South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-14-2011, 12:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/149/145

Default Phase II Question

So....I technically can begin Phase II on Monday (though it frightens me..is that irrational?)

My understanding (I gave the book back to the Library) is that I can add 1 fruit and 1 serving of grains a day. Is this correct?

Also, does anyone remember if whole grain serving sizes are listed in the book? (Maybe I should just check it back out...) Just wanted to make sure that 1/2 cup of quick oats is = 1 serving.

Thanks!!
AmyKitKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:54 PM   #2  
Rebelwithacause

S/C/G: 300/249/175

Height: 6'

Amy, absolutely not! I was terrified to move from phase one to phase two. In fact I don't think I've completely moved onto phase two yet....I'm doing more of a phase 1.5. My advice is to go slow, slow, slow. Perhaps just add the one fruit a day and see how you do with that before adding anything else. I've also read that adding the fruit in the afternoon or evening at first is a good thing. I've been eating an apple in the afternoon now and have no cravings as a result. I'm sure our more knowledgeable folks will jump in here and help you. Good luck.
TallandThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #3  

Height: 5'8"

Many start with adding either a fruit or a grain for a week, and then adding the other, so each week adding either a fruit or a grain. Sort of a phase 1.5. That's what I plan to do, with the points as back up for portion control. I'm also scared, but feel like the points will help. Last time I did a good phase 1 but it all sort of fell apart as I transitioned because I didn't follow the directions in the book.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 214/210/150

Height: 5'6"

Amy- I'm in exactly the same place you are, starting P2 on Monday. My plan is to stick with mostly P1 lunches and dinners, and see how oatmeal for breakfast goes. I feel like to do really well the rest of the day, but breakfasts are just getting a bit redundant around here and I'm eager to mix those up a bit.

I'll be monitoring how that works closely tho, b/c I've lost about 10lb in P1 and while I know the weight loss will slow down, there is no way I want the scale to start moving back in the wrong direction...
Lily In Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:08 AM   #5  
Mous

Joining you on Monday too and with the same feelings.

Together we can and will be okay.
LADY WINDSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:19 AM   #6  
Mous

Smile

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbd-...ml#post1390480

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbd-...phase-2-a.html

So glad that this is here.
LADY WINDSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:56 AM   #7  
Mini-goal: 260

S/C/G: 325/ticker/154

Like TallandThin, my husband and I are on phase 1.5. Most meals, most days, are phase 1 appropriate, but we add in a bit of phase 2 stuff here and there.

Full on phase 2 still scares me after two months.
annieoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 187/180/170

I'm also wrapping up P1 tomorrow ready to move on to P2 Monday but I've been sort of cheating in the sense that I've always been eating fruit (just 1) about every other day.

I will probably continue what I'm doing but adding possibly a serving of pasta for dinner on the other alternate days, or maybe cereal for breakfast as the eggs do get redundant and the ricotta cheese just doesn't feel like enough.

It truly is a change of diet and P1 is my security blanket!
otowngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:56 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 170/149/145

Thank you all so much for the suggestions and support!!
LADY WINDSONG - thanks for the links, I read through them and will be following!!

I'm thinking that I'll start by adding in oatmeal every other day and see how that goes, maybe berries with my cottage cheese on the off days. At least it's a plan!

I didn't get a chance to weigh in yesterday, so I'll see if I'm down at all. If not it will be a 6 pound loss for Phase I....if I stall out, I'll just go back
AmyKitKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 237/212.6/140

I started Phase 2 a week ago. I have gone very slowly. I have found my carb cravings are still there if I eat carbs. I actually only had carbs 2/7 days. I am going to take my time. I do not want to back track. My problem with fruit right now, is it just isn't fruit season. I guess I need to go get some frozen.
tanner'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #11  
Rebelwithacause

S/C/G: 300/249/175

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner'smom View Post
My problem with fruit right now, is it just isn't fruit season. I guess I need to go get some frozen.
You should be able to get good apples. I usually have an apple along with some string cheese (softened in the microwave) and have had no cravings.
TallandThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 192/150.5/135

Height: 5 feet, 4 inches

I am so glad that I am not the only one. I have been in an only slightly modified P1 (P 1.5?) since September 7. I am just too scared. I have had a day off here or there, but I didn't go crazy on those days.

And honestly, I just don't want that kind of stuff like I used to, which feels amazing!
Randi34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #13  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I have discovered that I'm so sensitive to grains I will almost never do more than 1.5. I have very rare Phase 2 days, usually special occasions - away from home a lot or other circumstance that makes normal meals impossible. I'm lucky with fruit though and eat just about as much as I want. Keep testing slowly and figure out your own personal best combination.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:26 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 161/156/<130

Height: 5"4"

I'm a lot like you Cyndi. I could never start my day with oatmeal. I'd be hungry before I finished the bowl. I think each of us vary in our sensitivities towards carbs. Most of here have dieted our whole lives so we ought to know what personally works best for our own body.

AmyKit Kat: I would take it slow and see how my body reacted. Personally, I've done SB before (and lost 40 pounds-but got it back) and when I was on phase II I still was very strick on carbs. I never ate pasta or bread and I only ate cereal a couple times a week.

I will do the same this time, but can't wait for a bowl of Kashi Go Lean cereal! Have you guys tried it? It has "as much protein as an egg" (quoting the commercial).
plusmince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:30 PM   #15  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

The one way I can start with oatmeal is to mix a half serving of whole oats, 1 T of chia, lots of pumpkin and 6 oz of ff Greek yogurt. The protein in the yogurt makes a difference for me. I also end up with a huge bowl of food which makes me happy some days
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote