South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 03:16 PM   #1  
Just...t.

S/C/G: 160/125 (135 on planet Earth!)

Height: 5'5"

Default ZERO calorie foods

I think part of my problem currently may be my intake of zer calorie foods- well, drinks mostly. I know the 75 calorie of stuff w/ sweetner rule- but what about using splenda or coke zero (i don't drink a lot of coke- it's mostly herbal tea and coffee.) I usually have 2 cups of coffee and several cups of iced herbal tea a day, do you think this could be slowing my weight loss down? How do you all account for that??
TIA,
Old 04-24-2007, 04:17 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Lots of people are at work and will reply a bit later.

Perhaps you could switch to plain water for a while and see what happens. Although SPlenda and zero coke are advertised as no calories, they are allowed to say that if their calories are less than one such as .9 so you could be taking in extra calories. Are you logging your food in fitday?

I'm a bit confused over your S/C/G. Are you setting 125 as your goal or 135?
Old 04-24-2007, 04:22 PM   #3  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Hi. Herbal teas without added sugars are not restricted and caffenated products are allowed twice a day. Are you using Splenda in your herbal tea?
Old 04-24-2007, 04:34 PM   #4  
Just...t.

I do not drink ANYTHING unsweetened. And I rarely drink anything unless I'm eating except my coffee. I hate water worse than I hate eggs (okay, just as much!) I don't like the taste of water, save a few bottled waters which I cannot afford to keep in stock. It actually makes me nauseus to drink it. Which is why I was wondering if there was a method for counting things such as splenda that appear to be 0 calories. I mean at some quantity there is eventually going to be calories, that's logical but since the nutritional information we're given is for 1 serving I don't know how to account for that.
Sorry about the bump, it was just getting a bit down the way and I really wanted some perspective on this issue.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 222/=ticker=/150

Height: 5'7"

I would try the water like Ruth said. If you really hate the taste maybe add a slice of lemon or something. I don't think that you'll be able to check on the calories from diet soda but I do believe on the box of splenda it says something about it being a 0 calorie food up until 8 tsp. I could be wrong it could be 8 tbsp. I don't use splenda in the packet form I use the box with the pour spout. Hope that helps a little.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:44 PM   #6  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

There is an on-going debate about the merits of artificial sweetner and their impact on weight loss. Some studies say it has no impact and other studies say our bodies can recognize it to be sugar and it can cause insulin spikes. Some 3FC friends swear that using too much makes them stop losing weight. I drink 2 cups of coffee a day and use about 3 tsp per cup. I also might have SF jello in the evening. I havent noticed a problem with losing weight while using Splenda other than having to run to the bathroom if I use too much! (sorry if thats TMI) Maybe you are one of the people for which it can cause a problem.

I understand that you hate water....I didnt like it much either. Have you tried drinking it at room temperature? Have you tried one of the water filtering pitchers? This is what I use and my water doesnt taste too bad.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:51 PM   #7  
Just...t.

Yeah, I'm hopless. I actually eat a lot of organic foods and hate using a man made sweetener but I cannot not have sweet things. I much prefer to use organic german rock sugar. I agree about the too much splenda or any other sweetener but I honestly don't like to drink much of anything (I've had a diet coke open on my desk since 12:00 and theres about 2 oz out of it) so take away the stuff I sweeten and I'd be drinking only if I was dehydrated enough to notice. I only drink water that is filtered by ozone filtration. I know I keep saying I hate stuff, it makes me sound picky, when in fact you can put about any veggies in front of me and I will eat them, but Lemon falls into the stuff I can't stand categorie.
I know this sounds weird. I wasn't really looking for a way to fix my not liking stuff just wondering if there was a way to account for those unseen calories.
does that make sense.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:13 AM   #8  
Acoustically Sound

S/C/G: 224/208/190

Height: 6'6"

SB aside, it seems to me that if the sweetners help to keep you eating healthy that you shouldn't stress them so much.

The added calories of Splenda (if any) et al... look like they would be so minimal that you could offset them by parking a little further away from the door or using the stairs a little more.

...and I agree w/girlygirl - I can't drink cold water, but I can drink it at room temperature all day.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:03 PM   #9  
Just...t.

Thanks Joe! I tend to agree, but felt like I may have been lying to myself. I figure it's a right sight better than the way I was eating. Best of luck to you and your wife!!
Closed Thread