South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #16  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
But I'm too broke to afford to stock my cupboards til Sunday. Furthermore, I am self-aware enough to know that personally I require lots of planning to make any change in my life. I'm sure other people can dive in more easily, but trust me, I can't.
Mollie, Betsi, and Besita!

I was going to respond to this, Betsi, so I'm glad you did. I think it's a bad idea to just jump in without planning first. I understand the concept that Diva and Jenny have put forward, and I agree that this Way Of Eating (WOE) is a real boon and something to look forward to. That said, any change, especially ones you're making for life (which is the best way, IMHO to make an eating plan change), are hard for many of us, and require mental, emotional, and practical planning and preparation. There's nothing wrong with that!

Those who jump in to a new plan without finding out about it, ensuring that it's something they can live with, and preparing their cupboards and support systems first are the ones who really struggle, IMHO. I've seen that time and again here on the boards. Preparing ahead really helps your success. So please don't feel bad if you've set a specific date to start. However, I doubt Jenny or Diva meant any insult--they're just trying to understand a different way of doing things.

Spreadable cheese options are:
  • Neufchatel cheese (1/3 less fat cream cheese)
  • Low Fat (LF) or Fat Free cream cheeses (flavors are okay as long as there isn't any sugar)
  • Boursin Light (or other versions of this, like Rondele Light)
  • and the perennial favorite, Laughing Cow Lite. (yum!)

Diva, did you read the book? Dr. A recommends in the book that we consume only natural peanut butters. As you said, the others have sugar. However, a "sugar free" peanut butter might be full of all sorts of strange ingredients and artificial sweeteners. Natural PB (or other nut butters) are a lot healthier. Or, if you have time, you can make your own, as Jenny suggests.

Last edited by beachgal; 03-18-2009 at 10:43 AM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:31 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsi View Post
Hopefully you mean that jokingly, because I was kind of hurt by this, as some one who is waiting to start. I'm not stupid, nor do I not know it's a good thing. But I'm too broke to afford to stock my cupboards til Sunday. Furthermore, I am self-aware enough to know that personally I require lots of planning to make any change in my life. I'm sure other people can dive in more easily, but trust me, I can't.

There ARE good reasons to set a specific date to start.
Betsi,

I absolutely meant no harm to you. You have to trust that. It's hard to convey emotion through an e-mail so I can see how you may have "heard" me differently than I "sounded".

I wasn't joking either, though. I speak from experience. I plan for the day I am going to quit smoking and see quitting as losing something rather than as gaining something. However, if I had a winning lottery ticket waiting, I'd move on it right away.

It's human perception about so many things, and a good many people with weight issues have a real connection to food.

So, girl, you do it the way you have to do it. If it's a delayed start, it's a delayed start, and I don't suggest I have the right to make you start ANYTHING at any time.

Please accept my sincerest apologies. It was never my intent to offend you, as it is never my intent to offend anyone at all.

Unless, of course, they get stupid with me in which case all bets are off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgal View Post
Mollie, Betsi, and Besita!

Diva, did you read the book? Dr. A recommends in the book that we consume only natural peanut butters. As you said, the others have sugar. However, a "sugar free" peanut butter might be full of all sorts of strange ingredients and artificial sweeteners. Natural PB (or other nut butters) are a lot healthier. Or, if you have time, you can make your own, as Jenny suggests.

Laurie,

I have read the book several times.

By sugar-free peanut butter, I mean peanut butter that is free of sugar, or natural as you stated.

I don't think I've ever seen "sugar-free" peanut butter, and I wasn't suggesting that anyone eat peanut butter that has had sugar removed and an artificial sweetener added.

Semantics.

We're on the same page.

Last edited by beachgal; 03-18-2009 at 12:29 PM.
AnAbsoluteDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #18  
Getting fit and healthy!

S/C/G: 200 / see ticker / 145

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAbsoluteDiva View Post
Betsi,

I absolutely meant no harm to you. You have to trust that. It's hard to convey emotion through an e-mail so I can see how you may have "heard" me differently than I "sounded".

I wasn't joking either, though. I speak from experience. I plan for the day I am going to quit smoking and see quitting as losing something rather than as gaining something. However, if I had a winning lottery ticket waiting, I'd move on it right away.

It's human perception about so many things, and a good many people with weight issues have a real connection to food.

So, girl, you do it the way you have to do it. If it's a delayed start, it's a delayed start, and I don't suggest I have the right to make you start ANYTHING at any time.

Please accept my sincerest apologies. It was never my intent to offend you, as it is never my intent to offend anyone at all.

Unless, of course, they get stupid with me in which case all bets are off.

Thanks Diva, I appreciate your perspective. Pure text communication (except maybe for these smileys ) can be tricky for sure - in fact, I think my post came out more upset than I intended. I admit I'd just woken up and might have been a bit grouchy. Maybe I need to make a rule to not write posts until I've finished that first cuppa?

