South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 09:42 AM   #16  

You can make a big pot of chile for about $10 with meat, and $5 if it's vegetarian. That would last you a few days, and you could take it to work too.

What size are you now? I can check anf see if I have anything that might fit you, although I gave most of my stuff to my sister already. But I might have a few things. You need mostly work clothes, right?
Old 09-01-2004, 09:44 AM   #17  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Thanks Jen, like marigold and Barb -- I know it will end and I know my troubles are nothing in comparison to some right now. It's just rather overwhelming, that's all.

Feeling better today. Sat down last night and Sept is going to very rough, but there are 3 checks in October (not to mention my b-day, I'll ask that in lieu of presents, everyone make a check out to an instiitution of choice that I owe money to!) and that should get me back on track.

Thanks again all!

Jenn
Old 09-01-2004, 10:00 AM   #18  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Jenn!

I'm glad you are back and so sorry you are going through this! I think you are doing a great thing by figuring this all out now and planning to live small until it's taken care of. Getting your finances in order can be really tough!

I listen to a great radio program called 'Money Matters' put on by Crown Financial Ministries (www.crown.org). They say that many financial counselors (whom you can see for free) will speak with your credit card people and get your amounts down...either by combining payments, reducing interest rate, taking away fees, etc. They can really help you get things together.

I've been very impressed with my student loan company...over the years I've had lean times like yours and they were always willing to defer the payments for a while. As long as you are up front with them, they will help you out. They are most interested in your not going into default, and they'll do whatever they have to in order to ensure that doesn't happen. They also offer a plan that has smaller payments for three years (I think), then larger payments from then on, assuming that at first, your job doesn't pay as well as your future jobs will. That plan might be worth your while, now that you are paying for your apartment on your own. Can you get a new roommate? If not, can you move to a smaller/cheaper place? I'm sure you've already considered it...just throwing it out there as an option.

Know that I'll keep you in my prayers and though we all have problems that are of varying importance to other people, how important they are to us is what matters. Don't let the perceived importance of others' problems belittle what is paining you, okay?

I love all the great suggestions others had. I'm going to start another thread on making ends meet and keeping ourselves clothed...I'm in your predicament and should not be spending money on more clothes right now! I'm in a 24/22, but seem to have no clothes in those sizes. I must have gone from a 20 to a 24, then quickly up to a 26. <sigh>

Jenn, please feel free to vent here and know that we are in support of you. I love what Like Marigold said (inspired!)...and she's right. You are not going to get fat because you are the same strong Jen who has made it this far!
Old 09-01-2004, 10:23 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I went through a similiar crisis many years ago right after college. I went to Consumer Credit Counseling. It was a non-profit group, it wasn't free, but it's not too bad for the help you can get. They will negotiate with your credit card people and they stop charging interest while you are paying down your balance. You pay CCCS one check a month, they distribute the money among all your creditors.

It made life so much easier, I was able to get my credit card debt down and pay rent and eat too. What an amazing concept! Well, at that time of my life it was amazing. I was living pay check to the day before paycheck, using my credit cards to fill in the gap of no money and then only paying the minimum due or less. College kids should not be allowed to get all that credit. I got every credit card offered to me, especially if I got a freeby. And I used them knowing full well that I didn't have the money to pay for what I was buying.

Make sure which ever one you go to doesn't charge you an arm and a leg. Now it seems that most of them are specifically "for profit" and it comes out of your money.

Good luck and hey ramon noodles aren't that bad for you, just add a lot of veggies to them. You got to do what you got to do for a little bit. Until things get straightened out.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:33 AM   #20  

Sarah -- thanks for the advice. I am going to see what the deal is with them. I never pay just minimum though -- almost always $100 more than that. Maybe I just go to paying minimum for a month or two? I can't this month because I overcharged on one and got fined. Oh bother!

Thanks for the advice and Wendy and Laurie I pm'd you
Old 09-01-2004, 11:34 AM   #21  
RNMOM

Default Hang on!

I'm with you and fighting for you. Sorry things are rough right now. Don't fall into a trap of destructive behavior, you do know better and have felt better! (I'm giving myself the same pep talk) HUGS!
Old 09-01-2004, 12:49 PM   #22  
i luv my dog!

Jen, when I lived in DC 10 years ago there was some type of program where employers would give participating staff money for metro tokens or actual tokens (can't remember exactly) and they got some kind of tax write off for doing so. I worked in the association world and at the time there were many groups doing that. Maybe you could check around to see if that program still exists. By the way I lost weight walking to the subway!!
Old 09-01-2004, 02:04 PM   #23  

Jenn-
Let me know if you want me to cook a few meals since we are in the same neighborhood. I know what you are going through...I'm in the 6 digit debt thanks to law school. Plus I've put on 5 pouds- grrr.
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hug))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))))))))))

~VT
Old 09-01-2004, 04:02 PM   #24  

Not to change the subject from Jenne's crisis- btw: you can do it! - but VTprop, you went to law school? I am currently applying and am a nervous wreck! Any advice? Feel free to PM me! I would love imput from someone who has been there!
Old 09-01-2004, 05:01 PM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by a broad abroad
Jen, when I lived in DC 10 years ago there was some type of program where employers would give participating staff money for metro tokens or actual tokens (can't remember exactly) and they got some kind of tax write off for doing so. I worked in the association world and at the time there were many groups doing that. Maybe you could check around to see if that program still exists. By the way I lost weight walking to the subway!!
My org pays my health insurance in full -- and I do pre-tax checks starting in September!
Old 09-01-2004, 05:17 PM   #26  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

VT, not to but in, but that sounds like a great idea! Meeting others from 3FC in the same area is fun, (it was great meeting Sarah this week!) and maybe knowing another SBDer is coming over for dinner will keep you OP? So that way you'd be helping each other out!

You never know...

BTW, did your area get hit as hard as Richmond, VT? I am totally out of it on my VA geography...
Old 09-01-2004, 06:40 PM   #27  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss michelle
Have you looked into your local YMCA? Ours has a gym, and I'm not sure what the membership fee is, but it may be way more affordable!
Jenn,

I'm a member at the YMCA in Springfield, and I don't know if their rates are universal, but I only pay $21/month. That's access to the gymnasium, Nautilus equipment, swimming pool, track, free weights, raquetball courts, etc, plus they have all kinds of classes you can take....areobics, step class, yoga, pilates, kickboxing, you name it! I think $65/month is OUTRAGEOUS.

You also can get on the recreational volleyball leage (tonight is game two, wish us luck!) for only $10 per season, if you're a member. I know it's still not plausible right now, but check into it when you've got your finances back on track.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:47 AM   #28  

Weezle- I can definitely tell you there rates are not universal. My company had a wonderful on campus health club. It originally was free but then they started charging $10 a month. Still no problem. Then they decided to sell it to the Y and open it to the public. It is now $43 a month for an individual membership! I go to Bally because it is cheaper than the Y so I guess every area is different.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:47 AM   #29  

BeachGal, the DC area and Northern Virginia got about 30 minutes of a light sprinkling from Gaston. Not even enough rain to make the sidewalk under my big holly tree wet. We've been pretty dry for a while now and could use a bit of rain.
Closed Thread