South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 09:11 AM   #16  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

Good Monday morning! I hope this week is full of success for us all in all areas of our life.

Got up at 5am and did a 12 minute spirt on the elliptical while the coffee brewd and now my energy level is like the energizer bunny.

Loriann sorry to hear of your news

Cat I'm so glad yall had a good day

Cottage hope you got that workout done

Ruth it's gotta make you feel good to be getting back in the swing of things. Heres some to help with your eating

Good luck LC

Krystal it sounds like you are doing just fine. I love your motivational idea - keep up the great work

Hi Cyndi, Schmoodle, Barb & Only1 Hope you gals have a great day!
Old 03-03-2008, 09:15 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I just saw you too, Kara! Looks like most of us are up and at 'em today! I thought of making the rice pudding with brown rice, but Dustin would have had a fit since he's been hankering for our old family recipe. Rice doesn't usually set me off, either, but this recipe is made with whole milk and heavy cream, and real sugar! And, I ate way too much of it!
Old 03-03-2008, 09:17 AM   #18  

Have a great day, GONNA!

Now I'm really out of here!
Old 03-03-2008, 09:57 AM   #19  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Morning, everyone! This time, next week, many of us will be on daylight savings time! That means spring is coming...

Loriann, I'm sorry for your loss. I hope that your son finds comfort in good memories of time with his grandfather. I'm sorry you don't feel you can go to the services--it's so hard when people don't see what's there. We can still love our children/friends/relatives and see them for who they are, IMHO. I'm glad you visited the PCOS forum and found so much good advice. Did you read the South Beach Diet book? Dr. A also explains how carbs and refined sugar affect your insulin--but maybe you didn't know that the PCOS was affecting it too? Anyways, it's always a good feeling to know more about how your body works so you can help it feel better! You definitely should have mammograms yearly, hon. If your mother had breast cancer, it can double your chance of getting it. However, lots of other factors affect your risk. You can calculate your personal risk (taking into account your mother's illness) here. I hope the other risk factors are low so you don't have much cause for worry!

Cat, honey, from the looks of your garden alone, I'd be thrilled to visit your B&B! Considering that your family has the draw of seeing their daughter/sister/aunt, I can understand why they're drawn to you like flies to honey! Hope you have wonderful visits and not too much work!

Ruth, congratulations on the driving and on the 90* bend you must have achieved! That's awesome!!! I remember that sense of freedom after my accident--it's hard for independent chickies like us to let others take care of everything! Enjoy the freedom! My doctor friend tells me that we need lots of exercise to keep our digestive system active. I doubt you can get all that exercise with the knee--so I can understand why you need a "celebration!" I miss Weezle too!

Cyndi, that yogurt sounds ten times better than pudding! As for pudding--it's easy to find/make in P2. There are several flavors available in Jell-o SF. Out by us, Kozy Shack brand makes three kinds of SF fruit/pudding cups. They also make SF tapioca and rice pudding. Technically we shouldn't have the white rice, but I've tried the tapioca and didn't have any cravings. I like to sprinkle some cinnamon on top. Yum! You can also make either instant or cook n' serve SF pudding mixes by Jell-o. And there's also making pudding from scratch, of course. It's an easy craving to meet.

Oh, LC, dealing with awful parents is my least favorite thing ever. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope the mother has a quick change of heart.

Schmoo, what a great DH!

Hope you have a great day at work, Barb!

Krystal! I live just a couple hours SE of you in the Finger Lakes. Can you see me waving? If it's 50 (wow!!!) over by you, it must be fairly warm here--that's great! It was gorgeous yesterday--we went for a walk at a local park with our pup and I just wore my fleece instead of my winter coat. I didn't even have to zip it, though we did have to navigate through a lot of slush and snow. Hope you and DD4 have a great walk! I'm glad you are dealing well with nighttime snacking and your breakfast. Hon, are you using the bottled FF SF caramel? Make sure there isn't anything in there that might cause cravings or limit the detox in Phase 1. I usually avoid it until P2.

