South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 08:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 249.2/see ticker/125

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Default Trying to set some goals

Okay, for all of you who have had success on SB, could I have some help with goal setting. I tend to set my goals to high and then don't make them. The problem is that when I was on Fat Flush, I lost a ton of weight very quickly and now I'm used to that. So, I was thinking the first week is big and then 2 lbs per week?? What have some of you who've lost a lot (I have 80 lbs to lose) averaged? Thanks.

Kristen
Old 10-12-2007, 08:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Kristen, rate of loss during Phase I varies a lot and depends on your starting weight and how you were eating before. Many people lose a bunch and some, like me, only lose a few. But Phase I is really for "detoxing" and I would suggest you not worry so much about weight loss, but focus on learning the ropes (if this is your first time), and getting rid of your cravings. Once you start on Phase 2, you can expect a loss of 1 - 2 lbs a week. I have been doing this for nearly 5 mos. and have lost 38 lbs., averaging just under 2 lbs/wk. You really don't want to lose it very fast, because that's not a healthy way to do it. I had 100 to lose when I started and set a goal of getting it off in a year.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:50 AM   #3  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Honestly, I would not set any goal (that's just me). What you lose depends on how much you have to lose and what your body "does" in reaction to eating healthy foods.

Just hop on board, lose it slowly so you keep it off and remember this is not a "diet" where you lose weight fast, then go back to old bad habits. Let your body do what it does naturally by following a healthy lifestyle for life. I find that I lose about a lb per week...some lose more, some lose less. Some weeks I don't lose any, but have gone from a very tight 16 (probably 18) to a comfortable 10 since April. I've learned it is not a race with the scales.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:27 AM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmecreole View Post
I've learned it is not a race with the scales.
Wise Cat!

Kristen, it's a good thing that you're thinking about setting realistic goals so you don't end up feeling frustrated and guilty.

Some things to think about:
  • it's better to set a smaller goal than you think you'll reach, and lose more than you planned, than to set a large goal and not meet it.
  • Setting lots of small goals (mini goals) is often better than setting one big goal.
  • When you lose slowly, you are more likely to learn the techniques you need to know to keep the weight off...and your skin has more time to adjust to the new size of your body, leading to less sagging. Losing slowly is a GOOD thing.

Pick a date that's special to you--maybe a special occasion or a time when you want to dress up and look especially nice--and set a moderate goal for the amount you think you'll lose by then. Choose a number between what you know you'll accomplish and what you hope you will meet. That way, it's still a bit of a challenge, but not so much that you'll be disappointed. Then decide what your non-food reward will be!

The average for safe weight loss is 1-2 pounds a week. Some weeks, though, you may lose less, and others, you'll lose more. Just remember, slow is GOOD!
Closed Thread