South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 155/135/126

Height: 5'6"

Default Need reassurance-when did your cravings subside?

I'm on Day 5 of P1 and still my sweet tooth rages.

Every day at 4-5pm it rears its ugly head and I struggle to keep it together.

I've come to realise that I need to add in an extra snack just before that time hits because we don't eat until around 7-8pm and I'm having my second snack at around 2pm - then feeding my toddler yummy food right when the cravings strike!

Is there any other noted tweak I can try to reduce sugar cravings or do I just have to ride it out?

And when did your cravings subside? Please, give me hope!
frankiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Could you post a couple of days' menus? Perhaps we can spot something. An extra snack would work - maybe beans?
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #3  

Thanks Ruth. Here's the last couple of days worth:

B - grilled mushrooms, tomatoes and scrambled egg
S1 - cheese cubes and cherry tomatoes
L - SBD broccoli soup, veggie "chicken" pieces and salad
S2 - veg sticks and cottage cheese
D - SBD shepherds pie, green beans, broccoli

--

B- spinach, mushroom and cheese omelette
S1 - veggie "chicken" piece lettuce rol up with dressing
L - TVP "fried rice" with spinach, peppers, courgette
S2 - ff yoghurt and 1 serving of walnuts
D - veggie "chicken" fillet with asparagus, grilled aubergine (eggplant) and courgette

I've also had a couple of sugar free boiled sweets, and come to think of it, that's when it got really hard. I wonder if I should just omit sweet tasting things all together?

Saying that, cocoa-nut mousse is all ready and waiting for tonight's dessert! It's the first dessert I've tried from the book's meal plan and it tastes sooo good!
Old 02-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #4  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

a few quick thoughts:

some people do find that sf treats trigger their cravings, sorry.

Are the ingredients SB safe on the veggie chicken? Here a lot of those have breading.

I'd also suggest adding some beans, might help with your blood sugar. Oh, and drink lots of water if you aren't already. They really will pass eventually

ETA - great job with the veggies!

Last edited by CyndiM; 02-22-2012 at 03:38 PM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #5  

Thanks Cyndi.

I do think I'm one of those helpless souls, easily enticed by sf sweets!

All the veggie meats I'm using are safe. They've no bread in them, only mycoprotein and egg white, and they're all under 6% fat.

This is my usual intake of veggies, I thought I would need to increase it, but I guess I'm doing alright!

What kind of beans would you suggest? I admit, I've not really thought of adding them in any way.

After a long while being unable to fit in my 8 glasses, since I've been on SBD, I've found it pretty easy, and am actually feeling thirsty a lot of the time.

Thanks again for your responses.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #6  
Working on healthy

I'm a bean fanatic and ate them all the time when I was losing. I need to get back to that. I like refried beans with breakfast. Hummus, roasted chickpeas and lentil crunchies are all good snacks. In cold weather I make bean soups in the crockpot, in warm weather I usually have a bean salad in the fridge. Beans add healthy carb, lots of fiber and nutrients, and extra protein. We have some great bean recipes here.

I love the variety of veggies you use. Yum!
Old 02-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #7  

They all sound yummy! I will certainly check them out.

We recently discovered my toddler has a significant allergy to most beans and legumes, so I've not had anything of the sort for a while and guess I just didn't even consider them when browsing the recipe threads.

I'll need to be careful but I think I've got used to the level of care and hygiene needed now as she has many other food allergies, some pretty significant (egg, peanut, sesame), others just annoying (wheat, spinach, parsley). We all gave up peanuts and sesame, but as vegetarians, found it hard to give up egg, so I try to only make them when I have the space and time to be careful and wipe down thoroughly.

ETA: just had the cocoa-nut mousse and it was far too rich for me to finish! I think this means progress!

Last edited by frankiki; 02-22-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 188/188/135

Height: 5'8"

I've just begun the SB diet and have tried hummus on celery for an afternoon snack. It seems to be very filling, and I think it's "legal," but maybe not in Phase 1. Back to the book . . .
Pacificann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #9  
Working on healthy

hummus is allowed in every phase but it is a portion limited food because of the tahini. I have small containers that I portion mine into because I can easily eat half the container if I'm not careful.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #10  

I've been doing that with my oil too.

I use myfitnesspal food log and when the analysis for the first day of SBD said almost 60% of my calories were coming from fat, I just freaked out!

I realised I had not been rigid with the limit on oil, I'd just added as much as I thought necessary to cook and had several oily recipes that day.

I'll pick up some hummus tomorrow
Old 02-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 69kg/65/60

Height: 5ft

I still get cravings for sweet things and it's been five weeks. The only thing that works for me is having sweet snacks on hand that I know will fit into my diet/calories/points. At first when I began the diet, I ate coloured popcorn - sweet and filling at the same time. Now I end my meal every night with something sweet, a WW ice cream, a muffin, a little bit of cake (depending on how many points I have left). This has been the only thing that has saved me from bingeing big time. Other than that, cut out all the sweets completely - but this only worked for a couple of weeks with me and then I ended up bingeing.
happybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:51 PM   #12  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybug View Post
Now I end my meal every night with something sweet, a WW ice cream, a muffin, a little bit of cake (depending on how many points I have left).
Obviously not OK on SB. Sounds like she's on WW.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:07 AM   #13  

Cake and ice cream every day certainly would help!

Unfortunately, they aren't allowed on South Beach Diet as it's specifically designed to eliminate cravings and stabilise blood sugar.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #14  

S/C/G: maintaining

Hang in there! It can take a while. But the longer you stay on plan the easier it becomes. Everyone reacts differently and also, the longer you are on the plan, you will learn what works for you. I don't have trouble with artificially sweetened things but I know many people do. I also have more than one snack most afternoons.

One thing I like sometimes is to have a sweet flavored team like Republic of Tea's coconut cocoa flavor. I put in some stevia-like sweetener and a bit of milk. Some people have great success with sweet flavored gum. BUT, I think we become adjusted and habituated to wanting sweets so maybe cutting them out, while hard a first, would be the thing that works for you.

Too bad about your toddler. I'm sure that it will be a challenge for you to figure out what you can serve.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

I find that diary really helps with my sweet cravings. A glass of milk usually does the trick for me. Or, somethign sweet but on plan- red pepper strips work too. (Strange, I know)

Or, I have an on plan sweet treat. My new favorite is no bake cheesecake- I mix ff yogurt with light cream cheese, splenda, and firm it up with gelatin. Super creamy, the right amount of sweet, and perfectly satisfying. Can't wait to top it with strawberries!
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote