South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 12-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 147/139/129

Height: 5'6"

Default South Beach Gas!!!

I started SBD, I am on day 3 of phase 1. I have to admit, I'm handling it fairly well, in terms of resisting what I normally would SHOVE in my mouth. I have strictly stuck to the plan. My problem is, for the past I'd say 8 years, Ive gone from a six pack flat belly to a 4 month pregnant hard bloat....only way it goes away is if Im sick and dont eat 4 a few days. SO now, since I started this diet, I feel so much worse, I feel so gassy and bloated, and fatter. I started BEANO yesterday, it has yet to help. Im not sure if I need to give my body time to adjust? I decided to get rid of the high gas foods like broccoli and cauliflower at least till I feel better. Any tips would be great!
Hebba76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:13 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Are you not used to all the veggies? I remember the initial SBD being a bit rough (or is that a bit "roughage"!!)...and took a while for my body to adjust to the new (albeit healthier) diet.

Definately, SBD gives a flatter stomach, in my experience. On days I have (gasp!!) white bread or other off plan foods, I feel nasty and bloated. Hopefully, you'll be the same too!

LOL...I told my DH the other day that my friend from college always said if she eats pasta (white), she goes up a bra size (she was well endowed to begin with...and I am not!). He told me the menu for the week....spaghetti tonight, mac and cheese tomorrow night, lasagna the two nights after that...
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:39 AM   #3  

Height: 5' 7"

Are you eating alot of the artificial sweetners? I have to watch the sugar free stuff as I get very gassy if I eat to much to the point where my stomach hurts from the gas
Pearlrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Any artificial sweeteners can definitely cause abdominal discomfort and severe bloating and gas in some people.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:38 PM   #5  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Also, some get constipated with initial SB. Constipation = gas and bloating for me. I have had issues with this, even though eating lots of veggies. Drinking lots of water helps and occasionally I have to resort to some intervention like Metamucil or Senna. I think bad carbs make me go!

Last edited by murphmitch; 12-13-2009 at 03:39 PM.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:05 AM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Hebba, since you had a problem before you started SBD, I really think you should consult a doctor. 4 months of a hard bloat doesn't sound healthy and something else could really be going on. We had one member here who started SBD Phase 1 for the second time in her life, and it caused a flair up in an intestinal problem she had, but didn't know about. I don't remember whether it was Crohn's or diverticulitis, but she was in the hospital for quite a while and couldn't do SBD for over a year. So please do check with your doctor, okay?

However, for anyone else reading this thread who may be dealing with gas--eliminating gas producing foods like onions, cauliflower, broccoli, beans, and cabbage can help, though taking a supplement like Beano before eating them should help reduce it. You can also take medicine like Gas-X to reduce the gas. The biggest culprit is sugar alcohols--which are present in your sweet treats. The main reason sweet treats are limited is to reduce the chance of this problem.

Another possible cause can be fiber supplements. When I took Metamucil capsules, I had terrible problems with gas, so I switched to Fiber Choice tablets. They work well but don't cause that gas for me. Experiment until you find a fiber supplement that works for you.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #7  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

and make sure to drink plenty of water to keep all the extra fiber moving
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 147/139/129

Height: 5'6"

I actually havent had ONE sweet treat since I started. I bought the sugar free gelatin cups but have yet to eat one. I am feeeling better not, less gas feeling. I have been sticking to peppers, snow peas, artichokes, less onions, hummus. I have been to a ton of Dr.'s and the only thing they suggested was IBS, which I def don;t have, I am not constipated. My mom has same type of stomach......as many others who are normally thin have. I spent most my life at 125lbs and 5'6, and at times was about 119. The stomach bloat started when I was 23 ish, I think my stomahc muscles have turned to mush from lack of strengthening them, which makes your stomach distended, if only i got to gym more!
Hebba76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:11 PM   #9  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

Ok, I'm sorry, but Twynn - BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Gas is a way of life for me, but it really sounds like you need to see a doctor - it could be possible that you have an allergy to something you've added to your diet.

For example, I am allergic to meat, and yesterday I accidentally ingested a small amount (thank goodness) of bacon that was put in my food after I requested that it not be. I didn't catch it until my meal was half gone. Last night and today, I am miserable. Wicked bloated, crampy, heart-burny, etc. Had it been a decent amount, I'd be violently ill but fortunately for me, it was just a little bit and I caught it before I ate the rest of it.

Maybe your body doesn't like something you're eating? I don't know. I'm no doctor but it's an uneducated guess.....
weezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:09 PM   #10  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Twynn, I didn't read the last paragraph of your post... That's a riot!

Hebba, IBS isn't just constipation. For some people, it's just gas and diarrhea. For others (like me before SBD), it's a mix of the two. (sorry about the TMI! ). When I started SBD, mine went away. When I go off the plan (usually while traveling overseas), I get it again. Lots of stomach pain from the gas, etc.

Could be worth a trip to a doctor if it continues, but I'm glad you're feeling some relief.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote