South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 11:51 AM   #1  

Question How to cook Spaghetti Squash

Hi!

I was a big pasta eater, so I want to try Spaghetti Squash Mozzarella. The recipe says "cooked by your favorite method", what are the methods? All I know about squashes is that they are big, hard skinned vegetables. Does the inside really look like spaghetti? And more importantly, will this taste like spaghetti?

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2004, 01:13 PM   #2  
Hittin' the Beach

S/C/G: 225/212/130

Height: 5'0"

I just microwave mine (I do half at a time) on high for 10 minutes. I place it on a plate or in a microwaveable dish, put 1/4 cup of water in the bottom, with saran wrap over the dish with the squash inside facing up. Turns out perfectly. I got the directions by googling spaghetti squash.

You can also bake and boil it but I am impatient.

The inside does kind of look like spaghetti. I would say it doesn't exactly taste like spaghetti but it is a nice substitute. Oh yeah the squash is yellow and is kind of the shape of a football but with rounder ends. Good luck to you.

Hope you like it!
Old 05-17-2004, 02:23 PM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

It's good, but DON'T think of it as spaghetti, because you'll be sorely disappointed.
It's INCREDIBLE the amount of "spaghetti" that comes out of one squash!
Old 05-17-2004, 06:53 PM   #4  

I tried the spagetti squash yesterday and all i did was boil it for 20 min, then tossed it in fresh roma lots of pepper and garlic salt to taste and i found it a great substitute for pasta. I am going to try adding mushrooms and chicken next! i enjoyed it!
Old 05-17-2004, 06:55 PM   #5  
Hot Stuff

Great timing...I bought a spaghetti squash yesterday to try!
Old 05-18-2004, 09:36 AM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

So, maybe this is a silly question, but what do you do with the rind? Isn't the spaghetti part the "innards" of the squash? Do you boil only the innards?
Old 05-18-2004, 09:53 AM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

OK.....I guess I should put a cooking lesson into the Recipe section.

The innards are the strands of squash that look like spaghetti. The inner innards are seeds which should be scooped out after cooking. Pitch the rind once you have removed the strands.

You boil the whole squash before you cut it. If you bake or microwave it, you can cut it in half and remove the seeds first or later - your choice. Just don't ever try to bake it whole without piercing it in a couple of places or it will explode in the oven.

PM me if you need any more info. I've been eating and growing it for years.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:00 AM   #8  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Thanks, Ruth, that makes much more sense!

Does anyone have a source for a commercial spaghetti sauce with no sugar or do I have to make my own?
Old 10-17-2004, 07:07 PM   #9  
A Lily from my yard!

I know this is an old thread but how in the world do you cut the stinkin thing in half before you cook it!? I tried and tried and could not cut it so I baked it but had to leave so I just left it in the oven and when I got back I cut it but I don't think it is done cause it is chunky and crunchy. Which it was still hard to cut cause the shell is very hard. I thought I might nuke it a few minutes to try and soften it up. I'm not real sure this is the first time I have ever seen, bought, or cooked one!
Old 10-18-2004, 05:11 AM   #10  
i luv my dog!

I found the following info on the internet at: http://www.fabulousfoods.com/feature...pagsquash.html

They have a picture and recipes, too. Hope it helps.

How To Cook Spaghetti Squash

Bake It -- Pierce the whole shell several times with a large fork or skewer and place in baking dish. Cook squash in preheated 375°F oven approximately 1 hour or until flesh is tender.

Boil It -- Heat a pot of water large enough to hold the whole squash. When the water is boiling, drop in the squash and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, depending on its size. When a fork goes easily into the flesh, the squash is done.

Microwave It -- Cut squash in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Place squash cut sides up in a microwave dish with 1/4 cup water. Cover with plastic wrap and cook on high for 10 to 12 minutes, depending on size of squash. Add more cooking time if necessary. Let stand covered, for 5 minutes. With fork "comb" out the strands.

Slow Cooker or Crock-Pot - Choose a smaller spaghetti squash (unless you have an extra large slow cooker) so that it will fit. Add 2 cups of water to slow cooker. Pierce the whole shell several times with a large fork or skewer, add to Crock Pot, cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours.

Once the squash is cooked, let it cool for 10 to 20 minutes so it will be easier to handle, before cutting in half (if it wasn't already) and removing the seeds. Pull a fork lengthwise through the flesh to separate it into long strands. (See photos.) You can do these steps ahead of time, then prepare any of the spaghetti squash recipes whenever the mood strikes.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:03 AM   #11  
Come on Spring!

Bamiegirl, I use my big knife and bash it in with the wooden mallet. works for me.

By the way, I know recipes say to cut lengthwise BUT it is easier to do it crosswise and I think you get nicer strands.

I'll move this thread into FAQ or recipes later on.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:16 AM   #12  
A Lily from my yard!

Thanks chicks! Ruth had I had a mallet I probably would have bashed it in. But I will not have to worry about it anymore because I didn't really like it nor did anyone else. I was hopin that I/we would just to add something different. DD is the only one who would even try it and she is the pickiest!
Old 10-18-2004, 08:39 AM   #13  
Come on Spring!

Whew! I'll close this thread and move it into recipes under side dishes for Phase I.
Closed Thread