South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 09-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #1  

Default starting south beach today

I am starting South Beach today. I have been on too many diets to even list. I am a mom with 4young kids and am tired of feeling like crap all the time. I am desperate. I have high blood pressure, thyroid issues and am borderline diabetic and I weigh close to 300 lbs. I tried South Beach before, but overall I know I am a carb addict and South Beach starts out like a diet, but ultimately is a healthy way to eat for life. I just needed support so I am coming here for that. Thanks for any advice you can offer. I am already nervous because next weekend we are going camping and I have no idea what to eat and I can't eat eggs because I am intolerant. I will check in often as I will need the accountability.
mynameismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: maintaining

And kudos to you for starting now and not waiting until after camping. I'm not a camper so have not advice for that but am sure you'll have others with great ideas. Be sure to check out the FAQ section up above for lots of helpful tips and information.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #3  
Goal: A Healthy Me

Height: 5' 6"

Welcome! There are a lot of good breakfast ideas up in the recipe threads that are easy to pack and take.
Kelly J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:01 PM   #4  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

For breakfast I would try to think outside of normal morning fare and eat something you might normally eat later in the day. I buy cans of refried FF beans or black beans & mix it with salsa & cheese for a quick & hearty meal. If you have a cooler, you could eat deli meat and cheese sticks, veggies & dip or hummus, nuts, veggie sausages, cottage cheese, etc. Good luck! It can be done.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #5  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

Welcome, and good luck!

I felt like you when I first started. I have thyroid issues (Graves disease), borderline diabetic, and weighed close to 300 lbs. I also have a child, not 4 though! Bless you for that!

One thing I can say that might help you feel better is if you follow P1 like you're supposed to those physical cravings for carbs will go away. I still have psychological cravings but I just entered into P2, so I'm hoping that will eventually diminish too. I have found a lot of support here on the SB forum as well as the other forums.

Best of luck to you!
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 177/144/145

A lot of my favorite camping meals are beach friendly. Fajitas work great ( you can marinate and then freeze the meat and prechop lots of veg) with extra veggies and no tortillas. Hummus or salsa with veggies for dipping. Turkey dogs or ff hot dogs, while not ideal, are okay every once a while and very campy. I used to make a chicken and vegetable soup in my dutch oven.

It's great to start phase one in a "life happens" kind of week. It teaches you right off the bat to find a way to stay on plan in unusual situations.
Usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #7  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Welcome!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Check in here daily (when not camping!!!), stick thru the first few days of P1, and you'll do great!!

Welcome!!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #9  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

I would think camping would be SB friendly & easy. All I can think about is all the grilling that might be happening. I would seriously throw down some meat on the grill and get some fresh veggies to put on the grill as well. Maybe bring some bag salad to keep in your cooler as well as fresh vegetables to eat raw for snacking. Bring some nuts, cheese sticks, laughing cow cheese doesn't need to be refrigerated, canned veggies would even work.
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #10  
Goals are the fuel

S/C/G: 176/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Welcome and good for you! You can follow SBD no matter where you are, so don't worry about camping. Buy you'll have to do some homework and create a list of OP (on-plan) foods so you're not surrounding yourself with only smores and hot dogs

You've come to the right place for support, ideas, and accountability. 3FC and these ladies have helped me so much, I can't ever express enough gratitude.
FurnaceOfAchievement is offline   Reply With Quote