South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 09-04-2008, 06:54 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Mine's a Ronco. My mother gave it to me because she never used it, and I'm about to use it for the first time this weekend for drying tomatoes. After hearing about the Nesco, though, with a fan and heater, I'm considering buying one. It will be fun on Saturday to see how my first batch of tomatoes turns out!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #17  

S/C/G: maintaining

Question Rehydrating the post!

I have questions and I know you have answers! I want to try making some veggie snacks with our dehydrator. Based on what I read in this post, my manual, and online... here is what I am wondering:

For tomatoes... Do you blanch them first? Scrape seeds out? If using Roma halves, do you slit the backside? Do you season or use olive oil? I just tried roasting them in the oven for the first time and loved them! I wonder if this is similar.

Green beans... Do you blanch them first? Season? Again, I am wondering if they are snack worthy.

Zucchini chips - How do you prep these?

Can the three above be safely stored at room temp or refrigerated for a week? I am thinking ahead for my ski trip.

I have done fruits in the past, many years ago. But those are too tasty, as many of you know. But I never, ever did veggies. One of many SB changes for the better

Thanks chicks.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:58 PM   #18  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I have the Nesco with the fan on top, which will take up to 12 trays. Love it! We had an old one for years, and the new one is far superior. I bought mine at Bed Bath and Beyond, which also carries the extra trays. BB&B lets you use as many 20% coupons as you wish with a single purchase(which the coupon says is a nono) so it was quite affordable.

We dry fruit for snacks, misc veggies for the many SBD soups I make, and we grow thousands of cherry tomatoes which sliced in half make great snacks. Right now organic broccoli is on super sale, so I will buy a bunch to have for the infamous broccoli cheddar soup.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:34 PM   #19  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Ah, my favorite topic We have the Nesco that can take up to 20 trays. Only 10 fit on my counter though.

I almost never blanch before drying.

Romas- I slice in half lengthwise and sprinkle a little basil & garlic granules. Adding any oil will shorten the shelf life significantly

I tried green beans once and did not like them. Anyone else?

I do tons of zucchini and cucumber chips. I like to buy the big really cheap ones which are great for this. I slice them on my mandolin, thin but not super thin. then season with whatever you like. I do garlic & basil; onion & dill; and Mexican seasoning. Be very cautious with the salt! I often don't use any because I don't need it and it's easy to ruin a batch (they can be powdered and mixed into stews though).

Dehydrated food can be stored for much longer than a week. I store foods up to a year in a cool, dark closet with little flavor loss. The zucchini and cucumber are very susceptible to moisture however and I vacuum seal those. They might be okay for a week. They won't go bad but might not be as crisp as you want in a regular container.

We have lots of dried apples. I discovered that they fit perfectly in a peanut butter jar and that controls the amount I have. I also don't worry much about eating too many apples because I've never had a problem with them.

Once you get used to doing veggies you are going to love it. In the summer I always have the dehydrator running in the back hall. I will use as much shredded summer squash, green pepper chunks and eggplant slices as I can dry. They go into the crockpot. I also dry tomatillos, some greens, plum tomatoes, carrots and cabbage. When I'm really in the groove I also dry edible ends and bits (like carrot greens) and powder them. Makes a good soup base and thickener for stews, loaves, etc.

Probably way more than you wanted to know
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:05 AM   #20  

S/C/G: maintaining

Debbie - I never throw their expired coupons away. Does your store let you use more than one on the same ITEM? I would love that. If I like the veggies dehydrated I might need to treat myself to a new machine; ours is ancient.

Cyndi - Thanks for the info. I never thought of cukes! And the seasoning tips will be a great help too. Maybe my game plan will be to try small amounts of a bunch of stuff and blanch some (that the book says need it) and not others. Compare.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:08 AM   #21  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaistingTime View Post
Debbie - I never throw their expired coupons away. Does your store let you use more than one on the same ITEM?
No, only one per item. If you don't have a coupon at the time, they will discount it after the purchase if you bring your coupon and receipt.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:38 AM   #22  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Karen - If you start really getting into dehydrating the absolute best resource out there is a yahoo group. It is pretty high volume but has quite a few really experienced people who have done a lot of the trial and error stuff already. Also lots of great files in their resource area. I have learned so much from them and definitely use my dehydrator a lot more because of that group.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote