South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 07:56 AM   #31  
Sue

It calls for the paper ones but I just don't ever trust them for not sticking. I used the foiled ones and I sprayed them with Pam lightly. I did see pictures of these where they were baked in paper ones and that is what it calls for so maybe they do fine.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:26 AM   #32  

Quote:
The 'weak feeling' could be just a result of detoxing from sugar, but it could be other things, too. If you still have it after five days, consult your doctor, okay? Most people have detoxed by the fifth day. You can also feel weak or tired from dehydration (drink lots of water!), from lack of protein, or from letting your blood sugar drop. You're making sure you eat about ever three hours, right?
Quote:
ksk, have you made any changes to your caffiene intake, cutting out sodas or coffee? That affected me when I started, as I was used to having at least two cups of coffee in the morning and at least a couple sodas throughout the day.
Before starting SB, I was already doing a "good" carb, high protein, higher fat diet. I have been doing very low caffeine intake for the past several years. I have moments (some of the larger than others ) where I fall back into old patterns and have sugar, caffeine, and "bad" carbs for a few days/weeks. Usually I don't have any of these problems when I return back to my way of eating except that it's harder to start losing each time (Darned yo-yo dieting! ) The main thing that is different for me is the lower fats. I was used to using heavy cream, cream cheese and sour cream in a lot of dishes. That helped me in eating more veggies....amazing how better veggies taste when they are mixed with a ton of sour cream! (I'm going to miss my cauliflower cooked like party potatoes!)

I read You:On a Diet and now SB, and decided I would rather focus on eating healthy instead of focusing just on losing weight. I thought I was eating until full, but maybe I've been eating until I can't stomach the salad, eggs, etc anymore. I'll have to watch to see if maybe I'm not eating enough.

Quote:
Hummus is delicious! It's a middle-eastern dip made from pureed chickpeas, sesame paste (tahini), olive oil, lemon, garlic, and some spices. You can get a ton of different flavors--my favorite is the roasted red pepper one, which is a little sweet. You can find it in the dairy sectoin of any grocery store; it's very common and popular. It's a wonderful dip for veggies because it not only has protein, it has good fats!
Quote:
ksk571 If you have food texture issues, you might have a problem with hummus. I've had those texture issues too, and I had a problem with hummus. Just an FYI
Thanks for the info! I ran to the grocery store last night to pick up more lettuce and a few other things to try. I've been looking for the different flavored varieties of the Lite Laughing Cow cheese (can't find anything but plain) and I saw the hummus next to it. I picked up one that was roasted tomato something or other. I haven't tried it yet, but hopefully won't have the texture issues you mentioned.

The reason I eat so many salads is because I don't care for much of anything else. I will be trying some of the ideas that beachgal and LitChick suggested! Hopefully I will find something that I like!

I'm also going to have to try the cream cheese muffins (I have a similar recipe with a few no-no ingredients that I loved - and also not good warm!) and the quiche cups for my breakfasts!

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions!
Karen
Old 03-15-2007, 02:35 PM   #33  
Your Cruise Director

Coffee is one of my weaknesses. I've been sticking with 1 cup in the morning and then going for decaf the rest of the day. Though last night and this morning are exceptions. Last night I had coffee as i was working on homework. Next time I'll buy a bottle of water from there instead.
And this morning I finished half of my normal drip then went for a free fill up at Starbucks as its free coffee day.

Caffiene really is one of my stumbling blocks. I gave it up for lent last year, and wonder if its time to revist its hold on me.

On the other hand, I am facing a potluck today that I made corned beef and cupcakes for. Didnt lick the beaters, didnt lick the sugar off my fingers , didnt delve off plan at all

Old 03-15-2007, 04:35 PM   #34  
Working for the Cruise!

Congratulations to you Seattlejo! Not even licking the spoon? BRAVO!

Beachgal and I have long since agreed on "the salad factor" of this
diet. I don't officially begin P1 again until April 1st, but we've
been slowly working into it. Right now, I eat salad once or twice a
week because my best friend is doing this with me and she doesn't enjoy
many vegetables either. This girl doesn't like tomatoes, cucumbers,
broccoli, cauliflower, nothing! It's going to be tough, I know.

Anyway, I digress, salad on P1 for me is an "in an emergency situation"
fix. I understand about being too busy, believe me. 2 jobs, plus
college, plus husband, plus household. Life is busy! However, life isn't going to change just because we are putting on a few too
many pounds and need time to do something about it....(in fact, it may get worse!).

If you pop in here on a Sunday morning, you'll find a number of us in
the daily chat talking about what are cooking plans for the day are.
Many of us shop Saturdays, cook Sundays, and eat the rest of the week.
Freezing individual portions is so very helpful for me. If you have a
family, freeze dinner! If you have to defrost more of something in
order to eat seconds, you're more likely to say no. Have a cup of tea
instead.

If you enjoy salad, great! Eat lots and enjoy! However, if you start
to get bored seriously take into consideration the cooking one day of
the week method. If Sunday doesn't work for you, find a day that
does.

Meals constantly in my freezer:
Broccoli-Cheese soup
Black Bean Soup
Taco Bake
Protein-Packed Breakfast Cheesecake cups
Pepper-Lime Marinated Dump Chicken

I toss new stuff in every week, but these are staples. DH loves certain SBD recipes as well. Many of the ones posted in this forum are easy to prepare, taking no more than 30 minutes usually. Some of our favorites:
Feta Chicken Bake
Almond Dijon Chicken
Egg Crepe Manicotti
Cauliflower "Popcorn"

BTW, on the Breakfast cheesecake cups that some of you were
discussing....they do not taste good warm, but are wonderful chilled!
I take one out of the freezer the night before and put it in the
fridge. They go wonderfully with a latte!

On ways to prep veggies I have two words: BALSAMIC VINEGAR! I love
anything roasted, and especially roasted with balsamic vinegar!
Mmmmm.....

Ok, stepping down from the soapbox now. You may now throw tomatoes,
but I think we'd do better eating them!
Old 03-15-2007, 05:08 PM   #35  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Wow! Look at the great stuff in this thread. Talk about support and ideas!
Old 03-15-2007, 05:12 PM   #36  

One of my favorite veggies to fix is to stir fry some chunks of cabbage and red onion slices in a little olive oil and top it with Newman's Own Light Balsamic Vinaigrette. It is almost the same as what is described in teh Pork and Pepper Salad recipe in the cookbook (just minus the pork and the peppers ). It tastes almost sweet and I often make it when I fix a veggie for my son that I don't like. He can eat lima beans and I'll eat my cabbage/onions.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:06 PM   #37  
Your Cruise Director

So now that I've weighed in and registered a loss I understand why people people consider extending phase 1. To step on the scale this morning and read a 7lb loss was amazing.

I'd planned with three weeks of phase 1, then I'll go into phase 2 adding an item back a week and seeing how it works. I also think I'll try adding in some exercise this week to help sustain this weeks loss and nudge next weeks along.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:49 PM   #38  
Sue

I made the taco bake the other evening. Acutally I made it that morning and then transfered it to the crock pot for the afternoon. It was SO good!!! I had to fudge a little and use some Enchilada sauce instead of the tom. paste. If you like Mexican dishes you'll like this! The recipe is under phase one main dishes I think.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:16 PM   #39  

I loved the taco bake, but my hubby didn't like it much.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:52 PM   #40  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I'm starting a Phase I Thread for the coming week. Monday seems like the start of the week, right?
Old 03-18-2007, 08:07 PM   #41  
Losing on the Beach

S/C/G: 205/ticker/164

Height: 5'5

Sounds good to me One week down and one more to go...then fruit
Closed Thread