South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 06:13 AM   #1  

Default Menstrual Question

OK, we talk about gaining weight around the time we have our period, but I am wondering about this. I used to gain weight in the week before my period. But now I seem to be heavier actually during my period. Now that could be the excess chocolate consumption (which is of course linked). But what are other people's experiences of this?

Since getting the blimmin scales in to the house I am obsessed by weight (this always happens to me) and I would like to rationalise some of the fluctuations a bit more fully.

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:36 AM   #2  

I started today and so far there is a two pound gain from yesterday. (I personally always see the scales go up and then afterwards they drop off. And I know my breasts feel like they weigh alot more during that time! lol) I have been eating the same amount of calories this past week w/ my normal amt of exercise so I'm very confident its from starting my period as usual. As long as I dont go totally crazy this week (already feeling the cravings coming on) then when I weigh in next Monday I should see it go back down and hopefully drop an extra pound!
Old 03-15-2004, 07:17 AM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Clovey, I've noticed that I'm heavier DURING my period now, too. I don't know if it has anything to do with the "Big Change". I'm in perimenopause, and I have NO idea what's going on with my body. Other than that I regularly have terrible night sweats. (and WHY I'm not losing weight from all that sweating is beyond me. It's like I've run a marathon during the night.)
I just console myself with the fact that the weight will go down again once my period has finished.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:21 AM   #4  

Clovey: I'm going thru this too. I thought what the heck is going on! So I'm not a looney bird for thinking this after all.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:40 PM   #5  

I just started periods again after not having one for 5 years thanks to the Depo-provera shot. I've had them the last 3 months now. I finally know why everyone always complains about it! I feel bloated and swollen and huge for the week before it all the way through to the last day of it.

I refuse to weigh during those 2 weeks because I know it will depress and discourage me. I'm usually happy when I finally weigh myself because I'm usually down a little bit.

Does anyone else find it hard to get off the couch during that time? I always talk myself out of exercising at all.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:39 PM   #6  
Professional dieter

S/C/G: 250/232/130

Height: 5'3"

I am totally lazy during my TOM. I also don't want to get off the couch!
Old 03-16-2004, 04:23 AM   #7  

So, some of us have two weeks of raised weight, and some have it just DURING their period? I am sure that it is one of those changing as I get older things....
Old 03-16-2004, 09:11 AM   #8  
kpw

There's a huge and contentious thread on the 'official' SBD site not only about heavier ..'s, but early ones (I experienced my period coming 4 days early the first week, and I'm on the pill! Reminded me of junior high school being that unprepared). There has been no word from Dr. Agagston , but one of the nutritionists mentioned it was normal for women to experience this when rapid weight loss occurs (other people mentioned experiencing this on Atkins, for example). There's a lot of back and forth with some people saying 'stop freaking out, it's normal' and others demanding answers from the good Dr.

I'll keep this site posted if any conclusive information gets posted.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:05 AM   #9  
A Lily from my yard!

For me the past 2 months I have started on a Mon. which is weigh in day and have lost. The week before I have stayed the same. My TOM has been alot easier since bein on the beach. Not as much cramping and such. But now I have noticed that it goes longer. which I could do without.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:23 PM   #10  

I gain weight the week before my period, and hold on to it until two days after my cycle has stopped. What's funny is that I started SBD during the week before my cycle, so I didn't lose any weight; therefore, it might not matter what you eat. We just gain weight around that time.

Lanis
Closed Thread