3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Monday Chit Chat (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/52381-monday-chit-chat.html)

Jeffy 01-24-2005 12:13 PM

Hi there - newbie to this board too (HI AZ!!! I promise I'm not stalking you, lol. But I did follow you over once you mentioned this site :) ) This looks like a great forum with lots of info and good peeps :) Good luck to all on South Beach! I'm beginning my 4th week now (I'm sticking to Phase 1 for a while), and have lost 15.5 so far :)

cottagebythesea 01-24-2005 12:20 PM

I thought I'd pop in and see what's been happening here, and wow, so many posts already! I got up early and started right in cleaning the house and mopping floors, then went and got my hair cut and got groceries. It's pretty slippery out, thank goodness the stores I went to are only a few blocks away. Bamie, Laurie, and Historychick, it's nice to know I have company this time while I'm doing Phase 1 over. I started today, so this is day 1 for me, too. I had 2 scrambled eggs topped with a little salsa for breakfast, and for lunch I'm having a leftover chicken breast w/ stirfry veggies. I'm going to try the Stuffed Pork Chop recipe for supper, with green beans. This time I planned out all my meals ahead of time, so I hope that makes it easier for me. I'm glad you addressed the flax seed issue, Laurie. I was also going to mention that you should eat milled (ground), in order to get the most benefits from it. I almost always use it as a substitution for oil, too. It's wonderful in the muffin recipe! Can you believe that they STILL HAVEN"T fixed the broken water main yet? Water is going up on the sidewalks now and freezing. A truck from the water authority was out looking at it when I got home from the store earlier, but they left without doing anything and no one else has been here since then. Another day and we can have our own little neighborhood skating rink!

Bamiegurl 01-24-2005 12:24 PM

Well I am taking a break and thought I would check in. My we are a chatty bunch today! I love it! Welcome to the Newbies. We are glad you joined us. I am still pulling up the tile in my kitchen! Oh my goodness what a workout! I'm tryin to get it finished before DH gets home today from his trip. His plane lands around 3 I think. I don't have a whole lot left but it is a very slow go job. I accidently made the wrong coffee this morning so I am a jitter bug! I used DH caf. instead of my decaf. I kept thinkin why do I feel so weird (I drank 3 cups!) and then it hit me omg I used his canister not mine! UGH! Good goin Goofy! lol I hope I don't do that again! Well Break is over time to get back to work!

Laurie/Jess.... Here is Phase1 good vibes! (((()))) I can't wait to detox! I just feel gross right now knowing all that junk I have been eating. We will feel better in the end and I know we can make it! Look out 30's here I come!!!!!!!!

Bamiegurl 01-24-2005 12:29 PM

Cottage... I'm sendin the vibes your way as well! teehee! Those people kill me drivin by look drive off. Nobody wants to tackle it I'm sure! Hello it's your job no matter the weather! Hope they fix it soon and no other problems arise from it!

beachgal 01-24-2005 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonnieJ
OK, lets see what you think. I haven't done very well the last few days ..obviously since I gained a pound...but here it is
2C lettuce
couple scallions
1 really small canadian bacon
2 1/2 TB salad dressing form SBD book

1 skinless chicken breast
1/2C green beans (plain)
1/4 C squash (plain)
4 small carrots

1 chicken breast
in about 1 C stir fry veggies (chinese cabbage, onion, mushroom, carrots)
cooked in soy sauce and rice vinegar
Sunday really bad day
1/2C 1% fat cottage cheese
1/2 container low carb/low fat yogurt
5 small carrots
tried to eat a turkey wing my husband had cooked but couldn't
so no protein

Oh, Bonnie! I'm so glad you posted. First of all, YOU NEED TO EAT MORE FOOD!!! You must feel so deprived! :( Have you read the book yet? If not, please go get a copy today!

You need to be eating every three hours to keep your blood sugar up, even if you are NOT hungry. Include veggies with EVERY meal, okay? Including snacks, when possible. If you don't like eggs for breakfast (I don't either), try adding some cucumber or grape tomatoes to your cottage cheese. Or put it on celery!

Carrots are NOT allowed on Phase 1 and they could be seriously impacting the amount of weight you are losing.

Try getting the book and reading it if you haven't, then start Phase 1 over. This time, no carrots, more veggies, more food, and lots more lean protein...chicken breast, tuna (try putting mayo in it...this is a good fat, not a low fat diet!), lean beef, fish, pork tenderloin, etc.

When you don't eat enough protein and do enough strength training while losing weight, you end up losing muscle along with fat. You don't want to do that!!! :yikes: Muscle burns calories just by being there but fat doesn't. Plus, fat takes up much more room and is much bulkier. Eat your protein! And try to get it from leaner sources than cheese, okay?

Try to stay away from most low carb products, like yogurt. They use fillers like gelatin to replace the carbs. We don't care about how many carbs we eat, just what kind they are. And carbs from milk are fine! Also, check those popsicles. What's in them? Are the ingredients SBD friendly?

There are tons of ways to incorporate more veggies in your diet. Start with ones you like and add in ones that are okay for you...see how to make them so you like them more.

Salads are easy, but need more nutritional value...try using baby spinach or spring mix instead of iceberg. Add shredded cabbage, chopped up broccoli and cauliflower, tomatoes and more veggies, but no carrots in Phase 1.

I don't remember if squash is allowed in Phase 1...Ruth? :?: Check our lists in the FAQ to be sure.

Bonnie, I know you can do this, girl! Try this again and you'll see your pounds come off much quicker. And don't deprive yourself, okay? Poke around and you'll find lots and lots of info on snacks, possible breakfasts, how to add in veggies, and more! :grouphug: I know you can do this! :cheer: Please PM me if you have questions, okay?