Only1, we had our first moderator meetup in Philly and there were tons of great choices there for SBD! Check out Au Bon Pain (if you can avoid the pastries and French bread! ) for good WW and sourdough bread and amazing soups. There's a chain of convenient stores there that is amazing--they have hard boiled eggs, single servings of cheese, cottage cheese, and all sorts of SBD-safe food. Amazing, but true! We had dinner at an awesome Mediterranean restaurant and I even had dessert, as they serve a strawberry dark chocolate fondue. Yum!!! The Reading Market, as full of temptations as it is, had tons of yummy SBD-safe choices, too (plus it was tons of fun!!!). Have a great time!

to anyone I missed while writing this long post!

Me:
Off to the gym after work. I have book club tonight, which means I will miss our dog obedience class, but DH will take our pup, who has a great time (she'd have a better time if we let her sniff, wiggle, and lick all over the other dogs... ). Usually our book club is a big, congenial pot-luck dinner at one of the members' houses. This one is hosted by a member who didn't feel comfortable having it at her house (don't remember why), so we're doing it at a local B&B. It's a wonderful place that was originally a Civil War Widows home. It's Victorian and huge, so I think it might lack the "coziness" we usually experience in our homes, but that would be okay--except instead of dinner, we're having a dessert buffet. This B&B also does catering and they make amazing food. Thankfully the organizer was really considerate and asked for a fruit plate as well, so that's what I'll be eating. I'll probably bring a piece of reduced fat cheese with me so I have some protein. DH is making dinner which will probably be ready before I get home around 10. I hate eating that late, but that's how it goes on busy nights. We're talking about Pride and Prejudice at book club, so that should be fun. One of our members just announced that she's moving to NC, so it's going to be a sad night because of that.

I can really relate to those of you who are having a hard time fitting exercise in. I really love strength training, but haven't fit it into my exercise routine in a long time. At first my nutritionist didn't want me doing it, and then I just got used to the extra time avoiding it included. I'm going to have to get my behind in gear and fit it in at least on Fridays (my day off) if not on Tuesdays (my other day off). I know that I need to fit in yoga/pilates once a week, too. I love it so much and it makes me feel so good! Unfortunately, the two classes are on nights that I often have stuff going on, and to go, I have to go back to the gym from home. If I go on Thursday I'll have to go, do cardio for a half hour, go home and walk the dog/have a snack, change clothes, and then go back to the gym for yoga. I'll have to see if I can convince DH to go to the gym with me for the second shift--that way I'll have a buddy to tug me off the comfy couch!

How do you get yourself motivated to go to the gym? How do you make the time for it in your schedule? I'd love to hear more!

Last edited by beachgal; 03-03-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:01 AM   #20  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Kara! Thank you for the oatmeal recipe...it was divine! Is Avery too little for gum?
Old 03-03-2008, 10:24 AM   #21  

I'm sitting on hold right now with the gas company. They say 20 more minutes. The bill is in Robert's name and they not only forwarded it him but they changed the address on the account to his PO box. I've paid it online now but I need to see if they will change the account to my name and get the mailing address back to the house. He isn't going to pay it.

I've also got to call this morning to see what I need to do for the family social study that is required. I think I need to go downtown and pay in person and fill out a form which means I am not doing it today in this weather but maybe tomorrow.

I need to get the inventory to my lawyer too. So much stuff to do!

Tonight is our last regular den meeting before the boys cross over to Boy Scouts. I've got paella in the crockpot so I don't need to do anything but make the rice later and toss in the shrimp and peas.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:35 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 218/212/160

Height: 5'8"

Cottage, I didn't even notice your location! My friend lives in Garnet Valley, a stone's throw from the Delaware border. She works in Media. We will stay at her place Thursday night, then we are staying downtown Friday night after shopping and playing all day, (no sales tax on clothing there - whoopie!!) Saturday we are road-tripping to Penn State for the Indiana vs. PSU basketball game (we are both junkies) and staying there Saturday night, then back to her place Sunday night. She's a dentist and I am mooching free work off of her on Monday before I fly back home. So to make a long answer short, we are staying all over!! I visit her about 4 times per year, or so.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:39 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Wow, Barb, how does shrimp in the crockpot turn out? It doesn't turn to rubber?
Old 03-03-2008, 10:39 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 148/142/120

Height: 5'NOTHING

Laurie, I hardly used ANY of the caramel sauce - maybe about half teaspoon total? Honestly, I should have tasted the waffle first, as I think I could eat it just plain. The caramel stuff was in a jar... does that make a difference? I think it was Smuckers brand. I have to limit my sugar substitutes as they give me headaches. I only used a tiny bit of equal (it's what I had) in the batter, too. I will get to the store on Wed to get the Stevia, a natural sweetener. (calorie free)

DD and I *did* have a nice walk. I have walked it a lot but never clocked the distance. It's very hilly, and I push her (35lbs) most of the way except that last LONG hill. It takes me about 45-50 minutes.

