South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 02:57 AM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Question When My Head is Hungry, Instead of Eating, I Can...

Just to clarify, 'head hunger' is when your stomach is full, but you still want to eat...from boredom, sadness, etc.

Let's use this post to encourage each other to do healthier things to cope with our head hunger than diving head-first into a bag of mixed nuts. Okay? I know you all have fantastic ideas!!! Here are some of the ones that work for me:
  • Go for a walk (take the dog...good for you, good for her!)
  • Write in my journal about how I'm feeling and why I want to eat. If I'm still wanting to eat, I can write about what I think will happen if I eat and how that could help my feelings/problem. Usually I figure out a better way.
  • Call someone (or jump onto 3FC and type someone! )
  • Keep my hands busy...doing craft projects, typing, petting our animals, etc.
  • Keep my mouth busy...drink water, chew SF gum, talk!
  • Read! (check out our book thread for tons of great ideas...) Sometimes it helps to read books about people struggling with eating or suggesting ways to deal with it...I'm sure many of us can suggest some great ones if you want!
  • Take a bath (complete with blow-up pillow, soothing music, candles, a great book...)
  • Do some yoga positions/meditate/deep breathe/scream! Whatever you need to do to vent tension...do it!
  • Spend time with kids. This always re-energizes me...and their simple outlook on life sometimes just puts everything into perspective!
  • Do some acts of charity...sometimes focusing on others' problems takes you outside of yourself!

Okay... your turn!

What do you do to deal with your 'head hunger?' We want to know!
Old 03-22-2007, 03:29 AM   #2  

I'm not really a South Beach Chick (though I've been thinkin' about it....) anyway, I love all your ideas and to add:
- go window shopping (I find looking at clothing that I'll be more confident wearing when I'm slimmer personally...)

- make a list of all the reasons why I don't need what my mind craves

- tell myself: "if you're actually hungry, go eat a salad (or something that I don't crave)" it helps me realize that I'm not looking for fuel, I'm looking for tasty food because I don't usually go and eat a salad after thinking I'm "hungry"

- brush my teeth, floss

- paint my nails and toenails

- I have some pictures of clothing (mostly swimsuits) bookmarked on my computer for motivation when I feel myself sliding.

- chill out with my cat.
Closed Thread