South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-20-2010, 06:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

Default Help... something isn't working!

So I haven't lost any weight at all in almost a month. In fact, I keep going up a pound, down a pound. It is quite literally going to drive me insane. I've been staying OP, working out, what gives? Plus, it's making me paranoid about every little thing potentially sabotaging my weight loss. Hopefully you ladies can help me out a little bit...

My typical day involves 6 hours of sleep and 5 liters of water. I workout for 30-45 minutes of cardio each night (running, elliptical, or arc trainer) and 15-30 minutes of weight or floor exercises

Breakfast is usually two eggs scrambled with 1/8 c low fat sharp cheddar cheese or hardboiled with 1 tbsp light mayo and a little mustard

morning snack is usually a cheese stick

lunch is either a big salad (4+ cups romaine with 2-3oz ham, two hard boiled eggs, 2 tbsp ranch dressing) or leftovers from the night before.

afternoon snack is usually 1/2 cup fat free plan yogurt (sometimes with 1/2 cup applesauce) though I frequently forget to eat this (not really all that hungry)

Dinner is typically 4 oz of lean meat like chicken, pork tenderloin or london broil. With 1-2 cups steamed veggie like broccoli, and 1.5 cups faux starch like mashed cauliflower, (made with a tbsp of light sour cream and a little milk) or cauliflower au gratin (approx 1 tbsp light mayo and 1/8-1/4 c lowfat sharp cheddar cheese per serving) I usually have an 8oz glass of fat free milk as well.

For dessert, I usually have 1/2 lowfat sugar free icecream, though I've been skipping it since my weight has stalled.

I'm loosely following a phase2 ish plan- but every time I have bread (I have developed a weakness for sandwiches!) I'm immediately up a pound the next day so no more bread for me.

Any ideas? Part of me is wondering if I am eating too few calories. (I know it's not about calories, but I average 1200 ish to 1500ish a day, usually on the lower end) Or, my weight has stalled since I added weight lifting back in. Or, I'm not sleeping enough- though that would be nearly impossible to change based on my 50+ an hour work week, class, gym, eating, etc. schedule.

I know this is a process and I didn't gain weight overnight... etc. etc. But I'm driving myself crazy right now.
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #2  
Feeling like a Fool at 52

S/C/G: 173/ticker/133

Height: 5'1"

Have you been taking your measurements? Sometimes the scale lies, especially if you're working out. You look too young to be menopausal, but I hear that can fark things up. Assuming you're certain your calorie intake range is what you say it is, I've gotta say I'd be befuddled too..a month is a pretty long plateau. Sometimes I'll try zig-zagging my calories, just to shake things up a bit, and it seems to work as long as I don't go overboard and start binging.

Wish I had something more definitive for you, good luck!
Purpleegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:00 PM   #3  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

I would also say that if you measure, you are smaller. Muscle is more dense so as you gain that, the scale is not going to be as accurate.

We all get used to the scale as our measure of success, but really, there comes a point when we have to look at more things to measure that success. Pants fitting better, bra's not biting as much, or in my case, ring sizes going down two sizes virtually overnight.

Take your measurements, I would bet that they are showing the improvement you are looking for
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 189/150/138

Measure measure measure, haha this happened to me this summer.
i gained like five pounds, however was staying extremely active.
just give the scale a break for a week, keep doing what youve been doing and eventually the weight must come off.
moosemaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:51 PM   #5  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I agree about measuring but also wanted to add switching up your cardio. try some interval training. you might also want to go for a bit longer with your cardio. try 45-60 minutes for a week and see where that puts you.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:45 PM   #6  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I also go by waist measurements, rather than the scale.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:00 AM   #7  

Here's the kicker... my measurements haven't budged either. I feel like I've stepped into some terrible weight loss twilight zone. I just started running again this week so I'm trying to.shake things up. It just sucks! I feel like throwing a tantrum like a little kid.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #8  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Sounds like your calories are low. You're about my height/weight...yup...calories low, especially with all that working out you're doing. Also, I notice quite a bit of dairy (cheese) in your diet. Cheese, for some strange reason, effects my weight loss negatively. Trying dropping the cheese as a snack and replacing it with something low fat high protein...perhaps a 3 oz filet of grilled chicken breast. Also, make sure your getting enough protein. Eat more dark green leafy veggies like spinach...the fiber, and numerous amounts of vitamins will better nourish your body and your body will thank you by dropping the fat.

