South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 04:08 AM   #1  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Default Boot Camp Challenge Day 29-Getting the Message?

Troops, Ten Hut! All week we have talked about the mind-body connection and the role it plays in our quest to get healthier. Robin brought up a very good point...how to we internalize all this information? How do we take what we read and make it a part of our lives?

What's the fastest way to lose weight? SLOW and STEADY! I think the same can be said of making changes to your lifestyle. You sometimes hear that so and so is on a "fitness kick." To me that says this person is working out like the devil is chasing him! And that it won't last.

In order for change to be permanent:

You must be able to live with it for a very long time. If you can't eat nothing but celery sticks and scrambled eggs for at least a couple of years, don't do it now! If you can't work out 7 days a week for an hour each day for the next few years, don't start now.

It must be realistic. You aren't going to always be able to stay away from sweets and other tempations. They aren't going away, girls. So we must learn to deal with them the best we can. 3 bite rule, abstinence, planned days off planl...these are some suggestions.

It must be SMALL. This is maybe the easiest way to really make a difference in your attitudes and thoughts. Make very small changes over a long period of time. You can't expect to revamp your entire life in a couple of months. Make one small change...drink water instead of soda at lunch for a couple weeks until you feel comfortable with the change. THEN, and only then, add another SMALL change.

Quit the "all or nothing" club. You know the one I'm talking about. Say you go really off plan when you go out to dinner. So, even though you are full to the gills when the desert menu comes, your saboteur says "Go ahead, you've already blown it!" Then the next morning at work there are sweet rolls, and your saboteur whispers "What the heck...I'll get back on track tomorrow." But then your DH wants to order pizza for dinner...see the pattern!? So you slip. So what. Do you think a high wire walker just lets himself fall every time he loses his balance? Get yourself back to your comfort zone immediately. Don't beat yourself up, but just do it!

Don't deny yourself EVERYTHING! Say your birthday is coming up, and you know there will be tempations galore. But you decide you are going to not have a single bite of any off-plan food. Can you really, honestly live with that? Even if you make it through the actual birthday food, how are you going to feel the next day? Deprived, maybe? Like you deserved to splurge? Angry? Maybe. So PLAN to splurge, but do it within reason. Save your splurges for stuff you really want, or can't get anywhere else.

Earn an Oscar! Sometimes I have to PRETEND that I am a thin person...that working out is as natural as breathing, that I'm really not tempted by the plate of cookies sitting 3 feet away from me at work! Kind of like smiling when you really, really don't feel like it..it does seem to help.

Anyone else have any good advice for Robin on how to take all the words and ideas and incorporate them into your life?

Group Activity for Week of 9/21-1139

I think some of you forgot to post your activity?

Thanks so much for the really kind and supportive words you had about my "then" and "now" pics. Posting them was a really hard thing to do...not exactly flattering.

lmaxin-WTG on 8 pounds! You should still take some pics...'cuz I'll bet you will love to see the changes as you go!

Ellis-Okay, you can have your pistachios! But only if I can have my 12 grain bread with peanut butter on it! About twice a week I just feel the need!

Sharon-major, MAJOR NSV! I have to drive right by a Krispy Kreme on the way home, and that is hard enough! Of course, working at the police station it seems there are donuts around here far to often!

Private Robin! Welcome to the squadron! Your questions pose an interesting challenge to the sarge and the more experienced soldiers here...we'll see what we can come up with!

Tricia-Buffets are the devil's handiwork! Right along with Krispy Kreme shops!

Ruth-What a SHOCKING find! I still laugh just to think about your poor pedometer!

Lizzie-busy busy Lizzie! you must be in a tizzy!

2dog-20 minutes is a LOT better than nothing, and don't you ever forget it, Private!

Gotta run...my lunch break is here so time to go work out!
Old 09-25-2003, 06:32 AM   #2  

Good Morning ...

Didn't get to post yesterday ... activity 45 minutes a.m. on the treadmill, evening 20 minutes stairmaster. 30 minutes recumbant bike and 30 minutes weights.

Gotta fly ... have a nice afternoon everyone!!!
Old 09-25-2003, 08:45 AM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

No activity yesterday!
However, I did a lot of yard/house work, and I did NOT have a nap! I'm very proud of myself.

Yesterday I was looking at one of my decorating books... Style Solutions by Anne Mckevvit. She's such a geeky babe. Looking at the photos of her throughout the book actually inspired me NOT to cheat yesterday! Maybe I'd better hang some pics of her on the wall.

Franny, I like your, "earn an Oscar". I sometimes do the same thing. It's easy for me to do in public. I can become "all superior and snooty", and turn up my nose at food. If only I could do the same thing at home when I'm alone.

