South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 04:43 AM   #1  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Default Think Thin Challenge-Day 13

Good morning, recruits! Are you up to the challenge today?

Sflake, hurry up and mend, private! And that’s an order!
You guys had some great observations yesterday, and they tie in perfectly with what I would like to talk about today, which is just how do thin people deal with food?

Deets said she can’t “eat just one” for fear of eating “the whole thing.” Nikki has a hard time dealing with wanting, versus needing, to eat something. I think thin people have some of the same worries and concerns but have developed strategies for dealing with them.

Quit the “All or Nothing Club” - you know the one that says “well, I ate that cookie so I might as well have the whole bag since I blew it anyway!” Prevention Mag has a great article about indulging without guilt, and how THIN people do it. Here are a couple examples:

Follow the 80/20 plan-(or maybe 90/10 or even 95/5 when you are trying to lose?) Stay on plan 90% of the time, and the other 10% you can goof around.

Fit in special treats-make allowances for the occasional treat, but make sure you define “occasionally!” Set your parameters...figure out what works best for you.

Plan your indulgences-You won’t feel so deprived if you know that you are allowing yourself a spurge at a later date.

Make it about substitution, not ADDITION! - You can’t add a slice of cake to your diet and not see the consequences. But you may be able to have the cake INSTEAD of something else!

Timing is everything-Enjoy your treats AFTER a healthy meal...it won’t take much to really satisfy a sweettooth when your physical hunger has already been dealt with.

Don’t waste your splurges-Go for the best...the best quality you can get! One small, exquisite piece of Godiva instead of an entire Hersey bar! And SAVOR the FLAVOR!

Treadmill redemption-Plan ahead...you know a splurge is scheduled, so schedule an extra session of exercise or up your time for a couple days.

Portion control- Buy single serving portions or only have your favorite when you eat out. Make is something you have to DRIVE to!

Read the article if you get the chance. It kind of helps dispel a couple of myths about thin folks!

My observation about Thin Thinking? People who don't have a weight problem go though life more deliberately. They don't just lay around and watch TV, they CHOOSE to lay around and watch TV! They don't just eat a slice of pie because it is there, they DECIDE to eat the slice of pie, after first CONSIDERING if it fits into their plan for the day or week. They seem to have developed a plan that works for them and they stick to it. An important part of the plan seems to be to include treats or "off plan days", and that enables them to be GUILT FREE!

Okay, I'll quit for now or Ellis will kill me! For today, just give this topic some real thought-how can we eliminate guilt from our relationships with food? And don't forget the trinity!

Day 12 Activity: 3 mi WATP & lift weight-70 minutes

GROUP ACTIVITY FOR DAY 11-365!
Old 09-09-2003, 08:44 AM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Is there a smilie available with a dagger?
I'm going to have to print that off and read it while I'm in the bathroom, Franny.

First accomplishment of the day... instead of finishing off my children's cereal, I threw it out and ate some leftover lamb from last night's dinner. Didn't eat the rice. It was a **** of a battle, believe me.

Oh... exercise... last night I did an hour and a half of yoga.

Franny, you must have enormous muscles.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:02 AM   #3  
Enthusiasm is contagious

Oh-h-h-h, Franny!! I love what you wrote today!

Just the material I needed to start me off in the right direction!

I'm off to the gym in a few minutes for some weights, and then Water Aerobics for an hour.....but the rest of the day is the clincher. I am in charge of the dessert for a women's meeting today, and they asked if I would make my "Peach Upside-down cake." Last night as I baked it, the whole house smelled wonderful. I'm serving it at 1:00 today with whipped cream. I would like group thoughts from everyone so that I can employ the "3 Bite " effort. OK????????

Stay focused, and in control! Talk later....
~Sharon
Old 09-09-2003, 11:55 AM   #4  

I would suggest letting other people get their portions first, perhaps talking with a friend to distract yourself. Then, find an awesome, skinny slice to cut for your self. Then slowly eat bite 1 . . . . then bite 2 and savor . . . bite 3 (if you need it) . . . then throw your plate away.

Good luck, Sharon!

Tricia
Old 09-09-2003, 12:02 PM   #5  

Oh, I forgot to tell about where I am. Two weeks ago, I was craving pancakes, and I indulged and felt guilty. Then, 2 days later, my TOTM came (a week early), which explained my cravings and irritability

So, I did pretty good during the week, but the weekend came: cravings again! And I indulged worse this time!

But today: I exercised this morning, and so far, I've been eating on program. And drank some water!

Color me "guilt-ridden." It's sometimes hard to forgive myself.

But I'm so glad you guys are here!

Tricia
Old 09-09-2003, 03:51 PM   #6  

Height: 5'-2"

Where the heck IS everyone!?
Old 09-09-2003, 04:35 PM   #7  
Captain of MY Destiny!

I think I have scared everyone off!

Ellis, I couldn't figure out why you think I have enormous muscles! The 70 minutes was TOTAL for cardio & weights...I have little wimpy muscles (except my jawbone muscles 'cuz they get an awesome workout every single day!) but they are finally starting to at least show a bit! WTG with skipping the cereal and opting for the lamb. Those temptations can be so hard!

Deets- well? How did it go? Did you and the 3 bite rule RULE? I honestly think planning ahead is the best defense!

Lavender-maybe you need to PLAN a splurge if you are having a hard time with cravings on the weekends? Pick a small portion of something you LOVE and plan on having that....without guilt, without recriminations, but just to enjoy. It really can work! I have a box of Godiva chocolates I got for my BD 3 weeks ago, but I only have a piece when I have thought about it and really want it. I have only had 2 pieces, so it is working for me!

Okay troops, I promise a shorter post tomorrow if you will come back! Our squadron has dwindled to post cold war proportions!

I am off to work out....again. Managed 30 minutes of butt numbing time on the recumbent bike at work. Now for something a bit more fun!
Old 09-09-2003, 09:43 PM   #8  
In Control: E+R=O

I'm here, I'm here, I'm here!! Have been pretty busy, and will be for the rest of the week, so don't know how much time I'll have for posting! But I have been trying to at least get in here and read, don't want to lose track of anyone or anything!!

Franny, I love your posts!!!! You are so inspirational and motivational, I look forward to your daily challenges.

My WATP tapes came today. I did the 1 mile tape tonight, and lordy am I out of shape!! I've been doing a little walking each day, but still.....it's going to take me a while to get into shape, but I'm determined to get there, one muscle at a time!!
Old 09-09-2003, 10:57 PM   #9  
Enthusiasm is contagious

Reporting in on how things went today.

Everyone loved the cake!

Lavender....I did serve myself last, and savored each of the
3 bites ( I put a very thin piece on my plate)

I think finally that my big cravings are slowly becoming under control. Thanks, Franny for your motivational talks each day!

Talk later......
~Sharon
Closed Thread