South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 12-27-2011, 04:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 186/183/135

Height: 5'5"

Default help with egg cup please!

I made the egg cups that are in one of the books - eggs, mushrooms, peppers, turkey bacon baked in a muffin pan. It took FOREVER for the egg to set on top, almost twice as long as the recipe said to bake. So long that the rest of it was way over done and it is ridiculous trying to get the liner off.

What am I doing wrong? Do you think it would be okay to take it out before the top is completely set since I will be microwaving to reheat anyway? Any tips for me?
tukogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Maybe there was too much water in the mushrooms and peppers? I know that mushrooms can give off a lot of liquid at times, and that's the only thing I can think of that may have caused your problem. Next time, try sauteing your vegetables before adding them to the recipe, and that may help.

I've only made the egg cups once, and I know when I microwaved them they became rubbery, so I'm not sure if that would solve your problem or not. Hopefully, some of our other Beachers will be able to help you better than I could.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:06 PM   #3  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I usually mix it all up, then place in the pan rather than put the eggs on top. Try that maybe?
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

I don't follow a recipe per-se, I mix my meat, veg, cheese in the muffin tin and pour egg or egg substitute over them and bake for 20-ish minutes. I now use silicone muffin liners and I love them because they so easily pop right off and are re-usable!
fozentusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Whenever I make these or any baked eggs of any kind, I usually cook them in one of two ways.

1. I take them out of the oven when they're still wet on top and then cover them with foil or a cookie sheet (something to seal in the heat, so it can continue to cook outside of the oven. I usually use this method if the egg dish is too thick to use method number 2.

2. (for eggs cooked in muffin cups or in a shallow pan). I'll get the oven to temperature, put the egg dish in the oven, covered with foil, and immediately turn off the heat. The oven retains enough heat to cook the eggs with less danger of overcooking them.

Last edited by kaplods; 12-28-2011 at 01:51 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 186/183/135

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for the feedback ladies, I will try a couple of these methods and see if they come out of the pan/liner more easily.

Thanks again!
tukogirl is offline   Reply With Quote