Nikki, you exercise demon, you!!

Have a great day, darlings!
Old 09-25-2003, 09:15 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Whaddayamean "poor" pedometer! There are people who would consider it a privilege to be in my undies! LMAO!
It's pouring rain so there may not be a walk for the Girls this morning. However, I have finally unpacked the Body Flex I bought on eBay and may get it started today. I'll report in later, Ma'am. (Or do we have to call you Sir?)
Old 09-25-2003, 09:54 AM   #5  

Hi! How and where do I post my activity? What counts? What is the "group activity?" Is that minutes? Sorry for not understanding what is prolly quite obvious...I also can't find things when they're right in front of me sometimes!

Robin
Old 09-25-2003, 11:45 AM   #6  
Member Florida Chick

Pvt. Lizzie actually reporting in the a.m.

Sgt. Franny: I think you really said it all. Expecially the 'slow and steady.' Too often we want the quick fix for something that is going to become a permanent way of life. And we don't want to wait for it. We live in an instant gratification world. Just watch t.v and it reminds us everyday.

Your photo gallery was a wonderful inspiration to all of us. And you should be very pleased with all of your accomplishments. A neat figure there in photo 4. Big change and must be satisfying to you to know you have done this. You are resculpting your body from the inside out, and that is really the best and only way to go.

Tried your veggie hash and eggs this a.m. We both like this. It has been hard to find things my DH likes too.

30 minute walk this a.m.

Have a good day all. Lizzie
Old 09-25-2003, 03:01 PM   #7  
Enthusiasm is contagious

Private Deets reporting in, Sarge!

First off, my exercise report.......40 minutes of brisk walking, and 15 minutes of weights.......10 minutes of abs. OK that does it for today.

Robin......just jump right in, honey, and tell Sarge Franny what you did for exercise for each day. She (because she is amazing) always tallies them up for us and posts them on a daily basis. We always love having new recruits.

Franny.......thank you for being such an inspiration to all of us. It took such courage to post your photos. You are awesome!
You are so right when you say we should take things slowly. You know....Slow and steady wins the race! We should remember we should be in this for the long haul.....not short term. In order to get where we want to get, we must continue doing what we are doing....that is to say making this WOL just what it is....a way of life for a lifetime! Oh my, have I rambled on too much!!!!!

Nikki.....you put me to shame!

Ellis.....yard work does count!!!

Lizzie.....you're right! Instant gratification does not last very long!
Keep movin' Beach Buddies!!!!
~Sharon
Old 09-25-2003, 04:18 PM   #8  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

OK - reporting in to slipper camp. The rain cleared off and I walked the Girls for a whole hour to the end of the road down by the Lake. It was darn cold too but they were wearing their furs so were OK. I did not wear the pedometer - it's still in shock - but it was an hour of fairly brisk walking.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:34 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/166/158

Height: 5'6"

Checking in for the day...

60 minute step/mix conditioning class!

Keep up all the good work, ladies!
Old 09-25-2003, 10:17 PM   #10  

ok ! Private Robin reporting in for activity today !

1 hour "Kardio-Kickboxing" includes stretching, and too many sit-ups (2 sets of 50!!!) I did crunches...I'm not ready for big time!
... Can't find my ab muscles! I think 2 fibroid surgery, 2 mid-term miscarriages and 2 c-sections and way to much weight made them dissolve...or maybe the drs. removed them...? Can't seem to be able to do many push-ups either but can't think of an excuse yet!

Sat like a SLUG (See Ruth, you're always in my thoughts!) yesterday...barely had enough energy to eat but somehow managed that without too much trouble.

Maybe I should try putting a pedometer in my undies!! It sounds kinda fun! For me it might take a cattleprod though!

Wow Frannie-Sir-Ma'am!!! Your pictures are truly an inspiration! Thanks so much for sharing!!! You are brave, bright, eloquent and gorgeous!!! You have a lucky (and handsome) DH too!!!

"See" ya for coffee! Are the syrups better than the Coffeemate ff hazelnut creamer?

Robin

Last edited by J&LMOM; 09-25-2003 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:56 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruthxxx
The rain cleared off and I walked the Girls for a whole hour to the end of the road down by the Lake. It was darn cold too but they were wearing their furs so were OK.
Don't you just LOVE petting your dogs when they come in from outside? I do, mine anyway: the fur is so cool, and underneath, their bodies are still warm.

My doggie is my baby, I love her so much! (With no kids and no husband, she gets all my love )

Tricia
Closed Thread