South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 05:29 PM   #1  
Fighter

Question Edy's No Sugar Added Ice Cream?

Hey girls... I have a question. In the South Beach Diet book, it says in the Phase II section to avoid ice cream. My DH just bought me some of this Edy's no sugar added ice cream, it has 3g sugar per serving, 100 calories per serving, and something like 5 grams of fat. It has that maltitol(sp?) and other artificial sweeteners, and skim milk. Is it alright? Oh, and where did you all get the 75 calorie limit for sweets? I don't remember reading that in the book. Thanks!
Old 10-02-2003, 07:44 PM   #2  

Good question Harmony Breeze. I would love to be eating too that if it's ok. And along with that, if someone here can explain the total sugar thing, I think it would be extremely helpful to all of us. My sister (who is not doing SBD and has diabetes) said that you have to watch the sugar alcohols in products along with the natural sugars. She says she adds all the sugars for a total and tries to stay as low as possible. I've been looking at labels more closely since she told me that and some products still add up to A LOT of sugar.
So if there are any knowledgable folks out there on this subject, please let us know.
Old 10-03-2003, 05:22 AM   #3  
Mous

Eat any sugar alcohol lately?

If you've looked lately at the “Nutrition Facts” panel on a pack of sugar-free gum or candy, you might be surprised to see that it contains “sugar alcohol.” Don't let the name fool you. These ingredients were given this consumer-friendly name because part of their structure resembles sugar and part is similar to alcohol. Sugar alcohols do not contain ethanol, which is found in alcoholic beverages.

What is sugar alcohol?
Sugar alcohols, also know as polyols, are ingredients used as sweeteners and bulking agents. They occur naturally in foods and come from plant products such as fruits and berries. As a sugar substitute, they provide fewer calories (about a half to one-third less calories) than regular sugar. This is because they are converted to glucose more slowly, require little or no insulin to be metabolized and don't cause sudden increases in blood sugar. This makes them popular among individuals with diabetes; however, their use is becoming more common by just about everyone. You may be consuming them and not even know it.

Identifying them
Common sugar alcohols are mannitol, sorbitol, xylitol, lactitol, isomalt, maltitol and hydrogenated starch hydrolysates (HSH). Sugar alcohols are not commonly used in home food preparation, but are found in many processed foods. Food products labeled “sugar-free,” including hard candies, cookies, chewing gums, soft drinks and throat lozenges often consist of sugar alcohols. They are frequently used in toothpaste and mouthwash too.

Check carbohydrates
So why are sugar alcohols used so often? For one thing, they help to provide the sweet flavor to food in many products marketed towards individuals with diabetes. But, beware! There is often the misconception that all sugar alcohol-containing products are “free foods.” Some of these products may still contain significant amounts of carbohydrates. It's important to check the food label for the total carbohydrate contained in the product and talk with a registered dietitian to determine how it will best fit into your meal plan.

If a manufacturer uses the term “sugar free” or “no added sugar,” they must list the grams of sugar alcohols. If more than one sugar alcohol is used in a product, the “Nutrition Facts” panel will list the amount of sugar alcohol it contains under the total carbohydrate. If just one sugar alcohol is used, the label will list its specific name, for example, “mannitol” or “hydrogenated starch hydrolysates.”

Pros and cons of sugar alcohols
On the positive side, sugar alcohols contain less calories (1.5 - 3 calories per gram) than sugar (4 calories per gram), and they do not cause tooth decay like sugar does. Therefore, many “sugar-free” gums including Trident® and Extra® are made with sugar alcohols. Sugar alcohols also add texture to foods, retain moisture better and prevent foods from browning when they are heated.

Unfortunately, there are some negatives associated with sugar alcohols. The most common side effect is the possibility of bloating and diarrhea when sugar alcohols are eaten in excessive amounts. There is also some evidence that sugar alcohols, much like fructose (natural fruit sugar) in fruit and fruit juice can cause a “laxative effect.” Weight gain has been seen when these products are overeaten. The American Diabetes Association claims that sugar alcohols are acceptable in a moderate amount but should not be eaten in excess. Some people with diabetes, especially Type I diabetics, have found that their blood sugars rise if sugar alcohols are eaten in uncontrolled amounts.

Sugar alcohols vs. artificial sweeteners
Sugar alcohols and artificial sweeteners, such as saccharin (Sweet & Low®) and aspartame (Equal® or Nutrasweet®), are not one and the same. One difference between the two types of sugar substitutes is that the artificial sweeteners contain zero calories whereas sugar alcohols contain about 2.6 calories per gram. Another issue is diabetes management. Artificial sweeteners do not contain carbohydrates so they do not cause blood sugar to elevate, whereas, sugar alcohols have some effect on blood sugar. Overall, both can be useful in diabetes management when used properly.

Forms of sugar alcohol
Mannitol occurs naturally in pineapples, olives, asparagus, sweet potatoes and carrots. It is extracted from seaweed for use in food manufacturing. Mannitol has 50-70 percent of the relative sweetness of sugar, which means more must be used to equal the sweetness of sugar. Mannitol lingers in the intestines for a long time and therefore often causes bloating and diarrhea.

