South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 09:09 AM   #1  
Determined to lose!

Default keeping it FRESH?????

OK, as we all know the shelf life of fresh veggies are very low. I only shop once a week since I'm out in the country and have no need to run to town more than that.

How do you keep your veggies fresher longer?

Celery
Lettuce (this week I'm gonna get Spinach!)
Mushrooms
tomatoes

ANYthing, cucumbers, radishes, etc.

What is your trick and how often do you shop for these items?
Old 10-01-2008, 09:15 AM   #2  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

The green bags are a really good investment. I was skeptical at first, but my MIL bought some and let me use one. Awesome. I immediately bought some. $10 to keep all our produce fresh until we use it.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:24 AM   #3  
Determined to lose!

Are they reusable?
Old 10-01-2008, 09:25 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I haven't tried the green bags. I shop once a week for this stuff, and my only trick is when it starts getting a little old, I cook it. I'll make a pot of veggie soup or something else that can use a ton of veggies, which I can freeze or keep in the fridge for a few days longer.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:40 AM   #5  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I gave in and bought the green bags a couple of months ago. They really do work and are reusable. Do you have any cool, dry spots? I would use my back hall for things like greens, celery & tomatoes (and put the greens in green bags). They seem to do better in cool rather than cold.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:44 AM   #6  
Determined to lose!

Cyndi, unfortunately no, I don't have "cool spots"... i live in a mobile home, that heats like a car . (in winter it freezes as a car does!) Most uneconomical place to live is a single wide!
Old 10-01-2008, 09:47 AM   #7  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

The other day I saved an article about this on my SP account as a favorite. How to keep fruits and veggies fresh.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:56 AM   #8  
Workin' It

http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid...d=HPProd280020

I bought these produce savers off of Amazon.com and have been very happy with them.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:58 AM   #9  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Lori, yes the green bags are reusable. I think up to 10 times.

It makes it possible for us to shop for produce once every 10-14 days and keep everything fresh.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:17 AM   #10  
Determined to lose!

Now I'm wondering which would be better at keeping produce fresher? The containers or bags?

Containers would have more longevity in themselves, but would they keep the produce as fresh as bags and vice versa? hhmmmm
Old 10-01-2008, 10:29 AM   #11  
Workin' It

The only drawback about the containers I've found is that the big one is big... It holds a lot - I usually use it for broccoli, then it is hard to fit back in the produce drawer, so sometimes I sit the container in the middle of the lowest shelf of the fridge above the drawer.

They keep things really fresh, though. I usually get 14-18 days on most things, I once got almost 4 weeks on grapes, but I don't know their normal shelf life to compare that to...

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 10-01-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:19 AM   #12  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

Oh and the Tupperware containers do not work.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:27 AM   #13  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

I've definitely gotta try those green bags. I saw some at Dollar General. Not sure if they're the brand or a cheap knockoff.

I wonder if that new Ziplock vaccuum seal will work for produce. It keeps meats and things in the freezer a lot longer without freezerburn, so I wonder if it would keep veggies just as fresh in the fridge.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:38 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

For celery, wrap it in foil, it'll keep for a month that way.

You are correct that spinach in hardier then lettuce and I've never had it go bad in a week (just check the date on the box/bag.) I do buy spinach in the box though, seems to last better then the bagged stuff.

For mushrooms, do you usually cook them? Why not saute them and then put into baggies for separate meals. They won't go bad as quick once cooked.

Limp veggies can be revived with ice water.

I buy veggies once a week and have no problems with things going bad. Of course I buy most of my veggies from the farmer's market, so they are probably fresher.

Herbs will last a couple weeks if you sprinkle them with water, wrap in a paper towel, and then put in a zip lock bag. Just don't do this with basil, basil turns black if it's refrigerated.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:41 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Melanie View Post
I've definitely gotta try those green bags. I saw some at Dollar General. Not sure if they're the brand or a cheap knockoff.

I wonder if that new Ziplock vaccuum seal will work for produce. It keeps meats and things in the freezer a lot longer without freezerburn, so I wonder if it would keep veggies just as fresh in the fridge.
Making the seal better would probably make veggies spoil quicker. According to the adverts, the reason the green bags work is because the bags release the ethyl gas that makes produce ripen/spoil faster. Making the seal tighter, will just let the gas build up.

I've never tried the green bags myself, but I have heard they work from other people.
Closed Thread