South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 06:30 AM   #91  
Be happy.

Welcome WannaBFit.

We're supposed to get our first snow today, there's a snow/rain mix right now. I am going to have a room full of very excited 5 year olds today! lol

Still doing OK on phase 1, but anxious for Saturday morning when I can have my oats again. Or an apple.

Enjoy your Tuesday.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:15 AM   #92  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5 ft 3ish

Welcome WannaBFit!!!

I hear you Heidi. I am only on day 4 now so I have a ways to go. But thank God this is not Atkins lol. I am so ready to start adding some things in and eventually finding a healthy balance. That's why I never lasted on Atkins, too restricting for too long, you know?

I've had some struggles so far but you know what? I've birthed two children, I can handle 2 weeks of this.
My husband had two dr peppers yesterday. He saw the proof of it on the scale too. That's enough for me to stay OP since I am seeing a slow but steady decrease.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:08 PM   #93  
Becoming.

S/C/G: 282/266.1/165

Height: 5'3

well... tomorrow is my last day officially on phase 1! I'm adding in an apple every other day starting Thursday. Also, since Sundays seem to be lazy and my crockpot chili was so awesome this week.. I'm going to start trying other soups and chilis every sunday.

This Sunday is the White Chicken Chili (with another bean substituted for the corn). I do need a thickening agent though. The recipe says 9 cups of chili... only 2 tbsp of flour.

Any other ideas to use as a thickening agent for the chili? or since it's a whole 2 tbsp maybe I shouldn't worry too much for 9 cups of soup?

can't wait to weigh in Thursday morning... and see how well I did on phase 1! 6lbs week 1.. lets hope similar for week 2!

Last edited by gothik butterfly; 10-13-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:17 PM   #94  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5 ft 3ish

I'm making a version of white chicken chilli now, but I didn't see the one on this site until I came up with my own.

I suppose you could puree up a 1/2 cup or so and stir it back in???

Tomorrow is your last day! Wow, that's great! Are you pleased with your results? Do you feel good? Was the second week easier or harder than the first?
Old 10-13-2009, 05:35 PM   #95  
Becoming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaterAS View Post
I'm making a version of white chicken chilli now, but I didn't see the one on this site until I came up with my own.

I suppose you could puree up a 1/2 cup or so and stir it back in???

Tomorrow is your last day! Wow, that's great! Are you pleased with your results? Do you feel good? Was the second week easier or harder than the first?
this recipe was in the 300+ "one positive thing..." thread.

I will substitute pinto beans for corn. don't know about the flour yet though.

WHITE CHICKEN CHILI

Makes 9 cups
1 pound chicken breasts, diced
14 ounces chicken broth (1½ cups)
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Pepper to taste
1 large onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
8 ounces canned chopped mild green chilies
2 tablespoons flour
28 ounces canned white beans, rinsed
14 ounces canned corn, including liquid
1 tablespoon vinegar

2 cups fat-free half ‘n’ half
½ cup low-fat sour cream
½ teaspoon Tabasco
Garnish with chopped cilantro
Cook chicken in splash of the chicken broth in a Dutch oven over medium heat until cooked. Heat remaining broth in microwave. Transfer chicken to a dish to hold.
Melt butter with chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Add onion, red pepper, garlic and chilies; cook until onion is soft. Stir in flour; cook 1 minute. Stir in hot broth, chicken, beans, corn and vinegar. Cover and bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer for 90 minutes. Stir in half ‘n’ half, sour cream and Tabasco; rewarm but do not boil. Serve and enjoy!
NUTRITION ESTIMATE Per Cup: 261 Cal; 7g Tot Fat; 3g Sat Fat; 32g Carb; 5g Fiber; 1013mg Sodium; 44mg Cholesterol; Weight Watchers 5 points

Both weeks have been really easy for me. The only thing that was tough was the sugar cravings night one. I didn't have any SB friendly sweet treats but I just took it 5 minutes at a time, ate some protein and kept myself busy. Other than that, it has been easy peasy. (I did get sick of chicken .. was eating alot of it due to my financial situation but I learned quickly how to mix it up with different things to make it taste different)

I'm very very happy... hoping to see another good number on the scale Thursday morning... I know my pants are fitting differently and so are my bras. (I lose around the rib cage and down ...)

