South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #16  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

What a day! Julie and I went out to look at our river, usually a lovely, shallow thing not even worth swimming in most places. The flooding was incredible, beyond anything most of us have ever seen. After a few pictures I headed back to the garden to pick tomatoes (the plant blew over) when a neighbor went running by yelling that someone down the road needed help and to call 911. Julie went in to call and I went to see if I could help. Turns out the woman had been trying to save her dog (a big dog, maybe lab mix). She tried to use a rowboat and did get the dog but then started to get pulled into the flood current and toward the bigger river. Her BF tried to grab the boat and was pinned between a small tree and the boat with the current tearing all around them. Long story short a bunch of us grabbed rope, got more rope and managed to get the end to them and tied it off on a pick-up at the edge of the water and pulled them to solid ground. Then the rescue team got there. The whole time the BF was yelling he couldn't hold on anymore. Everyone is okay now but what a scary time. What I've never fully appreciated when seeing that sort of thing on TV is just how strong the rushing water is, how deep and how treacherous the footing when it's field and woods that are flooded. Those neighbors usually live across the street and on the other side of two fields from the river. The Police were tied up with a trailer caught in the rushing water. We haven't had much wind and I hope we don't. This is more than enough storm.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Hello ladies!! Whoooopsie, we went camping and Ms. Irene arrived 12 hours early. Unfortunately, that meant while we were sleeping in a tent. We're 3 hours inland, so it wasn't bad, but YEESH, it wouldn't stop!! What was far worse was that there was a leak in our air mattress...

Brought a bowl of massaged kale, and a bowl of black bean and corn salad, so I could've eaten FAR worse.

Now, back to the real world. We've unpacked and the DH is drying out everything, while I make a menu for the week. So far, black bean soup for me!! Someone mentioned that, and I've been a bit obsessed to make some!

Hope everyone has power and is having a great weekend!
Old 08-28-2011, 06:08 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

What a frightening experience, Cyndi! I'm glad you and Julie were there to help them! How's Irene doing? Has she gotten tired yet?

The sun just came out, and Monica, Eric and the girls are on their way back to their home in New Jersey. They promised if they run into any trouble that they'll turn around and come back, but they are anxious to see how their house fared. The water is starting to recede, but many people, including my parents, are still without electricity. We are among the fortunate few that still have it.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #19  

S/C/G: maintaining

It's been a quiet weekend here. I've had the East Coast folks on my mind and hope all are doing okay. My oldest, at school in PA, had the first day of classes cancelled tomorrow due to power outages but so far his house is fine. I've been waiting all day for my youngest to let me know what happened at frat bid night last night. Trying to be patient and wait for HIM to contact me. Knee is better. I have no idea what was going on with that. Catch you all tomorrow.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:37 PM   #20  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Howdy all!

Thanks for thinking of me. Yes - we were all moved in by the time Irene hit bug time. But now the unpacking begins and travel season for me hits. Somewhat worse than Irene!!!

I have no internet access at home but will be back to work tomorrow and will be back to normal then. Hope all are safe!
Closed Thread