South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 10:38 PM   #1  
Fighter

Question Questions on Mayo and Peanut Butter

I'm starting the SB diet tomorrow.... but I have a couple of questions for clarification, if anyone would be so kind as to help me out. :-D First, it says peanut butter is allowed... is Jif okay? Does it have to be reduced fat? Or do I have to use natural peanut butter like on Atkins, with like 2 inches of oil standing in the top of the jar? And as far as mayonnaise goes.... can I use Miracle Whip, or does it have to be real mayo? Does it have to be reduced fat or whatever? And finally, is cool whip allowed in Phase I? I think that's all the questions I have for now. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2003, 10:41 PM   #2  
Fighter

Oh yeah, and I was also wondering if Phase I has a carb limit, and if so, how many carbs am I allowed in Phase I?
Old 09-01-2003, 10:59 PM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Harmony, you need to use the natural (oily) peanut butter. Jiffy and the others has icing sugar in it.
Not sure about Miracle Whip... anyone else? I use Hellman's Light.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:31 AM   #4  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Dr. A says to go with mayo made from soybean oil, not Miracle Whip. I think he recommends the low fat? Anyone remember? My DH put my book away and I can't find it!

I'm not sure about the Cool Whip, either. I would check and see what kind of fat it has in it, and how much sugar. We aim for low sugar and the right kind of fat (unsaturated.)

You don't have to count carbs on SBD, so you can put away your abacus or calculator!

Good luck! Join us here on the beach and let us know how you are doing!
Old 09-02-2003, 11:11 AM   #5  
Enthusiasm is contagious

I remember reading in Dr. A's book that he suggests if you go with something LF, you should read the label because they usually replace the fats with sugars.
I'm becoming a real label detective!!

Hope this helps!
Old 09-02-2003, 12:03 PM   #6  
Work in Progress

I believe that Miracle Whip has sugars in it, that is what makes it taste so good!! I would avoid it and stick with light mayo.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:26 PM   #7  

Checked the book about peanut butter ... he says during phase I only 1 teaspoon per day (yikes) and the best is to use "natural" peanut butter ... says commercial peanut butters add saturated fat and sugar (I use reduced fat Jif which I doubt the good doctor would approve of) ...

As far as the mayo, I use Hellmans Light as well ... I don't have any Miracle Whip in the house but I'm pretty sure Rowan's right about the added sugar ... I'd stick with the mayo ...

No carb limit, so to speak, but the carbs in Phase I are mostly from veggies ...
Closed Thread