South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 07:59 AM   #1  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Default Boot Camp Physical Fitness-Day 20

Good morning, troops!

Today we will be working on excuse busting. What gets in the way in your life? And how to overcome those obstacles hopefully.

Did you know that over 50% of people who start a physical fitness routine QUIT within 6 months? And the numbers of people who don't get ANY exercise are staggering: 60% of adult American's aren't getting regular exercise, and 25% aren't getting ANY at all. So how do we make sure we aren't part of that dismal statistic? Bust the excuses.

1. No time? Unless your schedule is crammed full of activity from the moment you get out of bed until the minute your head hits the pillow (TV, gabbing on the phone, and the computer don't count!), this one doesn't really hold water. So....

...get up earlier.

...use the treadmill when watching TV

...break it up...you don't have to get all your exercise at once....3 ten minute sessions are as effective as 1 30 minute session!

2. Exercise is boring? Combat the boredom...

...find an activity you LOVE...you may have to keep looking, but don't give up!

...mix it up...find several activities you love so you can switch around when boredom threatens to derail you!

...find a buddy if you are sick of exercising alone, join a health club if you are sick of working out at home.

...be creative! Find new and different ways to get your activitity in...think outside the box!

3. Too tired to exercise? Think again. You're too tired because you don't exercise! So...

...start small....just a short walk everyday will do wonders for your energy level.

...make exercise nonegotiable...like eating, showering, brushing your teeth...we do those things when we are tired, why not exercise?

So, what's holding you back? Why is getting the exercise your body needs such a challenge? The forum is open, so let's hear it, recruits!

Sarge is off to bust a few excuses herself! And trust me, I could come up with plenty today. But I am going to take my own advice and JUST DO IT! I know it will help me feel better!

Group Activity for the Week of 9/14: 315 minutes of our 1500 minute goal!
Old 09-16-2003, 08:07 AM   #2  
Imagine...

Franny you are so very wise my only reason not to exercise is just a plain old excuse. I NEVER want to exercise but once I do I feel so much better. I think I read it takes 21 days to make or break a habit. I will try my best to make exercise a good habit.

Yesterday exercise took the form of going up & down the stairs about 1000 times. (everyone has the flu) Today will probably be more of the same.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:42 AM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Sflake, does your sister have the flu, too! You poor dear... stay well!

Franny, what I really need is a treadmill in front of my computer. Or a mouse that you control with your feet. You stand on the mouse pad and swivel your hips vigorously to make the curser move. My computer is my worst enemy. I'm sitting here, all slumped over. Haven't had a coffee yet because I'm going out for breakfast with a friend.
I know!!! I did this once before! I set my timer for 15 minutes. I get 15 minutes on the computer, then I have to go and do some work for 15 minutes! I forgot about that ploy... I'll start it again today!

I did an hour and a half of yoga last night. Tomorrow I'm going to the Y. Today? I may do some raking/sweeping. Maybe I'll get down on my hands and knees and clean the hardwood. I haven't done it all summer.

love and hugs to all...
Old 09-16-2003, 09:18 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

The Girls and I are going to walk down to the store for the paper. (30 mins) I am planning on leaving my toe behind if it doesn't cooperate! (Actually I've just drugged it on extra-strength Tylenol!)
If all goes well, we will walk again this afternoon. The plan is to go down to the park and do the tour - 3/4 of an hour.
Wish me luck....and good drugs.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:30 AM   #5  
Enthusiasm is contagious

O.K. Sarge I'm movin'!!

I've been sitting at this computer trying to get caught up for the past hour...I was absent yesterday. However, I am signing off after this to go to the gym for my hour on the treadmill and weight machines. So, thanks for the motivation!

Ellis.....I hate "floors" , too. My knees suffer for days after scrubbing on my floors. I've decided there are more important things in life!
Sflake.....I'm sending you good vibes today Stay healthy!

I'm off to exercise. Have a great day, all....
~Sharon
P.S.
Ruth....I love the Biographies Sticky!!!! Thank you!
Old 09-16-2003, 10:45 AM   #6  
Caden's Mommy

Height: 5'7

Did my 20 minutes of yoga/pilates last night while watching Everybody loves Raymond last night. I plan to do some cardio tonight after work and tomorrow night i have a double header in softball

been staying OP, too...

funny how a few dark days (eating-wise) suddenly wakes you up and your eye is on the prize again...

maybe it's because I'm about to break into the 160's, i don't know - i'm very focused lately...

keep up the good work, gals!

