South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 09:58 PM   #1  
sam

Default Vegetable Help

Dh is following the SB with me and I am having a hard time on what to feed him. He is a carrot & corn type of person, he will eat stir frys, but nothing with "green" in it other then green peppers & celery. I am finding it very hard to do any vegetables for him. Me on the other hand will eat anything except mushrooms and peas. Another problem is fish, we are not big fish eaters, mind you I will try anything.

If this isn't the right place to post this, feel free to move it.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:40 AM   #2  

Sandy - There are the ones that keep us going.

Broccoli w/cheese
Aspargus
Roasted tomatoes - I think the recipe is in the book.
Mushrooms - quartered and cooked with some fat free beef stock and seasonings.
--> Similarly I make a FF beef stock 'soup' with 1/2 diced onion and sliced mushrooms. I have 1/3 C of low fat mozzarella and pretend it's real french onion.

Stuffed Zuccini (Scoop out the center and bake in cottage cheese)
Artichokes, Roasted Tomatoes, and one fresh mozzarella ball. (Excellent heated for lunch).
I stuff chicken with spinach and cottage cheese.

Also - I love brussel sprouts. But I know many people hate them.

We don't each much fish - but I love crab. It's expensive - but we have king crab once a month.

Personally I don't know what we would do without chicken.

Also - we take pork and chop into one inch cubes and saute it. Then we put on Frank's hot sauce (vinegar base w/no sugar) and have a pork greek salad.

Plus never underestimate the power of a great salad with a boiled egg.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:00 PM   #3  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

How about yellow beans, cauliflower, raw tomato salads with feta cheese or lf mozarella slices on top?

If DH is on this plan to be a help to you maybe you can make a small amount of carrots or corn and make yourself a "legal" vegetable.

On fish night I bake my fish in the oven and pan fry my DH's fish after it has been dipped in a little low fat milk and whole wheat breadcrumbs - it is the only way he will eat it - I figure that it may not be completely OP for him but at least he is eating the darned fish now
Old 03-03-2004, 05:31 PM   #4  

I really like the SBD's recipe for faux mashed potatoes using califlower. It is quite good, although I find I need to put it in the food processor to really obtain the creamy texture. The problem is cauflilower is so expensive right now. I have trouble paying $3.50 a head!
Old 03-03-2004, 06:51 PM   #5  

Purple sprouting brocolli is wonderful and just coming in to season (at least it is here). It is really good with hollandaise, and there is a recipe in the sbd book for mock hollandaise which is quite good.

Cabbage is nice with either bacon (choose lean to stay op) or caraway seeds. What I do with cabbage is shred it, steam it lightly and then toss it in the caraway seeds. Or the bacon recipe (you need to decide whether you will have bacon and if you can find a good lean cut) is that you stir fry a clove of garlic and about a tablespoon of fresh rosemary in a tiny bit of olive oil, then add the bacon and cook it up until it smells lovely, then add a shredded cabbage and about a quarter of a pint of liquid, I use veg stock or sometimes a glass of wine plus some stock. Put the lid on and let it cook for 15 mins. Divine.

I have a book called 'what can I do with all these courgettes' if anyone ever wants a courgette recipe..... (that is zuccinni to you stars and stripers).

Try mixing green veg with other interesting flavours that he does like, eg if he likes lemon, find recipes for brocolli with lemon (I used to do one with lemon and pine nuts until I decided it was weird and so stopped), or if he likes garlic learn those recipes (I saw something the other day that was basically green beans in a garlicky toss (dont mean to be rude......).

I also used to have a recipe for brussels sprouts in red wine.......that was something like, quarter the sprouts (takes forever, worse than peelling mushrooms), and then stir fry them with some garlic and some black olives, and then add a couple of glasses of red wine, bubble off the alcohol and cook for about 15 mins. Lovely.

Do you have kids? If so make him design the recipes and menus for the kids for two months, on strict nutritional guidelines. That will make him realise greens are good for him.

Also, do you have outside space? If so, grow some veg! Now is the time to start and no one can resist a plate of home grown, just picked runner beans..........true ambrosia.

xxx
Closed Thread