South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 09:01 PM   #1  
Jersey Girl

Question How many carbs per day?

I'm just getting started. How many carbs a day are allowed? I have ALOT to loose so the suggested menu just isn't going to fill me up (do 2 eggs and a v8 fill anyone??). Sorry - don't mean to whine but I definitely want to break my carb addiction and need to know what my limits are. I couldn't find this info in the book.

Thanks!!!
Old 05-13-2004, 09:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Omg!!! 2 eggs and a v8 would fill me to the brim I have a very hard time eating as much as I really need to. My carb addiction is totally broken I don't even crave pastas or breads any more its totally unbelievable!! Make sure you snack during the day thats a sure way to make sure you aren't feeling ultra hungry during the day.
Michelle
Old 05-13-2004, 09:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

I forgot to add that south beach isn't about counting carbs. Its about eating the good carbs and good fats versus the bad ones.
Michelle
Old 05-13-2004, 10:10 PM   #4  
I AM MY KIDS MOM

S/C/G: 208/162/135

Height: 5' 2.5"

I think Michelle is right.

If you drink your water, eat two eggs and drink a v8 I think you should be full but if not try something else with your eggs...... mushrooms, salsa, etc.

Phase I is about breaking the bad carb attention so only carbs in veggies...... but not sure what the limits are

Hope you are doing well on it so far
Old 05-13-2004, 10:36 PM   #5  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I eat 1 egg, losts more spinach [since I don't care for eggs] and 2 slices of lean bacon [as canadian is not available] and v-8 and I am STUFFED. Plus, in like 3 hours, it's time for a snack. In the meantime, water-it when you feel a hunger pain. Most of the time, it's just your body telling you she's dehydrated!
Old 05-14-2004, 12:30 AM   #6  
resident lactivist

As others have said, carbs are not counted on this diet. (No matter how many times the media lumps South Beach with Atkins, it is NOT a low-carb diet!)

Please keep in mind, you certainly don't have to go by the meal plan in the book. The Phase One menus are very low-calorie. Too low for me, I know! My breakfast is usually a 3-egg omelette (keep in mind, I'm sharing with a 2-year-old!) with cheese, onions, bell pepper, & mushrooms, sometimes also broccoli, and 2 slices of turkey bacon (since I think Canadian bacon is nasty ) That's filling.

What you need to do is, take your two eggs and a quarter-cup of cheese, and then pile on the veggies. Onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, peppers. Even stuff you normally wouldn't think of, like zucchini or broccoli or even artichoke hearts. I've discovered a taste for veggies that in the past I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole. I used to hate bell peppers (still can't stand the green ones) and now I cut up orange or yellow bell pepper into my omelette every morning. You can always put some salsa on top to flavor it!

Another thing...Buy some fat free ("vegetarian") refried beans, and take a little shredded cheese & melt on top, or put some salsa on there. Most of the country is conditioned to think of refried beans as a dinner dish, but I'm from Texas, so I know they go with breakfast too. You'd be surprised how beans can fill you up.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:51 AM   #7  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

beans? I might try that for tomorrow -- is it with the egg or instead of?
Old 05-14-2004, 01:51 PM   #8  

Height: 5'-2"

My DH often makes me a two-egg omelet in the morning and fills it chock full of mushrooms, onion, red pepper, etc. It's an easy way to get in some veggies, and it's filling!
Old 05-14-2004, 03:39 PM   #9  
Hittin' the Beach

S/C/G: 225/212/130

Height: 5'0"

Don't worry, the first few days I was sooo hungry. The two eggs and some V8 AND some bacon did not fill me. I am a big eater but it does calm down. Even today on my third day it is better than the others. I am not as hungry.

If you were on Atkins before you are probably baffled that you don't have to count carbs on this plan. But the great thing is that you don't!! As long as you follow the principles outlined in the book, you will do great!

I have lost 5 lbs since I started 3 days ago. That's more than on Atkins. I got some advice to just eat when you are hungry for the first few days and eventually your body will let you know when you are full.

Good luck with everything and remember to eat your snacks and drink your water!!
Old 05-15-2004, 12:47 AM   #10  
resident lactivist

With the eggs, jenne. Try without first, and if you're still hungry, add some beans the next day. It's a lot easier to start small & build up.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:23 PM   #11  
Jersey Girl

Thanks to everyone for replying. I do appreciate your support!
Old 05-17-2004, 03:55 AM   #12  

I remember being hungry all the time in the first week but this settled down and now I don't get hungry but still eat my meals and snacks. It is important to drink your water and eat loads of vegies too.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:42 AM   #13  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

I used to always be hungry! Now I am not as hungry as I used to be, or perhaps it is that I have an easier time squelching those fake hunger pains (really because I am bored or anxious). I am amazed at how much better I am eating and yet I am full! I think that everyone here is giving you just the right advice...try to fill up on veggies as much as you can to stave off cravings! You'll be amazed at how much that helps!

Personally, I hate eggs, so for breakfast on Phase 1 I had cottage cheese with cucumbers and tomatoes and some salt plus the V-8. In the past, I had two envelopes of instant oatmeal and a huge bagel with real cream cheese and was hungry an hour later. Yet I am too full from breakfast to eat my snack before lunch on most days. Go figure!
Closed Thread