South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 08:03 PM   #1  

Question How much exercise do you do?

and what type? I'm on my 4th week of weekday treadmilling. I usually do between 35 and 45 minutes Monday through Friday. How about you?
Old 01-25-2005, 08:19 PM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

I used to do an hour of cardio/weights 3 times a week, but I've really gotten off track since the fall with exercising.
I've started back, and I'm doing 15 or more minutes a day on the treadmill. I'm trying to get back to running, and I ran for 7 minutes today.
It doesn't sound like much, but I'm proud of myself for moving my butt.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 157/157/140

Height: 5'8"

I try to use my eliptical machine every day. I've been in pt for a buldging disk in my back so I'm working my way up to 45 minutes. I started last week and I'm up to 25 minutes right now. I need to start doing weights in the near future also.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:50 PM   #4  
Punkin Fairy Mama

S/C/G: 262/233/140

Default haven't been doing it very long

dh and for the last three weeks have been doing one and a half hours in the gym three days a week (aiming for 4 this week)... I do 60 on the bike 30 on treadmill... But since I can't have a baby till I lose some weight I'm feeling VERY motivated...

I just hope it's enough to get me to 2 pounds a week which is the only hope I have for getting to goal any time in the next two years... We have been working out at our work gym which is mostly weights a treadmill and some bikes... I want to join a real gym with a pool and classes because am really afraid boredom is going to set in real soon...
Old 01-25-2005, 11:59 PM   #5  
Amber

S/C/G: 180/165/130

I do not do nearly enough exercise. I got off to a good start on the treadmill and sit ups but that's been kinda shot to **** and back. Excuse my language. I'm hoping to maybe join an aerobics class that is at 6am. But, I have to see if they're still doing it and i'm also going to get a key to the fitness center next monday. We do'ht have a Curves or Jazzercise or anything like that here in my town. I'd have to drive an hour for something like that, but I would really like it if there were.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:29 AM   #6  

Take a look at the stickied post called January Exercise Challenge and you will get an idea of many people's exercise.

I have a membership at Bally's. I normally get 20 hours of exercise per month. I do elliptical and stationary bike mostly for my cardio (sometimes treadmill), I do the weight machines and I have recently started taking some of the classes - Intro to Pilates Mats, Powerflex and Pain in the Butt. What I do really depends on the time I have. Occasionally, I go to a different Bally's that has a pool and then I add in some swimming. In the summer, I take my son to the city pool and we swim outdoors but they are closed until Memorial Day.

Last edited by Barb0522; 01-26-2005 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:26 AM   #7  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

MercyNo, I'm with you, girl! I, too, need to lose weight in order to get pregnant, and am way more motivated because of that! However, instead of doing so much cardio, try doing weights. Do them first, and then do your cardio. Here's what my trainer has told me:
  • When you lift weights, you burn the energy in your muscles. When you do cardio, your body gets energy from your muscles first, then it uses the energy in your fat. If you lift weights first, you'll use up the energy in your muscles so the cardio can only look in your fat for it. You'll burn more fat!
  • Lifting weights for an hour will burn more calories over the next 12 hours (even if you sit and do nothing during that time!) than you would burn in an hour-long aerobics class!
  • Lifting weights builds muscle. Muscle not only looks slimmer than fat (see the picture stickied in the Exercise forum), but unlike fat, it actually burns calories all the time, even when you are sleeping! Therefore, the more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism and the more calories you burn. Good stuff!
  • Your bulked up muscles can help fill in some of that loose skin, especially in the arm area. I still have loose skin right around my armpit, but the rest of my arms look really good, and not saggy at all.

Check out the Ladies Who Lift forum for lots of tips on exercises you can do with the weights.

I fell off the wagon around Thanksgiving with all the Christmas busy-ness, but am now back to my regular schedule: Weights and abs for an hour twice a week, elliptical for a half hour once a week, Jazzercise for an hour once a week and Pilates for 20 mins once a week. In two weeks my Pilates class at work starts up, and then I'll be doing Pilates for an hour each week. I love Pilates!
Old 01-26-2005, 12:16 PM   #8  

DH and I run for 40 minutes 3x/week in summer, and we do it in winter too unless it's snowed in which case we cross-country ski around our property. I also have Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds 4-mile tape and I do that if it's too rainy to run. Since I stalled on my weight loss with Weight Watchers, my motivation to exercise has been nil. I am hoping to get that motivation back now that I am on the beach!
Old 01-26-2005, 01:10 PM   #9  

I've been "playing" the X-Box game, Yourself! Fitness. I do whatever the trainer suggests for the day, which is either cardio or focusing on upper or lower body, core, or flexibility. It's fun because I'm not doing the same thing every day. I usually do it every day for 30 minutes, except on Tuesdays.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:07 PM   #10  
I found my hipbones!

Hey, Gish! I think I'll look into getting the Yourself! Fitness "game." It's about time someone thought up a virtual trainer! I just looked it up on the xbox website, and it looks like it's got some really neat features. Besides, it's about time DH and I used that xbox for more than just lazing around.

My current exercise routine isn't nearly as impressive as some of you ladies', but I can usually fit 10 minutes on the bike in the morning and 20 to 30 minutes of pilates into my evening. That way I get both cardio and strength-building done.
Closed Thread