South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 04:51 PM   #1  

Default Veggie quiz part 2...about colrabi

I was introduced to this yummy root veggie this weekend. I "googled" it today and can find next to no information about it. I have not checked my GFGCG to see if it is listed.

What do you all know about colrabi? Is this a high GI item? Is it a good nutritional item?
Old 08-04-2004, 05:00 PM   #2  

How's this?

Low Glycemic Index Vegetables (under 20)

Asparagus
bean sprouts
beet greens
broccoli
cabbage
cauliflower
celery
cucumber
endive lettuce
mustard greens
radishes
spinach
swiss chard
watercress.

Medium Glycemic Index Vegetables (20-60)

Aubergine
beets
Brussles sprouts
chives
collards
dandelion leaves
greens
kale
kohlrabi
leeks
okra
onions
parsley
peas
peppers
pimento
pumpkin
rutabagas
string beans
turnips

High Glycemic Index Vegetables (over 60)

Artichokes
carrot
corn
dried beans
lima beans
oyster plant
parsnips
potato
squash
sweet potato
yam.

Another site listed Kohlrabi as 27 calories.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:38 PM   #3  
I found my hipbones!

I'm curious how you ate your kohlrabi, smilintwins. My dad always grew them in the garden, peeled them, and ate them raw with salt. I liked them that way, but I never knew what else you'd use them for...
Old 08-05-2004, 12:01 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy324
My dad always grew them in the garden, peeled them, and ate them raw with salt.
That's exactly what I had. My BF (best friend, not boyfriend ) also squeezes fresh lemon juice on them sometimes instead of the salt.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I got this the other day from the skinnydailypost. I had to go dig it out of my trash can, because I wasn't familiar with it. You may have to adapt the recipes a little. But they did look interesting.

On a Kohlrabi Kick
“Oh happy day! Another cruciferous vegetable!”

Really. That’s what I thought, just yesterday when I discovered that the kohlrabi I bought at our local farmers’ market is one of those cabbagey sorts of plants. I just about melted down over this appearance of another indole-packed vegetable in my pantry.

I know. Not nearly normal.

Well, but if you grow tired of cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower while working to keep up your three servings of crucibles per week, the way our top nutritionists recommend, a new choice in your arsenal is a big deal, actually. And this season, in Michigan, where I live, the kohlrabi are particularly good. Cool summers and lots of rain make a great season for these little cabbage-turnips.

That’s what some people call them: cabbage-turnips. But I beg to differ. I think of them as radish-turnips, for their flavor and crunch when eaten raw. And I think of them as a god-send for the way you can bake them or slice or grate and grill them and serve them up as a far tastier, more nutritious, and calorie slashing alternative to taters. You thought cauliflower fauxtatoes were good? Try kohlrabi hashbrowns, baby.

Two recipes for you:

**Michigan Blueberry and Kohlrabi Slaw**

In the bottom of your serving bowl blend:
2 T. extra-virgin olive oil
1 T. lemon juice
2 tsp. real maple syrup
pinch salt
freshly grated white pepper to taste

Peel and grate two 2-inch diameter Kohlrabi into the bowl
Peel and grate one medium carrot into the bowl
Add 5 large basil leaves, sliced into fine shreds
Add 1/2 cup washed ripe Michigan blueberries

Toss, and eat and die of happiness. (It’s even better the next day.) I can highly recommend this as an accompaniment to grilled rainbow trout, for instance.

**Kohlrabi Hashbrowns**

(Mommy! These are good.)

Find a grater with the largest holes you’ve ever seen in a grater. If you can’t find a grater with large holes, then julienne the kohlrabi using a mandoline or by hand. It’ll be worth the effort. Trust me.

Peel and then grate 2 kohlrabi.
Slice into fine slices a half a sweet onion.
Smash up one clove garlic.

Heat a non-stick sauté pan over medium flame, add 2 T. extra virgin olive oil. Toss everything in and stir and cover. Come back every couple of minutes to stir and cover. You want the veggies to brown and soften. Choose your softness. They can get as soft as hashbrowns, or you can leave them a little crunchy. Toward the end of cooking, add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.

You can quarter and thinly slice the kohlrabi and sauté with onions too, if you’re in a hurry. They’re just as good and beautiful that way. Try slicing and grilling them with your chicken or ribs.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:25 PM   #6  
I found my hipbones!

Wow, Sarah! I may have to try the hashbrowns.

I am going home this weekend to help my parents paint the rooms in their new expansion, and Dad's garden is just waiting to be raided.

I just had some pattypan squash (sometimes called sunburst squash, too) from his garden last night actually. Yummy I just steamed them, cut them in half, and added a small pat of I can't believe it's not butter and a sprinkle of parmesan.

Can't wait to have a vegetable garden of my own someday.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:01 PM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Kholrabi is very good in stir-fries too. There's lots of info on Google.
Closed Thread