I feel great, and next week will be starting Zumba at the local YMCA should my finances check out for the week.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:46 PM   #96  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Gothick, I think you could completely eliminate the corn, and you wouldn't even miss it. As for thickening, you could substitute arrowroot for the flour, or use white whole wheat pastry flour. I would just puree some of the beans, though, and stir it back into the chili.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:51 PM   #97  
Becoming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottagebythesea View Post
Gothick, I think you could completely eliminate the corn, and you wouldn't even miss it. As for thickening, you could substitute arrowroot for the flour, or use white whole wheat pastry flour. I would just puree some of the beans, though, and stir it back into the chili.
sounds good to me. this is what i'll do
Old 10-13-2009, 08:02 PM   #98  

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

wow..today was such a crazy and sad day. I didn't get a chance to eat my whole lunch at work because I was working like crazy because i had a meeting this afternoon. SO i ate lunch when i got home at 4:00. WHen i got home i found out that my dog had passed away in her sleep. Cried and cried for awhile. rough day...
Old 10-13-2009, 08:08 PM   #99  
Becoming.

oh no!!!! thats awful! I'm so sorry for your loss.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:02 PM   #100  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Fluff, I'm so sorry for your tragic loss. What a truly sad day for your family.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:28 PM   #101  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

So sorry, Fluff. Take care of yourself.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:45 PM   #102  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Fluff, so sorry about your dog!

Gothik, I have seen people puree beans for the thickener in chili. Also make sure instead of butter to use a transfat-free spread like Smart Balance.

Last edited by beachgal; 10-14-2009 at 09:35 AM. Reason: If you want to add something to a post you've already written, just hit the "Edit" button. :)
Old 10-14-2009, 09:41 AM   #103  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Fluff, that's horrible! I'm so sorry, and I know it must be really, really hard to deal with. We lost our beloved bunny, Denali, earlier this year, and I'm still having those sad days from time to time. Just be gentle with yourself and know that the best way to honor your dog's life and the love she has for you is to take good care of yourself and your health--in other words, though it's really hard not to cheat when you're feeling so sad, remember that she would want you healthy and do your best to stay on plan. We're sending lots of good thoughts your way.

Not sure if Goob is still on anymore, but I must say, for those of you who end up in situations like hers, that you should definitely give SBD at least four weeks of trying before giving up because you think it's not working. You need to get past the point where cravings are still an issue (usually 3-5 days for most people) and try adding things like oatmeal back into your diet before you know if it's working for you. In addition, if you don't have much to lose, were on a really healthy eating plan before, or both, you may not lose much in Phase 1, but that doesn't mean that you won't lose once you move into Phase 2, so hang in there and really give the Beach an honest try before deciding whether to continue with it.

Looks like a great bean recipe, Gothik! Could you please post the recipe in the recipe forum and then link to it here? Otherwise, the recipe will be lost in this thread and no one will be able to find it when this sinks on to the next page.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:45 PM   #104  

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/175

Another rough crazy day. Didn't eat breakfast because nothing tasted right to me. Nothing at all. I tried eggs, threw them out. I tried string cheese and veggies, that went in the garbage. So i just opened a can of diet sierra mist and headed to work. THEN i get to work and forgot about this whole seniors day so I spent the morning babysitting (along with about 8 other teachers) 300+ seniors. By the time I got back up to the front office, it was time for me to go monitor 3rd lunch. After that I had a meeting across town at another school. Needless to say i was STARVING so I ate what I had on me for emergencies. Sadly, it happened to be something that is WAY off plan but I had to eat because I felt like I was gonna fall out. So I ate a poptart (atleast its the last one) which I know what bad, but it held me over. I need to pack OP snacks for work. Just with the problem last night and everything my mind wasn't there. I did eat something when I got home though, a bowl of homemade chilli (kidney beans, chili beans, black beans, NSA tomato sauce, LEAN gr beef, reduced fat cheddar and a spoon of FF sour cream) My belly is much happier now.
I'm supposed to go walking with a friend at the park while her son practices today but its rainy and cold...worried I'm gonna get sick...
Old 10-15-2009, 12:13 AM   #105  

S/C/G: 134/128/120

Hi, everyone!

Doing well here.

Sorry about your dog, Fluff! I know that was a sad day! I had my cat, who was 15 yrs old, put to sleep recently due to cancer. I still grieve for her and miss her so much. I had her her entire 15 yrs.

What are you all doing for workouts? I run but am finding my speed is really suffering the past couple of days. I also do weight training and kickboxing type workouts.

I had horrible gas today Felt like my insides were all twisted! I know it's from an overload of veggies, but holy cow! It was painful even just to walk!

Gothik, good luck on your weigh in in the morning! I'm anxious to hear how you did!
Closed Thread