Old 09-16-2003, 11:34 AM   #7  
Member Florida Chick

Private Lizzie reporting

I sort of think that the word 'exercise' gets a bad rap. If we move for better health, then we can decide what sort of movement we are going to do. Or we can build muscle for better fitness. Line dancing is a very good cardiovascular type of movement. Or bike riding, even walking, just to name a few. But somehow the E word brings up thoughts of aches and sore muscles, and boring repetition. I have made up my mind that I will move, as much as I can, walking, dancing, biking, swimming. And not even think of the dreaded word.

This morning we have walked for 40 min. Plan to do the bike later in the day and that will probably be 40 minutes also. DH wanted to only walk one mile this a.m. but I got after him and we did the circuit. Can't let him get lax. :

Hope everyone will be 'moovin' and groovin' today. Lizzie
Old 09-16-2003, 01:13 PM   #8  

Before I moved into my house, I had to walk the dogs at least 3 times a day. Now I can just let them into the back yard. So, I have been getting less exercise

But you guys have motivated me to exercise, and a great time is before work. Where I was doing practically nothing (walking up a few flights of stairs at work on occasion), I have now exercised 4 days in the last week, for about 10 minutes. I've found an exercise tape that's fun and interesting, and I plan on investing in a few more to mix it up. Today I used my step, so I increased the intensity a little, as I'm over 45 and don't want to shock my heart too much. Oh, and I'm planning on doing some sit-ups and push-ups nightly, too.

Thanks for your encouragement! It really helps!

Tricia
Old 09-16-2003, 08:55 PM   #9  

Hi ladies,

One way to get yourself going is to promise you'll do only 10 minutes ... start doing anything physical and give it 10 minutes ... when that 10 minutes is over if you're done, that's it. But, more often than not, after 10 minutes you think "well maybe 5 more minutes" ... pretty soon you're doing half an hour or more and it doesn't feel like "exercise"; when you are finished you're mood has improved and you feel more energetic. Many people don't exercise because they are "too tired" (like my boyfriend) when the get home from work or when they wake up in the morning but they don't realize how much more energy you have when you are finished!!!

Exercise time for today Sarge ... 45 minutes on the treadmill this morning before work, at the gym tonight after work 15 minutes weights, 30 minutes elliptical trainer and 15 minutes stationary bike.

Food ... check

Water ... check

Have a nice night!!!
Old 09-16-2003, 09:37 PM   #10  
Member Florida Chick

Exercise time today: walking 45 min.
Biking 45 min.

the trinity - going fine.

Hope the jaw feels better, Sarge. Lizzie
Old 09-17-2003, 12:45 AM   #11  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Evening, troops!

Thought I would pop in and add up the activity minutes for today...you guys are doing great!

We totaled 340 minutes! Yeah! And that doesn't include:

Ruth's walking-wasn't sure your toe would cooperate!

Sharon's 60 minutes that she promised!

Tricia's minutes-I know you worked out but just need the number of minutes if you want to be included in the total! We need all the help we can get if we want to hit our goal of 1500 this week!

Emily-I got your 20 minutes to "Raymond" (hilarious episode!) but didn't include your cardio or softball (just need the times)

I am just thrilled that you are all managing to fit fitness into your busy lives!

Ellis-have you ever heard of Dance, Dance Revolution? It is an arcade game (there is a Playstation home version) where you stand on a mat that has directional arrows, you have to keep up and put the feet in the right place to the music. THAT is what we need...except it would be a great big floor MOUSE! :Now THAT would burn up some serious calories!

Ruthie-how is that naughty toe? Hopefully behaving itself!

Sharon-Scrub floors? What's that? Mop/sweep, yes...Scrub, no

Emily-Whoo Hoo...that makes 2 of us about to break into the 160's! Your stats look very similar to mine! Weird, huh?

Lizzie-you make a good point about the "bad rap" exercise gets...boring, repetitive, a chore....versus ACTIVITY...moving for fun or recreation!

Tricia-what exercise tape do you have? I LOVE the Leslie Sansone Walk Away The Pounds (WATP)! Nice for people like me who have 2 left feet!

Kathy-Great idea about telling yourself "only 10 minutes!" I need to remember that next time I want to slack off.

Okay, recruits! Day 20 is done, but Day 21 is right around the corner. Actually, it has already started! So tune in tomorrow, same bat station, same bat channel.....
Old 09-17-2003, 11:34 AM   #12  

My tape is a few years old: Keli Roberts Ultimate Step Workout. I was introduced to her on my first Cher Fitness video, but that one is kind of boring.

Saturday, I exercised 10 minutes. Tuesday I exercised 12 minutes. My ankles are a little sore, so I'm taking a break today. Plan on doing my video again tomorrow morning.

Franniemae, how do you "walk" to a videotape? (Pardon me, I'm uninformed, please enlighten . . .)

Tricia
Closed Thread