I guess the idea of just making the change right away was just so foreign to me that I couldn't figure out if you were serious. Even outside of text I tend to have trouble telling when people are kidding, so I meant it as a genuine question and I do apologize that it came out as a more loaded thing than I intended. I think it's wonderful that you can start right away, and I admire the ability to do it that way.

Again, I'm really sorry to have made a whole big thing out of it. I'd mainly intended to answer Jenny's question ("Why do people wait until a specific day to start a new way of life? Why don't they start it now?") since as one of the people who waits, I know at least some of the reasons that people do.

This is why I love these boards - so many other places, this would have turned into a big old flame war. Instead we're all just "Oh I'm sorry, that's not how I meant it." "No no, I'm sorry! That's not how I meant it either!" Just civilized, polite discussion of the topic.

Thanks everyone for being such a great board, and helping me to see the other perspective.

Last edited by Betsi; 03-18-2009 at 12:11 PM. Reason: clarifying
Betsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:15 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Height: 5'6"

No problem, Betsi.

But you're right, if there is ONE diet in the world that requires some serious planning, it's the South Beach way of eating.

The only diet I know of that requires zero planning is fasting. And even that I think would require a bit of work.

Rock on.

Kick butt.

You can!
AnAbsoluteDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 180/180/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsi View Post
Just civilized, polite discussion of the topic.

Thanks everyone for being such a great board, and helping me to see the other perspective.
Agreed. This is a wonderful place to be. Respectful discussions and tons of support is found here in great numbers.
besita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:44 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 338 / 302 / 238

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollie View Post
I have one question. I've been reading ALL the Beach Books this past week, and was surprised to notice that now there's such an emphasis on legumes. They weren't there at the beginning. They're high in calories and carbs. How do you all handle this? Do you eat the 1/2 cup a day they recommend, and still lose weight?
I read the original book, where beans were listed on the good vegetable list so I took advantage of it. I made vegan or lean meat chili and all sorts of things with them.

I lost just under 20 lbs on Phase 1 BUT there are a few caveats to that. Before going on South Beach, I was eating pasta 3 or 4 times a week so that I'd have leftovers for lunch, which made it 6 - 8 times a week. I was also mainly eating corn or rice as a vegetable. I had no idea how bad this was even though I knew they were starches.

I grew up with a mother that wouldn't eat anything green and my father passed away early. For the first time ever in almost 30 years, during phase 1 I went to a salad bar for the first time. I ate spinach for the first time. I still have to eat them together with other foods to "disguise" the taste some times, but at least I'm eating properly.

Sorry for the side track, I just didn't want you to think I ate a ton of beans and that's why I lost the weight. I changed all of my eating habits.
Kriterian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:00 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 296/292/146

Height: 5'7

I'm also waiting to start until Saturday for a practical reason -- I won't be able to go to the grocery store. As others have said, it's generally helpful to read about the diet/eating plan before just jumping in.

Thanks for all the welcomes and tips.
Mollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:16 PM   #23  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollie View Post
I'm 50, and had my annual physical last week. For the first time, my blood sugar and cholesterol numbers were... troublesome. Not dangerous yet, but the warnings signs are here. My doctor said I had to take losing weight seriously and suggested either Weight Watchers or South Beach. I've tried WW before and didn't lose much.

I'm 52 and for the last 3 years my cholesterol was over 200 for the first time in my life. And that was with following WW. After being on South Beach for 6 months my cholesterol dropped 30 points. The weight was really getting hard to drop after age 50 with WW also. I think my body just wasn't processing those simple carbs as well anymore. As for the beans, I occasionally will eat a whole can of beans (usually 3.5 servings per the label). It has never hindered my weight loss. On the contrary, they are so filling and good for you, but they do give you gas!

Last edited by murphmitch; 03-18-2009 at 07:15 PM.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:03 PM   #24  

Thank you, Anne. I'm in the same boat. My cholesterol has been 179 to 183 for 20 years and, in one year, it jumped to 215. Thank you for the encouragement!
Old 03-18-2009, 07:15 PM   #25  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Mine was 210 -214 last 3 years. I usually run low like 150's most of my life. Thankfully my HDL's are way up in the 90's, but my last cholesterol was 184. It started going up with menopause.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:41 PM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphmitch View Post
Mine was 210 -214 last 3 years. I usually run low like 150's most of my life. Thankfully my HDL's are way up in the 90's, but my last cholesterol was 184. It started going up with menopause.
Menopause will do it! When I had the Conversation about that two years ago, my doctor said I had too much estrogen. I'd never thought of that as a drawback -- but I'm learning that it is, and can lead to Bad Things. More reasons to lose weight.

The bad thing about being Very Overweight is that, unlike quitting smoking, you can't change it overnight. It's like the economy -- you must have 8 months of income in a savings account is GREAT advice, but most of us can't take that out of this week's paycheck and sock it away