South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 05:10 PM   #31  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Jelly don't let a School definition limit you! Many Many Administrators are Wonderful and some are hacks. I wonder if the local community college has a career counselor?
You might just have to tap into what speaks to you in order to really shine.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:17 PM   #32  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Jelly How old are you? I forget which but at 21/22 ish you can file for aid separate from your fam
I lived with my mom and she claimed me as a dependent and I still Got Pell and Loans.
or if you do have an actual learning issue (that's documented) you can check out your local division of vocational rehabilitation. . .Their Job is to get you out in the working world and I know for friends of mine they gave aid for school PM me if you need help
Old 09-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #33  
Determined to lose!

OK, so last several days I've been bringing kitty out of my bedroom while Jade is outside for potty. Kitty climbs to the back of my neck (ok, did twice, I wont let her now) and RUNS back to her "sanctuary" (my bedroom). I've been allowing Jade in the room for a few minutes a few times throughout the day. Kitty keeps a sharp eye on her from the top of "her:" dresser, and obviously does NOT like the dog in "her" space! I've also been feeding kitty her moist food by the door (she's always got dry food in dish), and make sure Jade is on the other side of the door while kitty is eating. She cautiously, but purringly, eats her moist, watching under the door (where Jade's paws and jaw are visible)...

Honey has settled into her room, but even when Jade is outside she still won't come out. I really need to get over to my sis's for the baby gate I gave her (she's no longer using it as she had to rehome the little dog that was eating the cat poop)... Of course it doesn't help that the Jack Russel she had could EASILY jump the gate!

Everytime I go to the bathroom now kitty gets off "her" (my) dresser and waits for me by the door! She knows when I'm in there and has come to expect a "visit" from her mommy!

I'm hoping in time the kitty will settle in enough to trust me that the rest of the house is just as "safe" as her sanctuary, and if she needs to escape she always has her room... But I need to wait for the gate to "open up" her world a little more!

Last edited by Loriann7; 09-22-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:55 PM   #34  
Determined to lose!

... I had responded to an A/P ad on craigslist and received a call from "the Salzman Group" for an interview... Set up for one tomorrow but upon getting website information... I've already interviewed there, she was going to offer me a position (this was about four months ago) but she wants to get someone in mid 20's, WAY below my salary budget! .

Makes me feel good she still likes my resume!
Old 09-22-2008, 06:08 PM   #35  
Come on ONEderland!

S/C/G: 254/ticker/175

Height: 5'-7"

Jelly- go to community college. Get your requirements (math, english, ect) out of the way. You can do this really inexpensively- you probably won't need financial aid.

Lori- it can take up to a month for everything to settle down. You're doing it all right- get the gate and let the kitten figure things out for herself.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:21 PM   #36  
Heather-Nic

S/C/G: 293.5/248/220

Height: 5'7"

Jelly - At every community college, there is a department that works specifically with students who have been designated as "special ed." (I know this because I work with special ed. students to help them transition from High School to post-school.) Call that department and ask for a meeting. It doesn't cost anything. And then they can discuss with you your options regarding a certificate program, AA degree, etc..... They can also share with you what kind of assistance would be avaliable to you for finances, school work, tutoring, etc. It would be a really good way for you to get some information.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:23 PM   #37  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

Ohhhhh man. I'm sick. Miserable, and sick. My throat hurts all the way up into my ear, I'm congested, and I have a fever. Thank you, Little Guy. Came home early from work today.

Heather. I'm so sorry for your disappointment. Just keep praying and I hear they say don't try so hard and it could happen then. A member of our church and her husband tried for years and finally adopted a little girl, then 3 months later got pregnant with triplets.

I'm going to lie back down. Tommy made me a bowl of soup. I think I may have a grilled cheese too. Comfort food is good when you're sick, right?

Have a great night girls.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #38  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Having learning disabilities just means you have to work harder. Companies can't not hire you because of any disability - mental or otherwise.

****...I'm married to a freakin' zoo exhibit.

In Minnesota, I had to be 22 before I could file for financial aid by myself. I'm sure at 26, you're considered emancipated even if your parents still claim you as a dependent. I would talk to a financial aid counselor at a local community college, they will know everything you need to know concerning grants, financial aid and loans. Also, being in special ed might actually make it easier for you to obtain grant money. Don't let not being able to afford it become an excuse for not getting an education. It is one of the best gifts you can give to yourself.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:08 PM   #39  
beachin'

They offer tons of medical assistant programs online at accredited schools.

Also, are you sure you want to be a medical assistant? The salary is really low. You may want to look into becoming an LPN instead....more work, way way way more money.

Last edited by zeffryn; 09-22-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:09 PM   #40  
Determined to lose!

Hugs Lisa, hope you feel better in the am! My sis is sick tonight as well .
Old 09-22-2008, 07:24 PM   #41  
beachin'

look...please don't take this the wrong way...but, if you're looking for people to validate you doing nothing your entire life...you're looking in the wrong place. We care about what you do and are trying to give you every possible bit of advice on how to achieve what you want...but we're not going to do it for you.

A little bit of background. I put myself through college...without grants, without financial aid. I worked my butt off. I also have dyslexia which made learning really difficult. I worked through my problems and have a masters.

YOU are your only roadblock here.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:28 PM   #42  
beachin'

Also, about having a problem understanding simple things - I graded my husband's classes tests last night....apparently you aren't the only one.

Last edited by zeffryn; 09-22-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:36 PM   #43  
beachin'

My husband has ADHD and we control it with diet. Low sugar, low hormones...etc. He used to take adderall, but it interfered with the way his mind worked....he wasn't able to think like a mathematician needs to. The change in diet has worked wonders, symptoms are pretty much gone and he's brilliant as ever.

Dyslexia runs in my family as well. My father has it. Don't let something as small as a learning disorder hold you back from something that you want.

Being advanced has nothing to do with dyslexia or learning disorders...it has to do with a will to succeed. If you have drive, nothing can hold you back. There is no excuse to "stay stupid" if you don't want to. Read a book, research online...not every form of intelligence has to come from school.

Last edited by zeffryn; 09-22-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:40 PM   #44  
Determined to lose!

'Tis a lesson you should heed,
Try, try again.
If at first you don't succeed,
Try, try again. - Thomas H. Palmer (1782 - 1861) Teacher's Manual (1840)
Old 09-22-2008, 07:54 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 329/311/not 329

Height: 5'6"

I have a friend who's son has ADHD... contributed to RED #40 food dye! Seriously makes him bounce off the walls.
Closed Thread