Ruthxxx 01-24-2005 01:16 PM

Summer squash is allowed on Phase I - think Zucchini, spaghetti, crook neck and patti-pan BUT the other squashes are NOT.

beachgal 01-24-2005 01:27 PM

Ruth, I knew you'd know! :D

Barb0522 01-24-2005 01:29 PM

Bonnie - Laurie really hit it on the head. Her advice is great (as always :) )BTW, summer squash like zucchini, spaghetti squash and yellow squash is allowed on phase 1 while you wait until phase 2 for winter squash. Make sure you are eating every three hours. If you have trouble getting vegetables with breakfast, try V8 or tomato juice or eat your vegetables with your snacks. I have red pepper for my morning snack and often have cauliflower for my afternoon one. And, please try to add more protein. I add black beans to lots of stuff. There is a recipe for black bean and chicken burritos that I made this weekend. That shredded chicken cooked in salsa is SO good. It would be wonderful over shredded cabbage in phase 1.

Me - Very busy at work since I took the end of last week off. I've got my gym bag packed and plan to try the Pain in the Butt class after work today. Maybe my balance will be better this time. Tonight's dinner is grilled Tilapia, rice, and green beans with soy sauce, ginger and crushed red pepper. I've started to drink more milk lately and I've really been enjoying it. I add a little SF chocolate DaVinci syrup to it. Yum!

Welcome to all the new people!

geekchic 01-24-2005 01:38 PM

Holy cow this board is busy!

I am in day 2 and doing great! I lost 2.4 pounds overnight! I know it is water weight but wahoooo!!

Someone said about the duck being too fattening, on the weekend thread. We are raising our own ducks so we control how "fat" they get, and also we roast it in the oven on a roasting rack so most of the fat drains off, and then I only eat the breast with no skin. It really has the texture of chicken by that point. :) But yes, we get about 1/2 cup of fat/oil draining down into the bottom of the roasting pan, so I know that it can be very fatty if it is not prepared right.

I am munching on some LF colby cheese and drinking a spicy V8. Lunch time is almost up! TTYL!

Bamiegurl 01-24-2005 01:48 PM

A broad... I am counting it for my Jan. goal since I had gained it in Dec. and it was there Jan.1. haha I am hoping to be able to add to it though since I am finally over my illness and have restarted Phase 1. Maybe another 6! hahaha I didn't lose that much the first time I did phase 1. OMG I just realized it is one year ago today that I started SBD! Ain't that summin herre I am starting over again on the same date! Well I did it then and I know I will do it now! I think I am in that same frame of mind again! Well I am off to work on that stinkin floor! lol

kissyjoy 01-24-2005 02:07 PM

Geez! Checkin' in late and found all of you have been clucking like crazy around here! :) I usually catch up on reading the posts from the weekend on Monday but there are so many of them, I'd probably be here all day! So I'll just say that I hope everyone had a good weekend!

I'm pretty proud of myself for staying OP all weekend. Saturday, I went and spent some time with my sister (who is pregnant and eats crap all day). She's getting so tired trying to take care of her, her son, her daycare and now her cat. It looks like his kidneys are failing which has her completely upset. She can't afford to keep him in the hospital anymore so the vet gave her an IV to administer to him every day. If he doesn't improve this week he'll probably have to be put down :(. I really feel sorry for her considering he was her first "baby". She also doesn't need all the stress placed upon her with the baby on the way (she's about 5 months now).

I told myself that I would resist the bad food at the bridal show yesterday and I did. OK, I had one strawberry cream Hershey kiss but I didn't figure that would kill me too much. This was the first show that I stayed OP on all day. I was hoping that I would get some credit from the scale from that. Nope.....1 itty bitty pound! That's it?!?!?! I even did cardio last week for 3 days. I'll give it another week then go back to P1 if something doesn't happen (although I REALLY want to meet my goal of 10 pounds for the month). I'm going to try to add more exercise this week.

I'm off to get some work done but I hope you all have a wonderful day!

BonnieJ 01-24-2005 02:12 PM

I will use all your advice!

OK,

It is so hard for me to eat when I want so badly to get this weight off. :o I have got to get it into my head that not eating is not working!!!!

Alaska is a terrrible place for fresh veggies so I will go to the frozen veggies and ingnore that my DH hates frozen. He is easy going and will adapt.

Ack! This is Laurie...I meant to quote Bonnie's post in a post of mine, but hit the edit button by mistake! Bonnie, I'm so sorry! :o :o

There was more to this post, chickies...hopefully Bonnie can add it back in...Oops! :O

a broad abroad 01-24-2005 02:24 PM

Bonnie, I wanted to mention that in my list I didn't always spell out "sugar-free" popsicle, "skim" milk, "low-fat" yogurt, etc., etc., or the serving sizes, but they are all within the guidelines laid out in the book.

PS - I also wanted to mention that I am about your same age and height. I hope the experiment works for you. Please let us know.

sxyredhead 01-24-2005 02:42 PM

St. George! I used to spend a lot of time there! Is the White Horse Pub still there?
I'd love to go to Bermuda for a visit sometime, see some of my old stompping grounds, especially Hamilton.

I am at the beginning of week 2 on P1. It has been really easy to follow so far. I am an Atkins junkie from way back so this part is EASY. Can't wait for the next phase!

I live in TN now and love it!

Bamiegurl 01-24-2005 02:55 PM

Hey Lara what part of TN are you in? My Mom lives in Smyrna & I used to live in Murfreesboro.