South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 05:27 PM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Question Anyone given Pilates a try?

I was thinking of going out to buy a pilates workout video today.
Has anyone given it a try?
Old 07-25-2004, 06:42 PM   #2  

I just received the Winsor Pilates tape, I have only done the 20 minute workout. It is not hard, but I am so fat I have a hard time doing the positions. I prefer Yoga, but it is not that far off, just slightly more challenging. I have two friends who love it. Good Luck
Old 07-25-2004, 10:27 PM   #3  

I've been to a few classes at the YMCA and they were great for posture and muscle toning. I find I still need some cardio.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:55 PM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

I've seen the Windsor Pilates infomercials they seem like a good work out.

Well I bought a video that has a combo of yoga and pilates. Chick... I thought I was going to need cardio too, but after like 10 minutes my heart rate was up and I was feeling the burn. But I was only able to do 15 minutes because my lower back and tailbone started to hurt!

You gals think I might need a more cushy mat? Or are the exercises supposed to be done on a really thin mat (which is what I have right now)?

I really would like to keep doing the video, I liked it a lot.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:37 AM   #5  

Elie,

I did the 9 week window challengy thingy...boy did I notice a diffence in how my body was. I never lost weight but I did loose a bunch of inches.

Jen
Old 07-26-2004, 12:46 AM   #6  

i do pilates too, and it is great start out with a beginners one though because some of them are really hard and advanced. you need to practice balance for most of the moves but it is a great way to start a work out plan
Old 07-26-2004, 07:56 AM   #7  

Default Pilates tape?

I've been doing Pilates once a week at my gym. We have thin mats, but most of us take two at a time.

I love it. The instructor watches our moves to be sure we are positioned correctly. Her focus on breathing has helped me when I am doing weights and machines. The breathing helps to keep my back flat on the floor and my abs engaged.

What tapes are you suggesting? Is there a particular one that is fabulous? I am a beginner who is working hard. Can I do this on just my rug and a towel? Let me know please.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:24 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I got "Pilates for Dummies" a couple of years ago and really enjoy doing it. I tend to have knee and foot problems and Pilates is great because it's gentle stretching and movement. I even work up a light sheen of sweat by the end of it.

She does a lot of talking, but after the first time I rewind to tape only to the point of the exercises. I think it's about 20 minutes total workout. I think it's a great first time tape, and it's cheap. I got it at Kmart for $5.95
Old 07-26-2004, 08:47 AM   #9  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

I have the Winsor Pilates tapes. I really loved them! Even after 2 months of doing the 20 minute one daily, I still wasn't able to do the hour long one, but man you should have seen how ripped my stomach was. Unfortunately it doesn't work your lower abdominals quite as much, so you don't see too much difference there. I just got so sick of the same video everyday that I took a break. Otherwise I think they're fun! Good luck!
Old 07-26-2004, 08:48 AM   #10  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

I use Denise Austin's Yoga/Pilates workout tape. There are two workouts on it, one is a beginner workout for 20 mins (which I currently do) and the second is a more advanced workout...think it is 30 mins.

I love it, and the workout is very, very hard! I break a major sweat, and definitely can count it as cardio, especially some of the exercises which call for moving the legs in and out quickly. It's definitely hard, but it never hurts me. I use a thin mat on a carpet. If you are on a hard floor, you might want a thicker mat to protect your hips and shoulder blades. If it's hurting, you might be doing the exercises wrong or using your back or neck instead of your abs to lift you up. The tape I have spends a long time teaching you how to use the right posture to do these exercises safely, which really helped me, I think.

Carol, I'm fascinated by what you said about breathing. I have a horrible time trying to breathe while sucking in my abs. How do you do both? I'd love any advice you have!
Old 07-26-2004, 09:01 PM   #11  

Carol, I'm fascinated by what you said about breathing. I have a horrible time trying to breathe while sucking in my abs. How do you do both? I'd love any advice you have! [/QUOTE]

Beachgal,

Breathing technique is of utmost importance in all exercises. Generally, you inhale when using your muscle and exhale when you release the muscle.

Specific to Pilates: We first lay on our backs (on a mat) with our feet on the floor and our knees up, as if we were about to do sit-ups. Our arms are either above us or to our sides. We are told to inhale and expand our chests and then exhale letting the air out fully, so that we feel our abdomen engaged. We are told to press our belly button firmly into our spine ( not that this is possible). And ,then we inhale again fully, expanding our chests. We do this 3 or 4 times at the beginning of class to 'center' ourselves. Then, when we are ready to do a movement, we exhale, contract our abs, press our belly-button to the spine, and then keep breathing through our noses without releasing the engagement of our abs and usually our pelvics, too.

This is probably TMI. What exactly did you want to know?

Carol

This is the beginning of my 5th week. I'm between an 8-9 pound loss, but I do feel better and I know I've lost inches. I'll have my measurements taken again August 9, the last day of my vacation (in two weeks).
Old 07-31-2004, 06:15 PM   #12  

Thumbs up Pilates

Pilates can be as difficult as you want to make it. As far as the breath and holding your stomach in, think about it this way. The entire time that you are doing your workout, think about what it feels like to have on that pair of jeans that have spent about 2 hours too long in the dryer and you are trying to get them zipped up. You will automatically pull your belly button to your spinal column, try to maintain that and you will still be able to breath. Always think of lengthening the spinal columan and stabilize your movements. With any of the movements you are better off to keep your movements smaller (leg circles, corkscrew) so the movements comes from your abs rather than the legs letting your hips rock around the mat. Regarding the thickness of mats - I always recommend to my classes to use 2 mats especially with rolling exercises such as rolling like a ball and open leg rocker. When rolling on the spinal column there is a risk of injury so PROTECT YOURSELF. With any exercise program protect yourself with all movements. Good Luck! I love Pilates and have been doing it for several years.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:25 PM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I would highly recommend taking a pilates class if you can as well. I've done pilates in a variety of ways and my butt was majorly kicked by a class. I haven't tried winsor pilates though so I can't compare that to a real class.
Closed Thread