Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 09:44 AM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Talking How to Add New Things Slowly in P2!

A lot of people are scared to add food too quickly and not do well in Phase 2. It's a good idea to add new foods slowly so you can see how they affect you and figure out what your 'combo' of P2 foods is for maximum health and weight loss.

Here's what to do:

Step 1: Add ONE thing and only ONE thing (the SAME one) for a week. If you really are worried that you'll crave, start with something with a low Glycemic Index (you'll find a list in the book, in our FAQ, and lots of huge lists online--just type in "Glycemic Index" at www.dogpile.com or another search engine) item like berries. Try eating them at the same time each day and pay attention to what your body does, not just to your weightloss. Wait a whole week to see what really happens. If after 3 to 4 days you see something really bad, like you are craving like crazy or you gain 4 pounds move on to the next step. But if you aren't seeing anything horrible, wait it out so your body can adjust, okay?

Step 2: At the end of the week, evaluate.
  • If you crave, try adding protein, eating the item at a different time during the day (i.e. I can't have starches or fruits before lunch or I crave), or switch the item. Some people tolerate fruit better than others, some tolerate starches better. DON'T assume that if, for instance, oatmeal makes you crave, that you can't have any starches or any oat products. Different products (even different brands!) can make a difference in craving vs. not craving.
  • If you gain weight, try something different the next week, but keep the item in mind so you can try it again some day. You never know what might eventually work out for you!
  • If you do well, no cravings, no gain, add something new. Do the SAME process as you did the first week...add ONEthing and only ONE thing (the SAME one) for a week. If you tried a fruit before, try a starch, or vice versa.

Step 3: Do the same evaluation and keep going on at this process, repeating steps 1 and 2 until you start gaining or craving after a period of successful eating. You may have to tinker with your 'combo' to get it just right, but eventually you'll know what you can do. Don't be afraid to play with it even after you decide what works for you. Little changes might work too! For instance, I normally eat one starch and one fruit a day to lose. But I can sneak in an extra serving of starch on the weekend and still lose. I can also 'sneak' in a 1/4 or 1/2 portion of starch/fruit (like SF granola or 1/8 of an apple in a dinner recipe) daily and be okay.
Closed Thread