Sorbitol is found naturally in fruits and vegetables. It is manufactured from corn syrup. Sorbitol has only 50 percent of the relative sweetness of sugar which means twice as much must be used to deliver a similar amount of sweetness to a product. It has less of a tendency to cause diarrhea compared to mannitol. It is often an ingredient in sugar-free gums and candies.

Xylitol is also called “wood sugar” and occurs naturally in straw, corncobs, fruit, vegetables, cereals, mushrooms and some cereals. Xylitol has the same relative sweetness as sugar. It is found in chewing gums.

Lactitol has about 30-40 percent of sugar's sweetening power, but its taste and solubility profile resembles sugar so it is often found in sugar-free ice cream, chocolate, hard and soft candies, baked goods, sugar-reduced preserves and chewing gums.

Isomalt is 45 - 65 percent as sweet as sugar and does not tend to lose its sweetness or break down during the heating process. Isomalt absorbs little water, so it is often used in hard candies, toffee, cough drops and lollipops.

Maltitol is 75 percent as sweet as sugar. It is used in sugar-free hard candies, chewing gum, chocolate-flavored desserts, baked goods and ice cream because it gives a creamy texture to foods.

Hydrogenated starch hydrolysates (HSH) are produced by the partial hydrolysis of corn. HSH are nutritive sweeteners that provide 40 - 90 percent of the sweetness of sugar. HSH do not crystallize and are used extensively in confections, baked goods and mouthwashes

http://www.ynhh.org/online/nutrition...r_alcohol.html

Sugar provides approximately 4.0 calories per gram. The FDA allows the use of the following caloric values:

3.0 calories per gram hydrogenated starch hydrolysates
2.6 calories per gram sorbitol
2.4 calories per gram xylitol
2.1 calories per gram maltitol
2.0 calories per gram isomalt
2.0 calories per gram lactitol
1.6 calories per gram mannitol
0.2 calories per gram erythritol
Old 10-03-2003, 09:24 AM   #4  

Marcie, thank you for all the great info. You certainly are a wealth of knowledge!
Old 10-03-2003, 11:43 AM   #5  
Member Florida Chick

Thank you Marcie for giving us the 'scoop' on sugar alcohols. Lizzie
Old 10-03-2003, 12:07 PM   #6  

Marcie, you are so resourceful and have such great information!!! I'm sorry I am still having a tough time applying all that great info to our SBD plan. Are we supposed to include the Sugar Alcohols when we look at labels? Can we have the "no sugar added" ice cream on the plan? I'm not sure what this all means in actual reality?

Sorry to be a pain. I think I need an interpreter!
hugs,
Old 10-03-2003, 12:10 PM   #7  
Fighter

Yes, thanks a bunch for that great info!
Old 10-03-2003, 02:37 PM   #8  

I eat Blue Bunny FF no-sugar-added ice cream (caramel toffee crunch). It has 90 calories, 0 fat, 24 carbs, 4 sugars and 6 sorbitol. Wouldn't the majority of the carbs be coming from lactose, the same as milk/yogurt/cheese? This is JMO, but if you still lose weight (1-2 lb/week) when you eat it, and you stick to a scoop and not the whole carton (grin), then what's it gonna hurt? I mean, there is a story in the book about the man who wouldn't give up his ice cream and still lost 50 lbs. I want to be realistic about this, and if I don't allow myself a healthier choice for a scrumptious treat, then I will fail. Know what I mean?
Old 10-03-2003, 03:21 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/166/158

Height: 5'6"

Susan - I agree with you 100%! If you are still losing at a reasonable pace, you should be OK. I just bought the Blue Bunny SF frozen treats (vanilla fudge) and WOW is that a great 60 calorie treat!
Old 10-03-2003, 03:27 PM   #10  
Fighter

I looked and looked for those Blue Bunny fudgesicles, but I couldn't find them. My grandma found some, though, so I'll have to ask her where she got them. I have SF popsicles, but they're not good for solving a chocolate craving. :-D
Old 10-03-2003, 03:30 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 195/166/158

Height: 5'6"

HarmonyBreeze - the *only* place I could find them around here is at Wal Mart. None of the other grocery stores around me carried them. I didn't think I was going to enjoy them as much as I do - they are very good and don't leave that nasty artificial sweetener after taste.
Old 10-03-2003, 03:31 PM   #12  

Harmony ~ I find all my Blue Bunny products at Wal-Mart. It's a super-center, though, maybe yours isn't?
Old 10-03-2003, 03:33 PM   #13  

Gosh, I guess we should also mention that the Blue Bunny frozen goodies are sweetened with Splenda!!!
Old 10-08-2003, 10:52 AM   #14  

We don't have a super walmart around here...only a regular one. Where else can we get this blue bunny stuff? Who makes it? I'll call to find out who sells it and post the answers...

thanks!!!
Old 10-08-2003, 10:29 PM   #15  
Member Florida Chick

Robin: Blue Bunny has a web page. And I think that if you go there you may be able to find what stores carry the product near you. I even got a money - off coupon that I could print. worth a try. I think it would just be www.bluebunny.com
or google could find it for you. Good luck. Lizzie
Closed Thread