I would use a program like fitday or another calorie tracker to see exactly what your giving your body. Although I'm not low-carbin it now...I've been a low carber for at least 10 yrs...and I can tell you...calories DO COUNT..whatever diet your on. Lastly, things like caffeine and sodium can also make you retain water and therefore the scale won't budge, nor will the tape measure.

Hope this helps!

*EDIT* - Oh and I noticed you started running...just wanted to say I lost 15 + lbs in a little over a month running...so that should help you tone and reduce fat drastically...it also helps to relax my brain! Just make sure you are getting enough protein/calories...so your body won't fight so hard to keep the fat.

Last edited by joyfulloser; 10-22-2010 at 05:54 PM.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:36 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 226/SeeTicker/170

Height: 5'8"

The addition of running should help; it sounds like you've hit a weight loss plateau. Those SUCK!!! Give that a shot and see how it goes.

I second the dairy too...you might be getting a bit too much of it. Also, as silly as it sounds have you tried Metamucil? You might be a bit constipated and you'd be surprised how much that can affect the numbers on the scale.
museumchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:03 PM   #10  

Height: 5'6"

Not losing weight for a month, even when doing every little thing right is not unheard of. Stalling, as cruel as it may seem, is a part of every dieters repetoire.... perhaps its just your time.

Beyond that, food consumption wise, I would suggest replacing the cheese with something else.
I know alot of people who just don't lose as well with more that one serving of cheese in there diet daily (and others that cant have it more than a few times a week)

Just my 2 cents!

Last edited by RiverGirl; 10-24-2010 at 11:03 PM.
RiverGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:59 AM   #11  

So... and update. The last 5 days have been pretty hectic and I haven't made it to the gym at all, though I did spend one day doing almost nothing but packing boxes. I ended up with two fast food meals (neither one on plan) and.... lost 4 pounds in 4 days. Seriously?! I guess the whole thing is just proof that weight loss can be a complete mystery sometimes.

Granted, this morning I was back up a pound, but I went wine tasting yesterday with some good friends (planned for months) and so I totally expected a little bump up, that will hopefully go back down shortly.

To a certain extent I think it was just a waiting game, but I also think part of it may be that I need to up my calories some to compensate for working out as much. So I guess I will try to be more conscious of that. I've not been really veyr hungry on this plan, and it's not been uncommon for me to skip one or more snacks a day, in addition to eating fairly low calorie meals.

I will try giving up cheese though- to be honest, it's going to be exceptionally difficult. No bacon and no cheese means some pretty boring eggs. (unfortunately, I don't like turkey bacon, and I have a hard time eating veggies in my eggs without cheese) Plus, it's such an easy snack. But, I will give it a shot. (After today, since I already had some cheese in my broccoli eggs!)
Old 10-25-2010, 02:35 PM   #12  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

you don't have to give it up entirely, just moderation.

have you tried other stuff in your eggs? my favorites: hot sauce (LOOOOOVE sriracha), pesto, pureed roasted red peppers, onions and garlic, etc.

cheese makes me..um..gassy, so i try to avoid it.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:25 PM   #13  

S/C/G: highest 191/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

SouthLake - Have you tried multiple brands of turkey bacon? I personally like the Oscar Meyer but HATE jenny-o. The Jenny-o turkey bacon is like cardboard. Also, jimmy dean makes turkey sausage that is pretty good. I actually prefer turkey sausage over regular.
jenn33082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #14  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Jenn-totally agree! Oscar Meyer Turkey Bacon is MUCH more like "real bacon" we have also had the Louis Rich brand, its ok, and vaguely bacon shaped, but the Oscar Meyer is the best. Chicken sausage is good too
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #15  

I have tried every type of turkey bacon known to man and bleh. I think the problem is that they try to call it bacon. If I didn't think of it as or compare it to bacon, I would probably be fine. But, no. It just isn't my thing. Every once in a while I'll splurge a little diet-wise and I get the center cut bacon- it has the same calorie and fat content as regular turkey bacon. So I use it as a very every once in awhile treat- like when everyone else is getting pancakes and hashbrowns.

Oddly enough, I like turkey sausage just fine, but I don't like it in my eggs. I think when it comes down to it, the texture of eggs is a little freaky to me, and that's what makes me so picky about what I put in them.

So I went back to egg salad for breakfast. Except for today, because I left my breakfast in the building when the fire alarm was going off and had a Starbucks fruit/cheese/nut plate. Yep. Cheese. Again. D'oh! (on the plus side, for once in my life I didn't use it as an excuse to get something off plan)