South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Default considering SB...

Hi ladies! I did WW last year and lost about 40 pounds and loved the plan. However, I'm having a hard time getting back on it and sticking with it. While I was on WW, I never had soda, candy, sugary desserts, etc.
Now I eat that junk again
I still want to do WW, but I thought doing Phase 1 and 2 of SB might help me kick some of my cravings for the junkier foods. Then I can be more motivated to get on WW again, and it'll be easier to avoid the less healthy foods. I love veggies, beans, dairy, nuts, etc. so I think I'll enjoy it.
The only thing that worries me is going two weeks without fruit! I love an apple each day, or grapes, or berries. How do you guys do it?
Also, I'm really allergic to artificial sweeteners (and stevia).
And while I know none of you fabulous ladies would do it, please don't bash WW to me. Obviously SB is a great plan, and it works wonders. But I also know that WW works for me as well. I'd like to try both...
Thanks ladies! I'd gladly appreciate any tips you might have. I bow to your wisdom
Old 10-09-2008, 09:55 PM   #2  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Actually, Chicky, quite a few of the girls here combine WW and South Beach....counting points while eating beachy foods has really worked wonders for a lot of people. After my baby is born, I plan to do the same. It helps some of us that have problems with portion control and calorie consumption. There are also some of us that combine South Beach and Calorie Counting.

Phase 1 sounds difficult, but after the first few days it really isn't that difficult anymore.

I avoid artificial sweeteners as well....it has actually helped me to avoid sweets. For me, even though the art. sweeteners don't cause a blood sugar spike, something about the sweet taste of it makes me crave something more. For that reason, I try my best to avoid splenda sweetened things, soda, etc. If I do need something a little sweet (greek yogurt for example) I add a little agave nectar. But honestly, for me, sweets is what got me into this mess and just switching to art. sweeteners doesn't take those cravings away.

Lastly, Welcome!

--
ETA: You don't have much to lose! Congrats! While that is a great thing, keep in mind that you probably will not lose 10-15 lbs. on Phase 1 like some with more weight to lose do. Think of it in terms of percentages, you have 23 lbs. to lose - you'll probably lose between 10-20% of that in the first two weeks.

The biggest benefit that you'll see from Phase 1 is putting those junky food cravings to rest for good....believe me, it is such a great feeling to be free from cravings.

Last edited by zeffryn; 10-09-2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:06 PM   #3  

Thanks girl! Lol, I know I'm not going to lose that much during phase 1. I'm more looking forward to losing some of these cravings. Is it awful to eat a banana once a day during this time? Obviously that would mean it's not a "true" phase 1, but I know I get very queasy without some kind of carb with breakfast. Or if not a banana, maybe a serving of fiber one cereal?
I don't want to be barfing on my students, lol, but I do want to stick to the program as close as possible. Thanks for the support!
Old 10-09-2008, 10:15 PM   #4  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I'll give you my experience. When I eat carbs in the morning (when I'm totally OP), I crave them the rest of the day. I limit them to the evening only.
I get the same way without something in the morning - I solved that by adding beans to things. My favorite breakfast is southwestern scrambled eggs (or, if you're in a time crunch make some southwestern egg cups and nuke in the microwave for a few seconds) I always make sure to add black beans to my eggs and top it with some salsa and a tiny bit of sour cream. It really holds me and takes away that icky queasy feeling.

I would try to get your carbs from other sources (veggies, beans, dairy, etc.) for a few days to see how you feel.

I just had to warn you about not losing much during Phase 1 because a LOT of people have gotten really disappointed when they didn't lose the "standard" 10-15 lbs. during Phase 1.

btw, do you do WW meetings or online?
Old 10-10-2008, 08:16 AM   #5  

I prefer real-life meetings. I work with 3 year olds all day, and I likethe chance to talk to grown ups, lol!
Old 10-10-2008, 07:41 PM   #6  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Giving up fruit for a while is hard if you are used to it, but after a couple of days, it shouldn't be that hard. It will really help you in the long run when you start adding back stuff. That way you can tell what "sets you off" to cravings.

You can do it!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2008, 07:57 PM   #7  

I just kept telling myself that it was only for 2 weeks. Not forever, just 2 weeks. I have to second Zeff

Quote:
The biggest benefit that you'll see from Phase 1 is putting those junky food cravings to rest for good....believe me, it is such a great feeling to be free from cravings.
I cannot describe how hard I was struggling with cravings. I was really trying very hard and it was like a ton lifted off my shoulders when the cravings were gone. Now that I know how to get rid of them I feel so empowered.

BTW, I do a SBD/WW hybrid. I think I did WW for so long it is just second nature but I need the SBD to make sure I don't slip into the craving jungle.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:16 PM   #8  

I was on WW Core since Oct. 07, and switched to SBD the beginning of Sept. 08. I loved doing Core. My problem was using my 35 pts each week on junk food. That was the main reason I went back to SBD. I love my fruits too, and I only did Phase 1 for a week. I really didn't have cravings, and was eating pretty much the same foods, so on to Phase 2. I can not say enough about this wonderful plan. I love the foods, the health benefits, and I feel great.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:39 PM   #9  

Thanks for all the tips ladies! I'll probably start tomorrow
Old 10-12-2008, 07:25 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

I just finished up Phase 1 and honestly it wasn't that bad. I am usually a bananna a dayer too. At first you feel like you really have to babysit yourself and monitor everything. But a couple days later you will all the sudden notice you don't even miss some of that stuff. I am a teacher and there is always stuff in our lounge. I haven't felt deprived once. I think you will really like it!
Old 10-13-2008, 10:05 AM   #11  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Chicky, you might consider combining WW's program with SBD (isn't there a WW version that's more SBD-like?)

As for carbs in the morning--hon, if you are feeling that you need that to get going, it's probably because your blood sugar is low from carbs the day before. One of the side effects of doing Phase 1, once I get the sugar out of my system, is that I feel energetic in the morning and no longer seem to need five bowls of carbs just to feel alive. I think you might feel the same. If not, try getting your carbs in the form of dairy (cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese, milk), beans, tomatoes, and bell peppers. It really helps you get through Phase 1. A great breakfast (IMHO) is 1/2 can of vegetarian refried beans mixed with a little salt and garlic powder, heated, with LF (2%) sharp cheddar and SF salsa. It's comfort food!

Hope you'll find success combining the plans.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:37 PM   #12  

Quick question: Has anyone else ever had almost overwhelming urges to go to the potty during phase 1? And I'm not talking about peeing.... Just a little concerned...
On the good side, I may have gone down a pant size....
Old 10-13-2008, 11:01 PM   #13  

Are you consuming sugarfree candy or anything with sugar alcohol? I know that if I eat too much with any of the -ols, I end up regretting it.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:20 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I usually had the opposite problem on Phase 1! But I think Barb's right, it could be the sugar alcohols effect on you. Drink plenty of water, that will help.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:30 AM   #15  
Determined to lose!

Congrats on being down a pant size... and you were hesitant about the program!
Closed Thread