South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 11:54 AM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Question OT: Prevacid?

Hi, guys!

I know that this is hardly a medical forum, but since this involves diet and such, I thought I would ask.

Without going into an intensive history, basically my doctors keep on saying I have silent GERD. I have no symptoms. I do have acute sinusitis and asthma, and my ENT doctor suggested that I get tested for GERD, as it can cause both problems. I had an endoscopy and they found some scar tissue near the bottom of my esophagus (sp?). They put me on Prevacid, which I have now been on for over a year, I believe.

So, talking with others at work, many have been on Prevacid or other meds and are frustrated with them. They feel that completely taking away your stomach acid (which is basically what Prevacid does, as far as I understand it) keeps you from absorbing meds, vitamins, from digesting food properly, and allows the buildup of unhealthy bacteria in your GI tract. They are thinking about stopping the Prevacid entirely, and also of taking a supplement called "Orange Peel Extract".

Since I have never had any symptoms of GERD and the scar tissue was nowhere near my nose and lungs, I really do not think I should be on this medicine. Are any of you on it? Do you have any of the same concerns as my coworkers? What are your thoughts? Thanks!
Old 05-27-2004, 06:53 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Please have further discussions with your health professional. We are unable to advise on medical matters on this website.
Closed Thread