cup of tomatoes with my cottage cheese or a bell pepper with hummus with my tomato basil burger in the morning.

If you have V8 for snack, make sure you include some protein, like nuts, beans, or cheese, or even a piece of lunch meat. V8 alone won't fill you up enough to carry you to the next meal.

Just my thoughts.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:39 AM   #6  
i luv my dog!

I like to have a cup of V8 as an 'appetizer' right before my meal. Sort of like a soup, the extra liquid helps fill you up.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:35 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/164.8/135

Height: 5'3

I use a 5.5 oz can for my veggie serving with breakfast because I just can't seem to get myself to eat veggies that early unless I shred some zucchini in my eggs and then I still add the V-8. The rest of the day is full of whole veggies.
Closed Thread