Barb - sounds like you're going through a difficult divorce. I admire that you're going through such a stressful time and still managing to eat well and lose.

Well, got to go shower and get the kitchen cleaned. I watch THE VIEW while I do it so I don't feel like it's taking forever. I hate cleaning.... I'm a terrible housekeeper. It's always like pulling teeth!

Krystal
Old 03-03-2008, 10:45 AM   #25  

Fluffy - I have gained a couple of pounds. I'm not eating as well as I should be but much better than I would be if I didn't have South Beach and all my friends here.

schmoodle - In this recipe, I throw in the chicken and ham in the morning with the carrots and other stuff. Then later while the rice and saffron is cooking, I add in the thawed shrimp and the peas and cook for about 20-30 minutes on high, just until the shrimp are done. Then it is fine. You are right that the shrimp would turn rubbery if cooked all day.

Laurie - I keep saying that I will make it to the gym at least when Brian is with his dad but there is so much that ends up needing to be done that I haven't made it yet. I did get out and weedwack and edge this weekend so I got a little exercise (arm muscles are still sore) but I need to at least get on the treadmill. I got stuck on a work call for over two hours last night with users in China, Australia, Malaysia etc so I didn't manage to workout then. I'm sure once it warms up that Brian and I will spend lots of time in our new pool.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:47 AM   #26  
Visualizing the Goal

Laurie, Avery won't be two until May. She has been caught with the gum several times, though! All she does is unwrap a bunch of pieces and chew them and then spit them out, but it's a mess and she chews up ALL MY GUM! Glad you had fun in Philadelphia. The Reading Terminal is one of my favorite places to go in the city!

What's panella, Barbara?

Linda, I made my rice pudding with short-grain brown rice, eggs, skim milk, fat-free half and half, and a little butter. It called for three tablespoons, but I could easily cut it down to two if not one next time. I also added a generous heap of cinnamon, of course, and raisins. I did use brown sugar. Next time I'm going to try the agave nectar. I'm also going to try using just egg whites or Eggbeaters instead of the whole eggs. It won't be the same as the whole milk/heavy cream/regular sugar dessert, but it'll be good! I made it in the crockpot, too. I've become quite the crockpot cook lately!

Kara
Old 03-03-2008, 10:50 AM   #27  
Visualizing the Goal

Speaking of cooking and baking, I'm going to give those bean brownies another go 'round today. I wanted to get to it yesterday but we went to visit Tom's mom instead. I'll let you all know how they come out!

Kara
Old 03-03-2008, 10:57 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

That sounds good, Barb. Now that you mention it, I think i have seen that recipe posted on here somewhere. I love paella, I'll have to give it a try. Kara, paella is a Spanish dish with rice, veggies, and different meats and seafood, flavored with saffron.
Haven't you got those brownies perfected yet Kara? I'm waiting! maybe I'll try them again this week. I've got a can of black beans and some Cool Whip Free.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:58 AM   #29  
Visualizing the Goal

Thanks for the explanation! I'll post my results on the brownies!!!

Kara
Old 03-03-2008, 11:08 AM   #30  

A black bean brownie sounds like the perfect mid-morning snack today, Kara, I'll be right over!

Barb, the paella sounds good, too. That's something I've never made. Everytime you tell us about that darned Robert, I want to come down there and smack him one! This is the best move you've ever made.

Barbie, Media isn't too far from me. Sounds like you're going to have a fun-filled weekend! Maybe we can get together on one of your visits out this way sometime.

Fluff, I'm a fan of THE VIEW, too. I try to catch it whenever I can.

Hey, Laurie! Sounds like we were both in the mood for steelcut oats this morning!

I got the house looking all spiffy again, and just finished sending off the last bill. Now I can play the rest of the day!
Closed Thread